Topic: System Root Option?  (Read 16059 times)

Re: System Root Option?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 03:12:05 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Ok, new scripts on the server which fix the issue.
Getting close, but not quite there yet I'm sorry to say.   When I choose "Run from CD" as the default setting in the new 4 ProgramFilesPE.script, booting the build still sets the %CDDrive% variable to X: (same as %SystemDrive%) rather than the actual CD (or other) boot drive on which the program files are located.  And the two variables for %ProgramFiles% and %CommonProgramFiles% are still getting set with those #$pCDDrive#$p literals rather than with percent signs as %CDDrive%.  The end result is that none of the shortcuts (including autostarts) work for proggies external to the BootDI image.  If I manually correct those variables in the environment and then run BroadcastEnvChange.exe, then it fixes everything else (except the shortcuts) and I'm able to run all of the program executables directly.

Also, Lancelot has sent me some updated app scripts to upload which better support your multiarch boot scenario. I'll begin uploading these shortly.
I think I got the ones that you're referring to.  They look good to me, although it wasn't my intention to instigate any kind of fundamental  Martin Luther-type "reformation" in Gena's developmental path.  I don't have that kind of "religious" self-assurance that I'm on the right path myself.  I'll be more than happy if we can just get this "Run from CD" default thing working as it should.  Is there any other way in which I can help with that effort?

__

UPDATE / CLARIFICATION:

It seems to work okay (more or less) if I boot the ISO in Best Emulation (qemu), but not if I try actually booting the BOOTDISKIMAGE.IMG on a real drive that has the Programs CD folder on it.  In the former case, at least most "shortcuts" work as it sets the %CDDrive% variable to something other than the system drive letter. Even in emulation, however, I'm still getting those #$pCDDrive#$p literals in the %ProgramFiles% and %CommonProgramFiles% environment variables.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:07:01 PM by Arvy »

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I'll investigate.
 :detective:

Thanks,
Galapo.

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Okey dokey.  Please don't hesitate to throw as many testing chores at me as might possibly help your effort.  I have both time and DVD discs that I will gladly contribute to the cause in any way that will actually be helpful.

I'm not sure exactly how the %CDDrive% setting gets triggered during the boot process (???), but if it's in any way related to the MountVolCmd.cmd process, here's what mine looks like:
Code: [Select]
%systemdrive%
cd %systemdrive%\
cls
mountvol.exe
@echo off
ECHO.
ECHO.
Echo Unmount Example:
Echo mountvol.exe G:\ /D
ECHO.
ECHO Mount Example:
ECHO mountvol G:\ \\?\Volume{17f0a3a0-579e-11df-839d-806d6172696f}
ECHO.
ECHO Important1: Avoid using A:\
ECHO Important2: DO NOT mount Fake floppy device
Echo.
@echo on
cmd.exe

The eSATA drive that I usually use for running "experimental" tests is my G: drive.

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Richard,

I've uploaded a few updated scripts and apps to the server. I'm hoping now that this fixes the issue.

Note that when you set your 'Program Files' (or whatever you have named it) to be RunFromCD that a tag file 'CD.DRIVE' is created in the root of the ISO. If you are locating your 'Program Files' on another drive, make sure that you have moved this tag file also.

Regards,
Galapo.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:12:22 PM by Galapo »

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Almost there!!! Two out of three.  Works perfectly on CD/DVD drives and on USB sticks where I'm typing this now.  BUT whatever process is supposed to find and set that %CDDrive% variable appears to be ignoring all HDDs, including eSATA drives.  Where is that process anyhow (if it's not a "trade secret"  :tongue:) and is the source code available for revision?  I really do prefer using eSATA drives for their speed if nothing else.

Your latest revisions appear to have fixed everything else.  All of the environment variables are now set properly if and when that CD.DRIVE flag file gets found and the %CDDrive variable is set accordingly.  (If not, %CDDrive% still gets set to X: which doesn't work, of course.)  And there appears to be one minor typo in the new Common_Api.script on line 1242:
StrFormat,POS,packall%,".|.",%packall_check%
  I think it's missing one percent sign and should be:
StrFormat,POS,%packall%,".|.",%packall_check%

Great job, Galapo!  You defintely deserve a lobster dinner with all the trimmings for your effort, and if you ever make it to the "Great White North" I'll make sure that you get one.  Just look me up on my web site and I'll take you to my favourite chef for food as opposed to code.  :w00t:

Now if we can just tell that CD.DRIVE "discoverer" to stop ignoring my eSATA, I'll be really happy.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Richard,

Yes, it's ignoring other drives by design. It is RunFromCD so the search is limited to CD drives and USB disks. Maybe this could be optionally extended to other drives?

