Topic: Two minor questions.  (Read 6627 times)

Two minor questions.
« on: July 03, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Lacking any real developmental skill, my efforts to provide some useful help have been focussed mainly on project packaging and the server hosting therof.  In Gena's case, that has raised one minor question about the organization of "appetizer", "meal" and "sweets" scripts on the project server and one about a default setting in a primary build script.

From what I'm able to see, almost all of the scripts that have Download Level=2 (the ones that are included in the "complete" server selection but not in the "recommended" server selection) are located under the Gena-Sweets folder.  And those scripts, in turn, make up the "sweets" addon package.  There are, however, two exceptions:  RemovableDeviceUSB3.script and Acronis-DiskDirector10.script, both of which are Download Level=2 but are located under the main Gena folder when downloaded from the project server.  Should they not be located with all the other Download Level=2 scripts under Gena-Sweets and similarly included in the "sweets" addon package rather than in the main "meal" package?

My other question is about the CoreMain.script default setting.  When downloaded, the option for "Enable CoreMain (Standalone) - Enables CoreMain build fixes when RegFactory disabled" is unchecked.  So, if I understand correctly, unless the user changes at least one ot the project's defaults as downloaded (either enables that option or enables RegFactory) some things don't get included in the PE build that probably should be.  Or have I misunderstood the purpose of that CoreMain option?  Should its compensatory "build fixes" option not be checked by default?  According to what it says, it only applies them when RegFactory isn't enabled anyhow.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:27:42 PM by Arvy »

Re: Two minor questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Hi Arvy,

Thanks for heads up, 2 scripts missed from eyes, they should have been Download Level=1 (acronis since popular and small, ufd3 since driver)
corrected  :thumbsup:

CoreMain setting is correct, but english used on defination is not good enough.
Story:
When RegFactory (RF) enabled, these things comes via another path during RF build,
FxScript provided an additional/seperate checkbox for things he thinks fundemantal, which some people also like to have at their none-RF builds.
They are not* mandatory, hence unchecked as default  :thumbsup:
things: as far as I remember, mainly* more complete set of nls files & regs following sourcecd language, additionaly some most frequently used dll etc.

more words on next post.......

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
I am guessing, you are preparing a nice "download" button to get latest files on server ready and packed.

If I am not wrong, I remember Galapo learned some php things from you to get such thing work, and succeed, but sadly due to bandwidth limitations not actualized......

connecting to pps at post 42 (ps: my reply 44 was before I had seen this topic..):

I always loved such option  :thumbup: :clap:
Thanks to you working on such thing, and providing your server resources.

About W7PESE, I guess we will also have W7PE SE-Appetizer kind package (or whatever ChrisR decide to give name etc.) in some future, but requires some time....

About Gena's Appetizer, it is trimmed down version of Download Level=0 to get a verry small size (Download Level=-1  :lol:)

currently we use zip232xn.zip with following

Code: [Select]
set cudate=20110001
set zipfilenameBP=Gena_%cudate%-Appetizer.zip

zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% WinBuilder.exe
zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% WinBuilder.ini
zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\script.project

zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Basic
zip.exe -d %zipfilenameBP% "Projects\Gena\Basic\Build\1 - RegFactory.Script"
zip.exe -r -d %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Basic\Shells\Core
zip.exe -d %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Basic\Shells\FineTune\EarlyStarter.script
zip.exe -d %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Basic\Shells\FineTune\MiscSettings.Script
zip.exe -d %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Basic\Xerox\00-4_BackupRestore_Basic.script

zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% "Projects\Gena\Finish\2 Create Image\CreateISO.script"

zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Utils
zip.exe -d %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Utils\Gena_changelog_Backup_20100908.script
zip.exe -d %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\Utils\Gena_changelog_Backup_20110315.script

zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Gena\VirtualTest

zip.exe -r -9 -S %zipfilenameBP% Projects\Tools

Still all like "date" builds, which serves
1) annoucment to new release after project admin(s) decide to....
2) it greatly helps figuring out some bugs, end user saying 20xxx working but with 20xxx not... etc...

with the lack of very important thing, active package, but now with you  :celebrate: :smiling9:
I may suggest,
"Gena Archives->"Current Gena Meal " at the top,
and
"W7PESE Archives->Current W7PESE Complete " at the top,

would fit all requirements of today....

