Topic: Issues with Download and BuildGenastarter  (Read 2994 times)

Issues with Download and BuildGenastarter
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »

0scar

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Since some days when in Download I get  the message "You need to have http://updates.boot-land.net reachable to download files" but updates are downloaded anyway (old Winbuilder and new BuildGena).

Also first time running BuildGenastarter.exe creates WinBuilder077RC2.exe and WinBuilder077RC2.ini

:smile:

Re: Issues with Download and BuildGenastarter
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:24:09 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Since some days when in Download I get  the message "You need to have http://updates.boot-land.net reachable to download files" but updates are downloaded anyway (old Winbuilder and new BuildGena).

I remember this, it was caused by (as usual) bad designed hardcoded web path inside .exe  :wink:

As you wrote it works any way  :wink:

Still I strictly advice to use "Utils\Update xxx (Exact and Secure)"

Also first time running BuildGenastarter.exe creates WinBuilder077RC2.exe and WinBuilder077RC2.ini
Thanks,

I inform Galapo to fix this  :thumbsup:

@Galapo

BuildGena.exe
BuildGena.ini
http://gena.cwcodes.net/BuildGena.zip
 :wink:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:30:17 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Good catch - thanks for reporting! :thumbsup:

I'll fix this in the next day or so.

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 11:34:29 PM »

gbrao

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I downloaded Gena_Meal_2016-02-07.zip.

I'll be using Gena after long time. Please clarify the correct procedure/sequence of steps with a new Gena build. I'm a bit confused. Should I begin by running BuildGena Starter.exe ? BuildGena.exe ?
A small readme.txt in the Gena root directory would be very useful.

Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:46:40 PM »

Galapo

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
You run BuildGena Starter.exe which then starts BuildGena.exe. BuildGena.exe is just the WB executable renamed. A readme.txt is a good idea. :thumbsup:

We need to start it with BuildGena Starter.exe because there is a certain bug with the WB executable where even though it is started with admin it doesn't inherit all the admin permissions (one of the effects of this is that executables started with WB are started not with proper admin permissions, which causes starting a virtual machine under some conditions to fail).

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »

gbrao

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
OK, thanks. Made a Gena XP PE after a long time. Much better than I remember it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 01:56:46 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Much better than I remember it.  :thumbsup:
:great:

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 02:39:50 AM »

0scar

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Something more...
This two files are created, I do not know exactly when or why

C:\WBGena_Meal_2016-02-07\log_20160502_131508.html
C:\WBGena_Meal_2016-02-07\WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe

Fragment of  log_20160502_131508.html
Code: [Select]
Run - Processed section [_CenterCa] in file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\Gena\Basic\Build\Macro_Library.script]

[Info] PrepPE: Workaround
  [Success] IF - [True] is equal to: [True] evaluated string: [If,%wbBugWA_CheckBox%,Equal,True,Run,"%ProjectDir%\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script",WinBuilder_BugWorkaround_Extract,"%ProjectDir%\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script"]

Run - Processing section: [WinBuilder_BugWorkaround_Extract] From file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\Gena\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script]
        [Parameter] with parameters: [%BaseDir%\Projects\Gena\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script]
        [Info] [//This section used ALSO by 1 PrepPE.script - Run,"%ProjectDir%\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script",WinBuilder_BugWorkaround_Extract,"%ProjectDir%\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script"]
        [Success] SetVar - Sucessfuly changed the value of [%WBBugWorkaroundWorkFile%] to: [%BaseDir%\Projects\Gena\Basic\1 PrepPE.script]
        [Success] IF - [%BaseDir%\Projects\Gena\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script-] is not equal to: [-] evaluated string: [If,Not,#1-,Equal,-,Set,%WBBugWorkaroundWorkFile%,#1]
        [Success] SetVar - Sucessfuly changed the value of [%WBBugWorkaroundWorkFile%] to: [%BaseDir%\Projects\Gena\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script]
        [Success] SetVar - Sucessfuly changed the value of [%WBBugWorkaroundVer%] to: [1.7.0.0]
        [Ignore] IF - File does not exist: [%BaseDir%\WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe] evaluated string: [If,ExistFile,%BaseDir%\WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe,Begin]
              [Skipped] [Retrieve,FileVersion,%BaseDir%\WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe,%WBBugWorkaroundBaseVer%]
              [Skipped] [If,%WBBugWorkaroundBaseVer%,Smaller,%WBBugWorkaroundVer%,Run,%WBBugWorkaroundWorkFile%,WinBuilder_BugWorkaround_Version]
        [Ignore] [End]
        [Success] ELSE - executing command: [ExtractFile,%WBBugWorkaroundWorkFile%,Folder,WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe,%BaseDir%]
        [Success] ExtractFile - [WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe] to: [H:\WBGena_Meal_2016-02-07]
 Run - Processed section [WinBuilder_BugWorkaround_Extract] in file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\Gena\Utils\Workaround_Bugs.script]