AU3 code currently used in ExpEnvVar.exe (the program you're wondering about):

$pedrive = StringLeft(@WindowsDir,1) & ":"
$PsyhCD = ""
$Drives = DriveGetDrive("ALL")
For $i = 1 to $Drives[0]
$Drives[$i] = StringUpper($Drives[$i])
$DriveType = DriveGetType($Drives[$i])
If DriveGetType($Drives[$i]) = "Removable" or DriveGetType($Drives[$i]) = "CDROM" Then
If DriveStatus($Drives[$i]) <> "NOTREADY" Then
If FileExists($Drives[$i] & "\" & $tag) Then
$PsyhCD = $Drives[$i]
ExitLoop
EndIf
EndIf
EndIf
Next
If $PsyhCD = "" Then $PsyhCD = $pedrive
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment",$DrvVar,"REG_EXPAND_SZ",$PsyhCD)
EnvUpdate()

Thanks for picking up on my mistake in CAPI -- I'll fix.

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
And thanks for the offer of lobster -- I love seafood. :dinnertime:

My wife has previously worked in Canada for two years. I'd love to see the country, but lack of finances is an issue -- particuarly after the last years of PhD study has left us broke. But who knows what the future holds?

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Well, if you'd like to post a recompiled "extended" edition of ExpEnvVar.exe for me here or elsewhere, Jane and I will be pleased to make you and your wife our guests for as much North Atalantic lobster as you care to consume whenever your fortunes allow such broader travel plans.  I fully sympathise with those academic costs.  But if you don't  "extend" ExpEnvVar.exe  to accomodate eSATA drives, I'm gonna squeal to your wife about making the offer.  :lol:

:bravo:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:10:29 PM by Arvy »

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:46 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Our options would be:

1) Extend ExpEnvVar.exe to also allow eSATA drivers; or
2) Extend ExpEnvVar.exe to accept a new parameter, eg '/dt:all' = drive type can be anything

Anyway, I'm curious to find out how your system reports the eSATA drive. Can you run this program I've just compiled from the commandline with a single parameter specifying the drive letter of your eSATA drive, eg 'GetBus.exe D:'. Please post back with what was returned.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3801579/temp/GetBus.exe

Thanks,
Galapo.

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2011, 01:23:29 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Sorry for being slow.  That drive was in the middle of a backup operation that I didn't want to risk disturbing.  It's a WD 1TB drive on a JMicron SATA/eSATA controller.  Here is the output from GetBus.exe G:
Type: Fixed
Bus: 0

As long as floppies are excluded, using or not using an optional parameter probably won't matter a lot either way. I found Win7PE SE's CdUsb.Y searching quite slow if there is a floppy drive installed on the machine.  I think it's supposed to exclude floppies (certainly should) but their mere presence seems to affect the speed of the discovery process.  I suppose it has to check everything to some limited extent just to find out what it is.  Checking all HDDs, on the other hand, doesn't seem to take any time at all.  So I guess the optional approach is largely a matter for your own discretionary judgement.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 12:57:56 AM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Thanks for that.

Next week I'll be able to get this working for you.

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 01:54:19 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Great!  I'll be looking forward to that final step in facilitating my own personal "mission accomplished" with bated breath.  I sincerely hope that, considering current hardware trends, it may actually facilitate others as well.  And thank YOU!

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Richard,

Ok, I've got something for you to test.

Put this file to 'Tools\Gena': http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3801579/temp/ExpEnvVar.exe
Put this file to 'Tools\Gena\x86': http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3801579/temp/ExpEnvVar_x86.exe
Put this file to 'Tools\Gena\x64': http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3801579/temp/ExpEnvVar_x64.exe

Then rebuild the project with your settings and hopefully your Programs folder on your eSATA driver will be used.

I've still got one thing I'd like to do on the recommendation of Lancelot. That is in the odd case where the tag file specified is located on two (or more) drives, to provide a selection box from which the desired drive is selected.

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Jeez, can't you Aussies get that continent shifted to a civilized time zone!  :lol:

I was only able to test the x86 version as I don't have a 64-bit PE1 (WinXP/2003) source at my disposal at the moment.  What I was able to test, however, works perfectly as far as I'm concerned; which is to say that it does exactly what I want it to.

In the case where more than one drive is flagged as CD.DRIVE, it just selects one of them (probably the last one it sees based on that part of the AutoIt ExpEnvVar script that you showed me) and assigns its drive letter to the %CDDrive% environment variable.  That's not a problem for me as any of my drives thus flagged also include the Programs folder that I share amongst all of my PE builds.

I suppose a selectable results option could be nice to have in some cases.  For purely selfish reasons, I think I'd recommend that that feature have an "on/off" switch if you decide to include it.  Your original idea about making the HDD checking feature selectable (possibly with a short note about its multi-flagging consequences) might be preferable IMO.

Once again, THANK YOU very much for this.  For me, it's the answer to many wants and wishes.
 :rockon:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:52:14 PM by Arvy »
Regards, Richard

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 01:01:24 AM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Jeez, can't you Aussies get that continent shifted to a civilized time zone!  :lol:

That would be quite an upheaval!

I was only able to test the x86 version as I don't have a 64-bit PE1 (WinXP/2003) source at my disposal at the moment. 

I wasn't sure what you were going to test, so I just provided both x86 and x64 version just in case.

What I was able to test, however, works perfectly as far as I'm concerned; which is to say that it does exactly what I want it to.

Great, thanks for testing. I'll work at getting this finished this week and on the server.

Thanks,
Galapo.

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2011, 01:16:57 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Great, thanks for testing. I'll work at getting this finished this week and on the server.

You're more than welcome.  One must assume, of course, that the "official gatekeepers" don't suddenly decide that your project, like yourself, is no longer welcome on "their" server.  Considering the pettiness level that seems to continue to evolve in certain quarters, it would seem that one can no longer exclude almost any possibility.  Very sad, and more than a little nauseating.  :sad:

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
One must assume, of course, that the "official gatekeepers" don't suddenly decide that your project, like yourself, is no longer welcome on "their" server.

Towards the end of when LiveXP was being maintained by us, it was getting more and more difficult to update the project as FTP access was dropped. Hence I obtained my own server at that time. Then a chance window opened where we were able to relocate the LiveXP project back on its home servers, issue our last update there, and hand the reins back to its founder.

At that point, we began heavy work on the new project which in time we named Gena. It is hosted on my own server, so I'm not too concerned what the "official gatekeepers" to which you refer think of this. Development was getting too hampered the way it was.

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Phew!  That's a relief.  I thought maybe your own domain was linked to the "official" WB server.  I'm very glad to hear that it's entirely under your own management.  :thumbsup:

P.S.:  If you ever need any additional (North American) server resources, mine are currently used for little more than a retirement hobby.  The only risks there would be related to the advanced age of the owner. :wink:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:39:23 AM by Arvy »

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Richard,

Thanks indeed for the offer of server resources. Let's see how things trundle along. I guess one thing we could potentially make use of it would be by locating the ZIP archives of the project rather than on mediafire.

New ExpEnvVar is now on the server. :smile:

Regards,
Galapo.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:16:59 PM by Galapo »

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Thanks indeed for the offer of server resources. Let's see how things trundle along. I guess one thing we could potentially make use of it would be by locating the ZIP archives of the project rather than on mediafire.

No problem at all.  My server space and bandwidth (and databases if of any use to you) are all "unlimited".  The only limits are on CPU resources.  No amount of simple uploading/downloading is likely to encounter any problem in that area regardless of file sizes or numbers.  I'll set up an unlimited FTP account and subdomain for you on my virtech.org server later today and PM you with the login details.  Would you prefer galapo.virtech.org or gena.virtech.org or both or something else entirely?  Or, if you have a "spare" domain name that you could use, the alternative would be pointing its registration at my host DNS servers which would make it a full "addon" domain of its own.

In any case, the "unlimited" option is there for you to use or not in any way you choose, now or later, entirely under your own control .. except, of course, for the presence of the usual god-like host server admins on any system.

New ExpEnvVar is now on the server. :smile:
Great!  Maybe now it'll stop telling me that mine aren't consistent with the current server versions.  :tongue:

__
P.S.: Pending your response, I've created a temporary set-up at http://galapo.virtech.org/ so that you can log in and play around a bit to see if it might suit any of your purposes.  Have fun.  No limits.  For me it's merely a hobby server.  So if it's any use to you, you're entirely welcome.  I have no idea what it will be like for large trans-Pacific transfers.  That will depend much more on routing, pipelines and endpoint connections than on the server itself.

P.P.S.:  And the same offer extends to ChrisR et al if they need any extra server resoures.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:17:06 AM by Arvy »