I hope I could explain with my bad English  :cool:

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 04:28:45 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Thanks for heads up, 2 scripts missed from eyes, they should have been Download Level=1 (acronis since popular and small, ufd3 since driver) corrected  :thumbsup:

In that case, I guess I need to delete the latest packages that I uploaded for Galapo.  I put those two scripts into the "sweets" package based on their Download Level and all of the Download Level=0 scripts into the "appetizer" package.  In the circumstances, I guess there is just no consistent way of automating the Gena script packages creation process based on their Download Level on the project server.

FxScript provided an additional/seperate checkbox for things he thinks fundemantal, which some people also like to have at their none-RF builds. They are not* mandatory, hence unchecked as default  :thumbsup:

Well, he's exactly right IMO.  The "Mandatory" script rating is an entirely separate and different issue.  But I certainly agree that its compensatory processing is fundamental as some other application scripts (can't remember exactly which ones) won't work properly without the system additions (e.g., grpconv.exe) provided by either that CoreMain script or RegFactory -- one or the other.  So I still think that its compensatory option (run CoreMain additions if RegFactory is not enabled) should be checked by default.

I am guessing, you are preparing a nice "download" button to get latest files on server ready and packed.

Yes, I was actually thinking of something like that as a "workload reducer" for Galapo and ChrisR.  But based on your response, I guess it just isn't possible. The currently available "flat file" script information on the project server doesn't provide any consistent basis for the packaging process.  To bad, but that's life, I guess.  I'll get rid of those mispackaged updates that I uploaded for Galapo to the gena.virtech.org subdomain.

I may suggest, "Gena Archives->"Current Gena Meal " at the top, and "W7PESE Archives->Current W7PESE Complete" at the top, would fit all requirements of today....

The issue is the linking of dated filename URLs (href=) themselves, not their link titles.  Any labelling anyone wants for the download links on the two virtech.org subdomain sites themselves is not a problem.  That's up to the subdomain "owners" as far as I'm concerned; just trying to give them a little head start and save them some FTP time.  But it's individually updating all those other variously dated filename URLs in the links posted here and there around the universe that I was thinking about.  If there was one file per package (href="domain/.../packagename_current.zip") that always corresponded to the latest update for that package, it would avoid that problem.

connecting to pps at post 42 (ps: my reply 44 was before I had seen this topic.. ):

Please don't be so anxious.  Relax.  Enjoy life. :smile:  I have no doubt that we'll get it all sorted out eventually to everyone's satisfaction.  But it takes a little time and a little careful consideration with all the parties involved rather than quick answers and snap decisions.

__
Afterthought: What would everyone (especially the two subdomain "owners") think about my possibly creating a database for them that would contain all of the script filenames and the corresponding data for their versioning and packaging?  Would that be helpful, or just create more work to keep it updated?  To my way of thinking, there are some issues surrounding the entire current WinBuilder server and file managment apparatus (versioning mismatches, categorization coarseness, etc.) that are at least as problematic as any of its build processing internals.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:39:20 AM by Arvy »
Regards, Richard

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
I guess there is just no consistent way of automating the Gena script packages creation process based on their Download Level on the project server.
ehmmmm,
rarely we can miss, but rule is constant: Gena-Sweets Addon dl=2 and Gena Meal dl0+dl1 (dl=download level)
Besides you are right at a point,
It is easier to follow folders when creating Meal and Sweets Add On packages.  :thumbsup:

Story:
in the past we were scanning dl to create packages, with \Gena-Sweets\ life became easy to pack and organise, and packing become more folder based, (rarely things missed from eyes  :embarrassed:) which I believe would ease pack task on php side too.

Well, he's exactly right IMO.
FxScript always right  :lol:
But you miss a point, Our Main Goal is Building an optimized PE, not a "General" usage PE. Hence Files and registry required by applications should be provided by their scripts... Default options demonstrates optimized build....
Yep you are right, If one likes to create a PE for more General usage, better enable this option on builds. :thumbsup:

Yes, I was actually thinking of something like that as a "workload reducer" for Galapo and ChrisR.  But based on your response, I guess it just isn't possible
Himm, I was thinking opposite (possible, easy and helpful), but again my bad english caused unwanted result.

