Topic: WimBoot+WimPack: is it possible to get Program Files.wim outside of BootDI.wim?  (Read 519 times)

ZYX

• Code Baker
  • Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
I am currently using WimBoot and WimPack with VMDK set outside of ISO because that combination gives me the fastest boot with the largest available RAM. However, one thing is balking me: that solution reserves three drive letters (by default B:, X: and Z:). If I don't choose VMDK container, I get occupied only two drive letters, but in that case the boot time is longer and the available RAM is lower. If I choose only WimBoot without WimPack, I get occupied only one drive letter, but the boot time is longest and the available RAM is smallest.

I have spent several days trying to accomplish some things with them, but without success. Here is my ideal configuration:
- I386 folder packed to BootDI.wim and Program Files folder packed to Program Files.wim, both .wim files inside ISO or directly placed on USB.
- After boot, I would like to get both I386 and Program Files folders on X: drive, or alternatively on two drives, B: and X:. I would like to avoid use of VMDK container and Z: drive.

It would be nice if "Place VMDK outside ISO" option of WimPack could work with its .wim files as well when VMDK container is disabled. I tried to add i386\*.wim into the [ExcludeFiles] section of WimBoot and turned on its System optimize option, but I didn't get anything better, i.e. the Program Files.wim is still inside of BootDI.wim.

I have EnvironmentPE set to RAM drive and ProgramFilesPE set to User Profile Drive, but I tried all other options as well (System Drive, Run From CD...), without luck.

I am not sure that understand how all these plugins and related tools work exactly, and if my requirement is possible at all, so I wish if someone could give me a help with that.

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Hi ZYX,

I am not sure what you are after.
Sadly I can use very limited time to feedback these days....

- I386 folder packed to BootDI.wim and Program Files folder packed to Program Files.wim, both .wim files inside ISO or directly placed on USB.
As far as I can remember, you can not mount Program Files.wim inside iso (cd) to another folder.
Not sure about removable USB (Usb flash disk)

I hardly remember VMDK container is there to workaround mount to folder
 and writable folder. ( some utilities (Program Files) requires writable environment)

- After boot, I would like to get both I386 and Program Files folders on X: drive, or alternatively on two drives, B: and X:. I would like to avoid use of VMDK container and Z: drive.

Let us know when you find a way to success.

Do not worry about drive letters.
There are optimized reasons for default settings.

When you get B: X: Z: , you have top optimized settings. We do not occupy drive letters just for fun.  :wink:
- To me , not necessary, but there should be even Y: to get boot device letter for wimpack+wimboot , just to remind Y: is special.

ps:
You can disable B: hence you lower your %Temp% and other Temp area and limit yourself with fbwf.

See FAQ:
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=834.0
How to build Gena without ramdisk ?

Good part is , such organization is complex and hard to organize with normal batch files or scripts (vbs, autoit) and harder to maintain,
 Instead as a new user you get all these done nicely  :wink:
    and decide to make more and more experiments to get things for your taste.  :great:

I guess only missing feature at WimBoot (and BootDI) is
 get Program Files out of .wim/.img inside .iso
 with other words
 "Do not pack program files"

Or there is already such feature but no tutorial about it.
 If you are interested let us know.

Well Personally I only use CreateISO alone :tongue:
 So far these are info as far as I can remember with limited time without tests...

:turtle:

ZYX

• Code Baker
  • Jr. Chef
As I said, I already tried to change EnvironmentPE and ProgramFilesPE settings without luck - the solution suggested in FAQ doesn't work with the existing version of WimPack when used with WimBoot, even after I commented out the lines in the [Verification-Gena] section that halt the execution in that case. However, I want to use both WimPack and WimBoot because they give me the fastest boot with the largest available RAM.

But never mind, I managed to implement my request after significant modifications and additions to WimPack.

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
the solution suggested in FAQ doesn't work with the existing version of WimPack
[Verification-Gena] section that halt the execution in that case.

