Topic: Uefi and legacy boot in 1 drive.  (Read 802 times)

Uefi and legacy boot in 1 drive.
« on: November 30, 2016, 03:23:05 AM »

kendrick

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I need to make a flash drive that can boot to uefi only systems and legacy systems as needed.  we have some systems that are only allowed to be uefi and older systems that are still using legacy boot.  I am hoping some one might have a suggestion on how this can be accomplished so I don't have to make 2 separate drives.

the wrinkle that doesn't allow for clover chaining is the fact that uefi systems must have their legacy bios turned off and must be set to secure boot.

Re: Uefi and legacy boot in 1 drive.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 05:32:09 AM »

anshad

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Hi

You don't need Clover or any other third party boot-loader unless you wanted to create a multiboot USB stick which has multiple operating systems - including non Windows. A Win10PE x64 or Win8.xPE x64 itself is capable of booting in either leagcy or UEFI mode. Just create a bootable USB stick with DISKPART and make sure the file system type is FAT32. Then simply copy the contents of the ISO to the USB and it will boot in either legacy or UEFI systems. I assume that you don't need 32 bit UEFI support. As far as i know, almost all of the desktops and laptops have x64 UEFI. Only some few tablets have x86 UEFI so you will only need a Win10/Win8 64 bit based PE disc as long as you don't need to support Tablet PC.

Refer option three of  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html

SE builder also has plugins available to create bootable USB under "writemedia" section.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »

kendrick

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
ya I need multiboot for right now.   we are transitioning between systems and need the old version of bart for repairing older systems imaged with the old software.

the new windows 10 system have a different style of configuration.  once we get rid of all the non win10 systems I wont need dual boot any more.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:16:49 AM »

KYHI

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Try this Utility. Copy the proper arch boot.wim into the proper multi-arch folder and create a new ISO

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/251-modify-winpese/