If there was one file per package (href="domain/.../packagename_current.zip") that always corresponded to the latest update for that package, it would avoid that problem.
and that was what I asked..... Having 2 great advantages that would be helpful to ChrisR and Galapo.

1)
end users mostly asks for all new files inside latest package, but due to nature of any development "latest package version" can not contain all.
for the ones who are familiar with active download from server, it is no problem, but for new users......
at this point, project owner or supporter needs a miracle, to point end user latest package without uploading.....
packing with php is the miracle  :lol:
hence Galapo and ChrisR can say new end user: go to blabla website, and click "pack and download" button to get latest latest project package.
(maybe generating a file footer to get things not mixed when 2 users hit button or...... you know better....)
2)
another obvious advantage is, Galapo and ChrisR can pack via php easly and rename the generated file with date etc., announcing new version ready  :thumbsup:

I hope you can.

Afterthought: What would everyone (especially the two subdomain "owners") think about my possibly creating a database for them that would contain all of the script filenames and the corresponding data for their versioning and packaging?  Would that be helpful, or just create more work to keep it updated?
just a little thing, currently following tools being used to create databases (for sourcecode /BlueLife)
http://www.mediafire.com/?q5sh3582cgh3b5n
this gives advantage to become portable (updating & uploading both files easy) ;) and gives a nice list with index.html
feel free to put your forks  :lol: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:42:54 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:55:33 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
and that was what I asked.....

That's it.  I give up for today.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Wow, website looks great! I really like the implementation.
:you_rock:

I think we should be able to implement a PHP ZIP mechanism to generate new ZIPs etc.

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Glad you like it.  But my real aim was (and is) to help reduce your overall maintenance workload (and ChrisR's) if possible so that it doesn't divert time away from developmental efforts.

There are probably several routes open to that end and PHP ZIP (with wget?) would certainly be one possibility if the package selection criteria can be sorted out.  (Parsing the updates.ini file ain't hard.)   But I'm wondering to what extent those prepacked downloads actually remain an essential part of the overall strategy and, if they do, what their optimal update frequency might be.  Or should we be aiming for "dynamic" download packaging direct from the project server triggered by the project updates themselves?

__
P.S.:  Do you want to keep both subdomains?  Or just gena.virtech.org?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:31:22 PM by Arvy »

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:44:57 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Package selection is as follows:

Gena Meal package
Projects\Gena
Projects\Tools
WinBuilder.exe
WinBuilder.ini

Gena Sweets Add-On package
Projects\Gena-Sweets

Gena Appetizer package
Projects\Gena\script.project
Projects\Gena\Basic
Projects\Gena\Finish\0 RegFactory\RegFactory.script
Projects\Gena\Finish\2 Create Image\CreateISO.script
Projects\Gena\Utils
Projects\Gena\VirtualTest
Projects\Tools
WinBuilder.exe
WinBuilder.ini

I'm thinking manual update frequency should be fine. That is, whenever Lancelot or I decide the packages should be updated, we enter the address of the PHP update file into a browser, enter the password, and then have the ZIP files generated directly on the server. Dynamic updating may get a bit taxing on server resources perhaps.

What do you think?

I think just keep gena.virtech at this stage.

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Okay,  I've dumped the galapo.virtech.org subdomain.

What I think personally is unimportant.  And please don't you be concerned about server resources.  Let me and my "buddies" at the Hostgator-Softlayer server farm worry about that.  (Formerly called "The Planet", it's one of North America's largest and, like most pipelines in Texas, the capacity of their multiple backbone connections is quite hefty.)  My questions are related strictly to discovering what YOU and ChrisR want and what makes the best sense in relation to the overall project strategy in either case.  (Chris, let's have your input too please.)  In the end, you guys, and not I, are going to end up managing it all whatever it is.

I suppose, to some extent, I was also thinking about end user impacts of various download versions from various sources during the intervals between package updates, but if manual updating is what you want, that's what I'll work on.  Or, if you have a particular PHP script already in mind for it, by all means go ahead and put it in place yourself on the gena.virtech.org subdomain.  Just let me know so I that don't end up wasting time duplicating your efforts there or elsewhere.

