Topic: Some registry keys not written  (Read 912 times)

Some registry keys not written
« on: July 10, 2016, 05:01:09 AM »

thefuse

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
HI, 
    Many thanks for a wonderfull project,i spend many hours building due to your work...great efforts here!...  :thumbsup:
Im not sure if it is a bug,or a winbuilder issue or just this project....I have a Privatefirewall script that seemingly randomly refuses to write registry keys for just this script...other scripts write keys correctly before   Privatefirewall script runs...then errors out with"failed to set data for "xxxxx" key(unknown error)...THEN sometimes the script will write the keys and continue on as normal..it has occoured while using the builder in PE and on windows10 x64 host...this seems to be random....all other scripts work fine on builds whether PFW does or not.i even tried moving the reg entries to its own script called "mystery script"   please see log attached.....when it works it works great...any ideas anyone?   the fuse... in oz

Re: Some registry keys not written
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »

ChrisR

• Moderator, Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Code: [Select]
RegHiveLoad,Tmp_Default,%RegDefault%
RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,"Tmp_Default\Software\PWI, Inc.\Privatefirewall 7.0\GUI",Left,370
RegHiveUnLoad,Tmp_Default
No worries here  :confused:

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »

Galapo

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Possibly it might be the comma causing an issue. Try with an escape character:

RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,"Tmp_Default\Software\PWI#$c Inc.\Privatefirewall 7.0\GUI",Left,370

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 05:10:24 AM »

thefuse

• Apprentice
Hi Glapo,many thanks for your work here,great stuff!
             Yes i thought the comma may be the" smoking gun" too....but the script does not fail EVERY time.40% sucess rate.60% fail.i have used the escape command as well....same random fails...I have found that if the script fails to write the keys when the builder is run on Win10 host? I can boot up my last good build PE and use the builder in PE  and it will succeed a few times...the the script will fail again...i switch back to my host Win10 and it will run then randomly fail....very weird behaviour..and it is ONLY this script...all other scripts before and after run fine...and the position of the script(eairlier or later in the build)makes no difference.....My only guess is maybe a permissions issue?....im not sure at all..
The random fail i cannot understand....I have built PE for years now and never seen this before...curious issue and was wondering if someone has seen same behaviour...once again thank you for your input and reply,.....the fuse in oz

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 06:16:05 PM »

Galapo

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Thanks for the further explanation. It's a bit of a mystery to me.  :confused:

Regards,
Galapo.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:58:22 PM »

thefuse

• Apprentice
Hi Galapo,
                Yes im scratching my head also at the apparent randomness of the fails...A workaround that does work is running the builder in PE each time it fails on my win10 host,,,then switch back again when it fails there too..seems to run a few times ok then i switch on next  failure...a little annoying but it gets the job done.thank you for your reply...if i discover the cause ill let you know(possible bug)
                                                                                                                                        thanks again....thefuse in oz

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 01:21:34 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi thefuse,

I believe on one of your plugins, you forget loading or unloading hives,

so on one of next plugin failure happens.

to debug where failure happens, you can put
Message,Check,Information

at the begining or end of some of your plugins, this will stop build,
 and check registry with Regedit to see if there are loaded hives.

After a series of this elimination method trials, I believe you will find your personal plugin where failure  :wink:

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:45:39 AM »

thefuse

• Apprentice
Thank you Lancelot!!!,
                                    I found the offending script,I wasnt aware of this command to stop and check registry at certain points.This is VERY handy..issue solved.Script before was causing the issue..Smooth building now.:-)..Thank you so much
                                                                                                                                            the fuse in oz