Wimpack needs ramdrive to mount vmdk I guess , that should be the reason behind verification plugin halt.

tip:
You can disable verification at
Gena\PrepPE --> Verify Plugin dependencies

but than you are responsible from the result.  :wink:

But never mind, I managed to implement my request after significant modifications and additions to WimPack.

When you have free time, better to clean summarize what you did  :thumbsup:
 It maybe useful for someone else in future.  :cool:

:turtle:

ZYX

• Code Baker
  • Jr. Chef
I did some more extensive testings of different configurations. Here are two sets of results: the first one is with the minimum configuration (only Basic, just a few plugins from Components and Drivers and just 7-Zip, Total Commander with several plugins and WinMerge in Apps); the second one is full pack with many apps added from GS and Y, some even imported from LiveXP.

I did tests on three computers: the first one has i3 3.3GHz CPU with 8GB RAM, the second one is somewhat older laptop with Core2 Duo 2.4 GHz CPU and 4GB RAM and the third one is the oldest laptop with Pentium 4M 2.0 GHz CPU and 512MB RAM.

The EnvironmentPE was set to "RAM Drive", the RAMDrivePE was "Always create RAM Drive", ProgramFilesPE was "User Profile Drive" and BootsectorPE was bootsect.bin except for tests with BootDI and GZ compression where grub4dos and WinVBlock was used. All other plugins had default settings.

I had ISO files put on UFD for all tests because of simplicity and uniformity of tests, they are chainloaded with Syslinux and memdisk. The displayed values are the size of resulting files, the boot time, the available RAM and the number of occupied drive letters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- BootDI: 134 MB; 581.7 MB ISO files
a1) 36 sec, 522 MB; a2) not tested
b1) 37 sec, 2528 MB; b2) cannot boot
c1) low memory warning, without loaded Program Files; c2) not tested
2 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386 with packuser.exe; packuser.exe in BOOTDI.IMG in ISO

- BootDI_CAB: 62.1 MB; 341 MB ISO files
a1) 37 sec, 2936 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 30 sec, 2599 MB; b2) cannot boot
c1) 125 sec, 142 MB; c2) not tested
2 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386 with packuser.exe; packuser.exe in BOOTDI.IM_ in ISO

- BootDI_GZ: 68 MB; 368.5 MB ISO files
a1) 40 sec, 2930 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 34 sec, 2594 MB; b2) cannot boot
c1) 117 sec, 147 MB; c2) N/T
3 drv: B:\Programs, I:\386 with BOOTDI.IGZ, X:\I386 with packuser.exe; packuser.exe in BOOTDI.IGZ in ISO

- BootDI+WimPack: 141.8 MB; ISO file
a1) 40 sec, 2926 MB; a2) N/T
b1) 36 sec, 2590 MB; b2) N/T
c1) 205 sec, 144 MB; c2) N/T
2 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386 with Programs.wim; Programs.wim in BOOTDI.IMG in ISO

- BootDI_CAB+WimPack: 71.9 MB; 414.9 MB ISO files
a1) 37 sec, 2995 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 30 sec, 2661 MB; b2) cannot boot
c1) 130 sec, 205 MB; c2) N/T
2 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386 with Programs.wim; Programs.wim in BOOTDI.IMG in ISO

- BootDI+WimPack_VMDK: 172.5 MB; ISO file
a1) 44 sec, 2926 MB; a2) N/T
b1) 39 sec, 2591 MB; b2) N/T
c1) 239 sec, 145 MB; c2) N/T
3 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386, Z:\Programs.wim; BOOTDI.IMG and WIMs.vmdk in ISO

- BootDI_CAB+WimPack_VMDK: 101.7 MB; 448.5 MB ISO files
a1) 39 sec, 2997 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 33 sec, 2662 MB; b2) cannot boot
c1) 163 sec, 210 MB; c2) N/T
3 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386, Z:\Programs.wim; BOOTDI.IMG and WIMs.vmdk in ISO

- BootDI+WimPack_VMDK_Outside: 171.5 (= 110.5 + 61) MB; ISO + VMDK files
a1) 39 sec, 2986 MB; a2) N/T
b1) 33 sec, 2652 MB; b2) N/T
c1) 171 sec, 203 MB; c2) N/T
3 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386, Z:\Programs.wim; BOOTDI.IMG in ISO, WIMs.vmdk out