If you want me to work on it, a temporary FTP account for me and script testing access to the Gena project server would be handy.  Read only would be okay.  GNU Wget's FTP folders following behaviour may be preferable to its HTTP links recursion for this purpose.  Almost certainly better and faster than the PHP file_put_contents() function, but I won't know until I actually try it.  Could you set something up for me on gena.galapo.net?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:55:46 AM by Arvy »

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Sorry for the answer so late
Currently, I have a little difficulty to focus on win7Pe Se. thank you for the beautiful site  :great:.

I also think that a manual update is well and as proposed, with a web page or a button, suits me, if it is possible.
it allows to choose when to publish and make an announcement.
The date of publication is well for the support but as it is difficult or impossible, no problem for the unique name.

Win7PE_SE Package

Projects\Tools
Projects\Win7PE_SE
winbuilder.chm
WinBuilder.exe
WinBuilder.ini

the package like this would without M$ tools. Maybe well to provide the package without these tools, now, I'm not sure.
http://www.mediafire.com/?q82974jir46fli2 or .../SE/dev/Win7PESE_Dev_Adds/Win7PE_SE_Tools_Addon.7z

:cheers:

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Hi Chris.  Thanks very much for your comments.  I understand completely that you have other "real life" concerns to deal with.  No apologies necessary.  It's me and my retired status that put me out of step with the realities for most people.

It would seem, then, that we have a consensus (at least amongst ourselves) on what is wanted at this point.  So I'll do my best to come up with a workable solution with "push button updating" as its objective.  Or maybe Galapo already has something worked out that he can share with us both.

As for putting that additional Win7PE_SE_Tools_Addon.7z package on the win7pe.virtech.org subdomain, that's no problem at all.  In view of your current "distractions", I'll add it for you later today.  But please don't ever hesititate to add anything yourself at any time.  Try to think of that subdomain as your own, because IT IS as long as I'm around to maintain the primary virtech.org domain.

I think the dated filename issue may have got a little bit confused by some earlier responses.   It was NEVER my intention to eliminate archive (zip or 7-zip) files with names that indicate their compilation dates.  I was merely suggesting that, in addition, there be one download file per package, corresponding to the most recent compilation, so that its URL could be linked externally from anywhere with the assurance that anyone using that link would get the most recent version of that package.  In other words, it would eliminate at least one of the major issues involved in using the mediafire links that need to be changed every time you update your package. --  I'm still not sure if that's completely clear, but I hope so.
Regards, Richard

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
Thank you for the details, I did not clearly understood the dated filename URLs before.

Before, without http://win7pe.winbuilder.net/SE/  server the date name was practical for support, but now with the server, it is not a real utility and the unique name is well.
It is good and enough if we can display the date of publication on 'Win7PE SE Package Downloads' page, as currently. I would do announcements update accordingly.

Thank you for taking care of us  :wink:

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 01:31:06 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Okay, that Win7PE SE addon 7-zip package has been added at http://win7pe.virtech.org/archives/ and in the site navigation menu.  I described it as "Addon WinPE tools for supporting x86 and x64 PE builds", but that can easily be changed to anything you want.*  I tested GNU wget on this server-to-server copy transfer (directly from win7pe.winbuilder.net to win7pe.virtech.org) and it works beautifully.  Very easy and VERY FAST!

I'm starting to think that the easiest and quickest answer to our "push button updates" wishes might be to compile the each of the packages as desired on its own project server and THEN do a simple wget copy/transfer of that zipped (or 7-zipped) compilation to its virtech.org subdomain.  But can you run a PHP (or other) package compilation script on your WinBuilder project server?  I'm sure Galapo can on his own, but can you, Chris?  If not, would a project server relocation be out of the question?