[Success] IF - [True] is equal to: [True] evaluated string: [If,%wbBugWA_CheckBox%,Equal,True,If,ExistFile,%BaseDir%\WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe,ShellExecuteEx,Open,WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe,,%BaseDir%]
  [Success] IF - File exists: [%BaseDir%\WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe] evaluated string: [If,ExistFile,%BaseDir%\WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe,ShellExecuteEx,Open,WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe,,%BaseDir%]
  [Success] ShellExecuteEx: [Open] using: [WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe] with parameters: []

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:59:45 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Something more...
This two files are created, I do not know exactly when or why
nothing new:
1) log_...html is default settings for all projects (SE + Gena), autosave log file.....

2) WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe exists since first Gena I guess, default on Gena, optional on SE,
most popular workaround: Out of system resources popup message
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1502.0
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1132.0
Info also given at FAQ
Q: How to overcome Out of system resources popup message ?
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=834.0

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »

0scar

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Thanks Lancelot.
I have read your links but still I do not know if it is normal the autocreation of WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe and a .log file when it does not exist in the root folder next to BuildGenastarter.exe and BuildGena.exe, especially now when its name probably should  be  WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Thanks Lancelot.
I have read your links but still I do not know if it is normal the autocreation of WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe and a .log file
about .log file:
also a new folder \Logs\ created, and log...html files moved to there on each build,
Auto creation of log files is normal behavior for all projects (Gena + SE) for years.
Reminding: There is also Auto creation of log package (log...7z) when build fails, which is normal behavior for all projects (Gena + SE) for years.

especially now when its name probably should  be  WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe
well bugs are specific to WinBuilder all versions , so I feel file name is ok (also at bottom on explorer)  :wink:

More words:
test this:
use
BuildGena.exe
to start to build,
during build you will notice WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe icon at right bottom
after build, when you close BuildGena.exe, WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe will also close itself (no icon at right bottom)

It is fine to use WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe that way for normal user,
 but it is also required for more frequent users, who work on plugins, and need WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe do its work.
 That is the reason I put it on root folder, to be easily found by others *, just double click and it is working.
  *: It is not easy for conventional new users, to find WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe via \Utils\ , conventional users always look around .exe to double click, root folder is the place to find it.

Other Words:

Today, When you use all projects on same folder (ex: D:\Oven) (all projects designed that way)
you will get

BuilderSE.exe
BuilderSE.ini
BuildGena Starter.exe
BuildGena.exe
BuildGena.ini
log...html
WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe

you may notice file names given to get most used to top  :great: (intentionally by me) and it is currently most tidy we can get.

ps:
I work on tidy up root folder with single BuilderSE.exe on last summer  :wink:
and in very past log...html + log...7z fill root folder a lot, I designed a move files routine for logs to \Log\ to tidy up  :thumbsup:

ps2:
Here is a special information for you Oscar  :cool:
Also Test this:
you can also start Gena build with BuilderSE.exe
Just click Gena\Basic and click Big Blue - Build

If I could develop builder,
there would be only one exe for builder on root folder ex: Builder.exe
.ini file would be under \Projects\
log..html files would be under \Logs\
WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe would not required.

It would be a very clean root folder  :cool:

Final words:

But with current conditions, This is what we can do to simplify root folder.
 Root folder is still quite tidy, compared to BartPE - pebuilder  :wink:

:turtle:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:06:42 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:04:43 AM »

0scar

• Code Baker
  • Chef

BuildGena.exe
to start to build,
during build you will notice WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe icon at right bottom
after build, when you close BuildGena.exe, WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe will also close itself (no icon at right bottom)

It is fine to use WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe that way for normal user,
 but it is also required for more frequent users, who work on plugins, and need WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe do its work.
 That is the reason I put it on root folder, to be easily found by others *, just double click and it is working.
  *: It is not easy for conventional new users, to find WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe via \Utils\ , conventional users always look around .exe to double click, root folder is the place to find it.

Well, at last it is more clear to me, WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe always auto starts when building, but it may be manual started when debugging a single plugin.
Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 11:27:20 PM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Well, at last it is more clear to me, WinBuilder_BugWorkaround.exe always auto starts when building, but it may be manual started when debugging a single plugin.
Thanks.

Still, you may find other info above useful, I advice to re check  :great:

and reminding: better put all projects to single folder ( ex: D:\Oven ) ,
 this will greatly ease using same plugins on all projects and overall maintance and updates.  :wink:

:turtle: