Topic: Bug: (Sometimes) black square in lower left corner of desktop icons  (Read 742 times)

pstein

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
I created successfuly Win10PE with

Main Configuration---Screen Resolution=1920x1080
and
Shell--Explorer Shell---Use small Icons on Desktop=OFF (disabled)
                                  Remove arrows from Shortcut=ON (enabled)

When I start it (from USB flash drive) on a certain computer (with native screen resolution of 1920x1080) then all the icon symbols on Desktop have a black square in their lower left corner.

See attached snapshot.

Why?

On other computers everything works fine (with the same USB flash drive).

Furthermore if there would be a driver issue then nothing would work. But I can do everything "as usual".
It seems to be just a display problem.

I guess the "Remove Arrows from Shortcuts" option does not work properly.
Is there a solution for that?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:14:27 AM by pstein »

Re: Bug: (Sometimes) black square in lower left corner of desktop icons
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:01:01 AM »

JFX

• Moderator, Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
It's a known problem and not limited to WinPE only.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:57:18 AM »

Tony4219

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I thought it was just me!.  I fixed it for my purposes in WPEX:

Using usbstick  with Win10PESEx64 and HDMI port with HDTV, I always got the 'black boxes'. Apparently it is a problem for some people in real Windows also. Using VGA port, there was no problem.

I found info on internet about changing the icon used for "transparency". I think the original icon in the DLL did not have all the various resolutions; if the one it wants is missing, it uses the black box.  It is not an issue with "remove shortcut arrows", it is the icon used by that function.

I  added  some code to 1-ExplorerShell v43. Approx line 680 added code to use transparent.ico instead of icon -51. This also required creating  an Attachments folder named Folder (so I didn't alter the original plugin much) and putting transparent.ico in it. This modified the code that only runs when the  "remove shortcut arrows" checkbox is marked.

I realize that there is a later version now posted on TheOven. This, however, worked for me using the October 2016 distro with Exact & Secure update a few days before the Dec 2016 distro came out.

Rename the attachment below from 1-Explorer.Script to 1-ExplorerV43mod.Script so you don't overwrite.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:16:53 AM by Tony4219 »

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Hi Tony4219 ,

I added your transparent.ico workaround to explorer plugin on server. (now v46)  :great:

Tip:
You can create new empty plugin by using
Utils\PC Packed (Plugin Creator Packed) --> small "e" button at bottom right of plugin

This would help you to add such things to projects,
 and share without any confusion . ex: modified old version - new version on server.

:turtle:

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »

Tony4219

• Chef
Thanks, Lancelot.

I didn't want to do a new plugin add-on this time, just slightly modify the current one so I wouldn't have to flush the icon cache. But no one else here seemed to have the problem of "black boxes" in WPEX desktop shortcuts. I didn't have them either, until I tried HDMI port connection with HDTV, and then I could only make them go away if I used VGA connections (which not all HDTVs have).  Wasted a lot of time trying video drivers. :mad:

The problem exists, for some, in real Windows too (see http://superuser.com/questions/1118434/how-to-prevent-black-boxes-on-desktop-icons-in-windows-after-removing-shortcut-a
and  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-shortcut-icon-arrow-overlay-in-windows-vista/
            )

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
You seem to be stubborn like me  :great:

Well I like "shortcut" arrows along with "symbolic link" arrows so I do not disable this personally.

If your theory missing resolution blackbox is right,
 than providing an ico with all resolution should fix problem better.

maybe ex:
https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/4261/link_shortcut_icon#size=48

If you are interested on such test, since you can reproduce, let us know results.

:turtle:

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »

Tony4219

• Chef
I looked at transparent.ico and also internal icons in shell32.dll (from Win10 1607) with IcoFxPortable again.

transparent.ico has 5 icons: 256x256-32, 48x48-32, 32x32-32, 24x24-32, 16x16-32.

shell32.dll apparently has 4 transparent icons at approx. #51.        #310 and #311 are not transparent icons.
icon 50 has only 1 icon, 16x16-4
icon 51 has only 1 icon, 16x16-4
icon 52 has only 1 icon, 16x16-4
icon 53 has only 1 icon, 16x16-4

So, yes, it's a guess on my part that, running at 1920x768 HDTV, the icon Win10PESEx64 is trying to use ... is missing if it only tries numbers 50 thru 53.

I went to iconfinder. Didn't see test. ?  Nice icons!

By the way, the OTHER problem I have seen with HDMI with HDTV, is no way to correct/adjust  overscan! in Windows standard driver.

When I had to reinstall real Win10 on Lenovo desktops, the Lenovo factory AMD video driver got lost. "Windows update" said the MSFT windows driver was the latest and best. I had to go to Lenovo to get official AMD onboard graphics driver (approx. 300MB) so I could adjust HDMI overscan in real Win10 to get the picture to fit on the screen.

I tried and failed to get that installer to run in WPEX/Win10PESEx64, and even if it ever worked, it would be inefficient to put that in a plugin.  Win some, lose some.