__
* This item and MSFN forum removed from menu as discussed via PM.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:35:42 PM by Arvy »
Regards, Richard

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
I can not run or I don't know how to run a PHP package compilation script on the WinBuilder project server. Maybe, to do in the opposite way from http://win7pe.virtech.org/ with a PHP Zip wget script (user password).
Actually with the Dropbox, I have allways the image of the server win7Pe at home. with him, I have a batch script to create easily my 7z package, I must add the wget command to transfer the current Win7PE_SE.7z file to http://win7pe.virtech.org/archives/ and maybe start a php script.
Otherwise, I do not know PHP development and how to put the publication date as information on the download page, if possible.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:45:14 PM by ChrisR »

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Richard,

Here's the script I was playing around on my server with to generate a 'Meal' package (I haven't put a password on this yet):

<?PHP
function parse_ini ( $filepath ) {
    $ini = file( $filepath );
    if ( count( $ini ) == 0 ) { return array(); }
    $sections = array();
    $values = array();
    $globals = array();
    $i = 0;
    foreach( $ini as $line ){
        $line = trim( $line );
        // Comments
        if ( $line == '' || $line{0} == ';' ) { continue; }
        // Sections
        if ( $line{0} == '[' ) {
            $sections[] = substr( $line, 1, -1 );
            $i++;
            continue;
        }
        // Key-value pair
        list( $key, $value ) = explode( '=', $line, 2 );
        $key = trim( $key );
        $value = trim( $value );
        if ( $i == 0 ) {
            // Array values
            if ( substr( $line, -1, 2 ) == '[]' ) {
                $globals[ $key ][] = $value;
            } else {
                $globals[ $key ] = $value;
            }
        } else {
            // Array values
            if ( substr( $line, -1, 2 ) == '[]' ) {
                $values[ $i - 1 ][ $key ][] = $value;
            } else {
                $values[ $i - 1 ][ $key ] = $value;
            }
        }
    }
    for( $j=0; $j<$i; $j++ ) {
        $result[ $sections[ $j ] ] = $values[ $j ];
    }
    return $result + $globals;
}

$filename1 = './Compressed/Gena_Meal.zip';
$filename2 = './Compressed/Gena_Meal_md5.txt';
$changelog = './Projects/Gena/Utils/Gena_changelog.script';

if (file_exists($filename1)) {
echo "File 'Compressed/Gena_Meal.zip' already exists and must be deleted or renamed in order to generate a project ZIP file";
} elseif(file_exists($filename2)) {
echo "File 'Compressed/Gena_Meal_md5.txt' already exists and must be deleted or renamed first in order to generate a project ZIP file";
} else {
?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Gena project compression script</title>
</head>
<body>
<pre>Compression list:</pre>
<pre>
<?

echo htmlentities(shell_exec("zip -r Compressed/Gena_Meal.zip Projects WinBuilder.exe WinBuilder.ini -x Projects/Gena-Sweets/\* -x Projects/index.html -x Projects/updates.ini -x Projects/index.php -x Projects/Gena_plain_small.gif -x Projects/Gena_index.html"));
$changelog_array = parse_ini($changelog);
date_default_timezone_set('Australia/Queensland');
//$pre = "Date: " . date("Y-m-d, g:ia (e)") . "\rGena Changelog Version: " . $changelog_array["Main"]["Version"] . "\r";
$pre = "Date: " . date("r") . "\rGena Version: " . $changelog_array["Main"]["Version"] . "\r";
$content = $pre . "MD5 of Gena_Meal.zip: " . md5_file($filename1);
$strlength = strlen($content);
$create = fopen($filename2, "w");
$write = fwrite($create, $content, $strlength);
$close = fclose($create);

?>
</pre>
<pre>Compressing project complete!</pre>
</body>
</html>

<?
if (!file_exists($filename1)) {
echo "Compressed/Gena_Meal.zip was not generated";
}
if (!file_exists($filename2)) {
echo "Compressed/Gena_Meal_md5.txt was not generated";
}
}
?>

A couple of questions:

1) Do we use gena.virtech as a mirror of the files hosted at gena.galapo (alternative address in the WB Download Centre) which which we generate the ZIP packages?
2) Or do we leave the files hosted only at gena.galapo and generate the ZIP packages there from which we transfer to gena.virtech?

What would be best?

I'll PM you FTP account details.

