Topic: ScriptInterface  (Read 7465 times)

Re: ScriptInterface
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

Homes32

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
 Fixed! thanks. :embarrassed:

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 04:43:59 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Hi Homes32,

thanks, updated both to Gena and W7PE SE servers with other minor things  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 02:10:50 AM »

paraglider

• Chef
Chm updated.

Its never a good idea to break an api by deleting existing commands. Just because you don't use them does not mean people out there did not.

Remember all the bad feeling that was generated when latest versions of winbuilder broke backwards compatibility.

I think common api is becoming harder and harder to use with this trend to replace single function names with a common function name followed by a parameter. ShowComponent was almost obvious wheres as ScriptInterface,State is not.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 02:17:02 AM »

paraglider

• Chef
Online version is here:

wb.paraglidernc.com/help

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 02:22:03 AM »

paraglider

• Chef
latest css and template I use for writing help pages is here:

wb.paraglidernc.com/template.7z

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 02:42:08 AM »

Galapo

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Its never a good idea to break an api by deleting existing commands. Just because you don't use them does not mean people out there did not.

Fortunately it's very easy to add back in if anyone requests this. :thumbsup:

Remember all the bad feeling that was generated when latest versions of winbuilder broke backwards compatibility.

In this case, the bad feelig is generated because there's no way that any end user can change things and re-add something back if so desired. Further, it's not simply that that generated the bad feeling, but such things being done without any consultation. In this case, these changes are being done in discussion with PE1, 2, and 3 project maintainers.

I think common api is becoming harder and harder to use with this trend to replace single function names with a common function name followed by a parameter. ShowComponent was almost obvious wheres as ScriptInterface,State is not.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I for one appreciate the uniting of functions.

'ShowComponent' wasn't very obvious, whereas 'ScriptInterface' is. Maybe we could change 'ScriptInterface,State' to 'ScriptInterface,Setting' -- would that be more descriptive and obvious?

Thanks,
Galapo.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:42:51 AM by Galapo »

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 03:44:59 AM »

Homes32

• Code Baker
  • Chef
@paraglider

thanks for the template.

state was chosen to give the command a bit of flexibility for the future. currently it only does show/hide right now but whats to say in the future peter does not add "enabled/disabled" as an option.
its probably not the perfect word to use but autoit uses something similar (GUICtrlSetState) and it seems to be well accepted. like Galapo said though, feel free to suggest something better.  :smile:

as for your opinion on combining commands, I myself have some mixed feelings on the subject, but The idea is to make CAPI easier to use and maintain by having similar commands grouped by function rather than many CAPI commands all by themselves. certainly this isn't appropriate for all functions, but in this case with ScriptInterface I think it works well.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 04:00:54 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Homes32,

I feel better post ScriptInterface things here.

today I found time to check things to be used with ScriptInterface
check following Interface Elements.script

Things I notice:
ScriptInterface,Write --? what to write

as far as I know, since requirement made for textlabel, answer is textlabel value, reminding there is also textlabel tooltip (in fact all elemets have tooltip ;))

expanding examples with others, like RadioGroup, what to write ? answer popularly value, but what if radiogroup title or one of elements label wanted to be changed....... well checking all elements (weblabel, checklist etc.) you will see the big picture  :thumbsup:

no need to scare ;)
to avoid misunderstanding:
I do not ask all write-read features exists with ScriptWrite from first day  :lol:,
such task would be boring, not fun  :thumbsup:
with other words, it is fine to me only textlabel and whatever you see prior written etc. :great:

What I ask is: having ScriptInterface syntax that would easly cover all elements/subelements in future during evolution  :great:

ex: current ScriptInterface,Write,NewValue,Filename,ComponentName[,Position][,Interface] do not have gap to add tooltip in future, and other elements features.......

feel full free, you know ScriptWrite not used by any project  :cheers:

edit: attachment added  :whistling:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:01:50 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 02:03:48 AM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
I am 100% agree and also on the Wb syntax that is not appropriate for this kind of thing.
 :cheers:

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »

Homes32

• Code Baker
  • Chef
What I ask is: having ScriptInterface syntax that would easly cover all elements/subelements in future during evolution  :great:

ex: current ScriptInterface,Write,NewValue,Filename,ComponentName[,Position][,Interface] do not have gap to add tooltip in future, and other elements features.......

it is possible with current implantation, you just need to set the position of the element, so I think your request is more of a documentation feature? as it may not be very clear to the user because positions can be different depending on the property you are trying to edit. or perhaps you are confusing position of property to write to with the actual physical position of the element?

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi homes32,

I missed position badly.....  :lol:
I thought automating tooltip, rethinking again it is not required, hence I feel all ok  :thumbsup:
except, I guess write bug still waiting to be workarounded via au3 by you ?