Topic: Win10PE SE - Wireless connections possibly not being displayed  (Read 1621 times)

Win10PE SE - Wireless connections possibly not being displayed
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »

Zimmy

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Hello,

First, I would like to thank the person or persons maintaining the Win10PE SE project.

I am experiencing a problem with wireless connections not being displayed.  After running PENetwork, the network icon says that connections are available so clearly my adapter is being detected.  However, the list of available connections is not being displayed.  It is worth noting that I am visually impaired and use Win10PE SE with the NVDA screen reader.  Normally in a standard Windows installation, you can just left click or press Enter on the network icon and the list of available connections is displayed.  So my question, is this a bug or are wireless connections displayed in some other manner in Win10PE SE that is either not accessible or only obvious if you can see the screen?

Thanks and regards.

Re: Win10PE SE - Wireless connections possibly not being displayed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:41:47 AM »

KYHI

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
once you open PENetwork - use the drop-down list to select adapter and then use the tabs (if needed)

ila_rendered
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:42:25 AM by KYHI »

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:19 AM »

Zimmy

• Jr. Chef
Well as I said, the problem is not with detecting the adapter since after running PENetwork, the icon shows that connections are available.  It is the list of available connections which I cannot view/access.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:26:51 AM »

KYHI

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
the list is not displayed via the network icon..
the list is displayed via PENetwork dropdown list (top adapter selection drop-down box)

Win8.1SE works properly via the network Icon... Not Win10PESE
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:31:26 AM by KYHI »

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:35:30 AM »

Zimmy

• Jr. Chef
I see, that is what I was trying to determine.  I figured it might be something like that.  Thanks for the information.  Although now I will have to see if the dialog is accessible enough with the NVDA screen reader to choose a connection.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:59:00 AM »

Gerhard S.

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Hello,
if one configures 'PENetwork.ini' and minimum 1 network profile 'yournetwork.xml' - and stores both files in "correct" places for Winbuilder - you get a PESE, which boots to Desktop with already established network-connection. Then you must not click anything in/on PEnetworkmanager; just start your browser and begin surfing.
Picture 1: For your wireless adapter you must choose eventually tab 'WiFi'
ila_rendered

Picture 2: wireless service is startet
 ila_rendered

Picture 3: See my prefered wireless connection (autostarted) - and editable preferences. Middle sub-tab in 'WiFi'
 ila_rendered

Edit #1:
We are suggested to use 'Add WLAN profiles' option in PeNetwork plugin; so the shown following 2 folders do not care about. Only for info.
.\Workbench\Common\PENetwork\Win10PESE\ini\PENetwork.ini
.\Workbench\Common\PENetwork\Win10PESE\xml\yournetwork.xml

Unfortunately, only the part "Add Wlan" has worked for me. I gave up for section "Edit/Create" networkmanager profile. Because I have had to build every time new ISO - if I want to see, whether new settings (of dozens possibles) takes effect - and if, in desired way. Maybe I am wrong at this point - for me, a "semi-prof" (learning by doing) Wlan-user, it was is too complicated. Example: Which is mine? TKIP or AES ?
-> so I worked WYSIWYG with PeNetwork in running 10PE.

Edit #2:
Plugin PeNetworkmanager has everything onboard; I will tryout to configure my WiFi again, exclusively using plugin...
ila_rendered   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:08:18 PM by Gerhard S. »

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 02:07:48 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
and stores both files in "correct" places for Winbuilder
There is nothing to do with winbuilder !
There is no "place" for penetwork.ini with winbuilder !

PeNetwork plugin have "Add WLAN profiles" option, which you may be writing about.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 03:13:11 AM »

Zimmy

• Jr. Chef
So I have come to the conclusion that either the section in PENetwork where wireless connections are displayed is not screen reader accessible or perhaps my adapter is not being detected.  I suspect it is the former since as I said it shows that connections are available in the tray icon after running PENetwork.  Any thoughts?  Unfortunately, configuring a single profile is not a convenient option since that would not resolve the issue when using the PE on other machines.  If all else fails, I suppose I could try Win8.1PE SE.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Hi Zimmy,

See Edit #2 at the end of Gerhard S. at Reply 5 above.

I feel:
Since there is network available, for wi fi case you have to put password , either following PENetwork or ms network.

Pointed by KYHI, you can use ms network to put password using Win8.1SE.

You need to provide a set of screenshots to get KYHI and Gerhard S. understand what you are doing.......

@Gerhard S.
at Edit #1,
I feel
.\Workbench\Common\PENetwork\Win10PESE\ini\PENetwork.ini
.\Workbench\Common\PENetwork\Win10PESE\xml\yournetwork.xml
is better for your next edit, to fit all Win10PESE users.

:turtle:

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »

Gerhard S.

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I tested plugin again. Export of actual 4 WiFi connections (stored in Windows) - OK.
But then: I found no "regular" way, to insert the Wlan's into (DHCP) Network profile:Dynamic IP address
Any suggestions there?

I opend then(hit the xml-folder-knob  :embarrassed: ) the Wlan's with Texteditor and took out data, passphrase... and so on, and copied&pasted it in still opend PeNetworkmanager Wlan GUI; hit for each entry(manually created, name=identical with the one, shown in PeNetwork WiFi Exporter) 'Auto connect', 'Connect nonbroadcasting' and 'Save'.
Builded new ISO - all then OK.

This message was sent from an Android Mobile. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:06:17 PM by Gerhard S. »