Thanks,
Galapo.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
I can not run or I don't know how to run a PHP package compilation script on the WinBuilder project server. Maybe, to do in the opposite way from http://win7pe.virtech.org/ with a PHP Zip wget script (user password).
Actually with the Dropbox, I have allways the image of the server win7Pe at home. with him, I have a batch script to create easily my 7z package, I must add the wget command to transfer the current Win7PE_SE.7z file to http://win7pe.virtech.org/archives/ and maybe start a php script.
Otherwise, I do not know PHP development and how to put the publication date as information on the download page, if possible.

You don't need any PHP knowledge at all, Chris.  Running a PHP (or other) script that is installed on any server is just a button click, IF the server itself is properly configured for it and its administration will allow it.  In Galapo's case  (as in my own) he controls his own domain server and so (presuamably) can make it do whatever he wants it to do.  I'm just not sure about the Winbuilder server that hosts your WinPE SE project files and whether its administrators (Nuno and/or pscEx, I guess) permit running PHP or other private scripts there or not.  I guess you're not sure about that either.  My best recollection, unless things have change, is that it should be possible.  In fact, it sounds like you're at least halfway there already.

A couple of questions:

1) Do we use gena.virtech as a mirror of the files hosted at gena.galapo (alternative address in the WB Download Centre) which which we generate the ZIP packages?
2) Or do we leave the files hosted only at gena.galapo and generate the ZIP packages there from which we transfer to gena.virtech?

What would be best?

Either way would work.  But I tend to think that having two project scripts server locations might be an invitation to confusion in the long run.  Which one would be the "authoritative" source?   I  certainly have no objection, if you think it would make things easier and/or more secure.  I'm just not sure that would actually be the result.  I guess it's one of those judgement call things.  And, like it or not, you're the judge who has to make the decision.  I have no problem at all with whatever way you decide is best.  I only know that mediafire isn't a very convenient solution IMO.  For that matter, I'd even consider "donating" a host server that you and Chris could "rule" and use jointly as an EVERYTHING source and just forget about transfers completely.

In any case, my limited experimentation so far suggests that, if the package compilation was done initially on whichever project server(s) the original source scripts themselves are located on and then copied to whichever package download server location(s), it would simplify the process considerably, I think.  On the other hand, I'm probably just being lazy as usual.  That script you're working on looks good to me.  I'll give it a try.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:36:58 PM by Arvy »

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 05:11:01 AM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
In any case, my limited experimentation so far suggests that, if the package compilation was done initially on whichever project server(s) the original source scripts themselves are located on and then copied to whichever package download server location(s), it would simplify the process considerably, I think.

Yep, that's fine with me.

I hope I can find a bit of time next week. :undecided:

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 06:00:55 AM »

Arvy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Great.  I'm actively working on "automation" scripts for download packaging and placement, but it will take me a few days to get it all working efficiently and in the simple-to-use way that I'm sure we would want it to.  I'll keep you informed.

What would you both think of my setting up a complete new domain on its own server for you where EVERYTHING could be consolidated in one shared location?  It doesn't have to be an "either/or" proposition, but existing project domains and related resources could then easily be redirected there, if and as desired, now or later, to ensure continuity.  That way you both could manage the entire server and all of its resources (including subdomains) yourselves via direct "cPanel" access, jointly with myself if wanted.  With Australia, Canada and France all "on watch", we should have pretty good round-the-clock coverage.  :smile:

It's just a thought, but consolidation might make things easier, both for you as project managers to manage, and for users to find what they're looking for all in one place.  Under the current "scattered" situation people are lucky to find all the various projects, forums, and other related resouces each located under a different domain.  The pebuilder.net and pebuilder.org domains (amongst other possibilities) are currently available and I'd be willing to underwrite the total cost for both domain registration and server hosting (either in my own name or "corporately") at least while I'm still around to do so.  My only stipulation is that it would have to be and remain a strictly non-profit, non-commercial, ad-free undertaking by all of the parties involved.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:43:09 AM by Arvy »

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Wow, that's very generous!

Naming is always an issue -- it took a long time coming up with "Gena" and "theoven.org".

I'd really like Lancelot's input and opinion on this, whether we go with another domain where Gena and Win7PE SE are consolidated and so forth, or simply use the consolidation already appearing on virtech.org.

Have to have some sleep now... :fell_asleep:

Regards,
Galapo.