- BootDI_CAB+WimPack_VMDK_Outside: 100.7 (= 39.7 + 61) MB; 447.5 (= 105.5 + 342) MB ISO + VMDK files
a1) 34 sec, 3056 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 26 sec, 2725 MB; b2) cannot boot
c1) 92 sec, 254 MB; c2) N/T
3 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386, Z:\Programs.wim; BOOTDI.IMG in ISO, WIMs.vmdk out

- CreateISO: 110.5 MB; 539.1 MB ISO files (packuser.exe inside ISO)
BSOD

- CreateISO+WimPack: 120.2 MB; 614.1 MB ISO files (Programs.wim inside ISO)
BSOD

- CreateISO+WimPack_VMDK: 166.1 MB ISO file (WIMs.vmdk inside ISO)
BSOD

- CreateISO+WimPack_VMDK_Outside: 149.9 (= 88.9 + 61) MB ISO + VMDK files (WIMs.vmdk outside ISO)
BSOD

- WimBoot: 68.5 MB; 365.6 MB ISO files
a1) 37 sec, 2992 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 31 sec, 2657 MB; b2) 86 sec, 1471 MB
c1) 131 sec, 201 MB; c2) cannot boot
2 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386 with packuser.exe; packuser.exe in BootDI.wim in ISO

- WimBoot+WimPack: 77.7 MB; 441.4 MB ISO files
a1) 36 sec, 3052 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 31 sec, 2716 MB; b2) 76 sec, 1924 MB
c1) 135 sec, 263 MB; c2) cannot boot
2 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386 with Programs.wim; Programs.wim in BootDI.wim in ISO

- WimBoot+WimPack_VMDK: 107.4 MB; 470.3 MB ISO files
a1) 40 sec, 3053 MB; a2) cannot boot
b1) 34 sec, 2717 MB; b2) 78 sec, 2205 MB
c1) 169 sec, 269 MB; c2) cannot boot
3 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386, Z:\Programs.wim; BootDI.wim and WIMs.vmdk in ISO

- WimBoot+WimPack_VMDK_Outside: 107.4 (= 46.4 + 61); 470.2 (= 128.2 + 342) MB ISO + VMDK files
a1) 36 sec, 3113 MB; a2) 47 sec, 2887 MB
b1) 27 sec, 2778 MB; b2) 42 sec, 2546 MB
c1) 100 sec, 313 MB; c2) 208 sec, 102 MB
3 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386, Z:\Programs.wim; BootDI.wim in ISO, WIMs.vmdk out

- WimBoot+My_WimPack_Outside: 77.6 (= 46.4 + 31.2); 440.3 (= 128.2 + 312.1) MB ISO + WIM files
a1) 35 sec, 3113 MB; a2) 48 sec, 2887 MB
b1) 27 sec, 2778 MB; b2) 42 sec, 2547 MB
c1) 100 sec, 314 MB; c2) 208 sec, 103 MB
2 drv: B:\Programs, X:\I386; BootDI.wim in ISO, Programs.wim out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:
1. The difference between resulting values on the newer computers with the large RAM is not drastic. However, on the oldest computer with small RAM the difference between values from different finalization settings is very significant, it goes even more than 100% increase in boot time or available RAM (e.g. BootDI+WimPack_VMDK with 239 sec instead of BootDI_CAB+WimPack_VMDK_Outside with 92 sec).

2. CreateISO was total disaster, causing BSOD in every possible configuration.

3. BootDI was disaster with the full pack of drivers and programs on every computer.

4. The newest computer had some very strange and unexpected results. It was somewhat slower on almost all tests than the 5 year older laptop which is actually much slower in everyday use. I suspect that that is because the newer one has two internal HDDs with a lot of partitions and maybe some software (ExpEnvVar) was scanning them during boot.

The another strange behavior with the newer computer was the first test with BootDI where it boot up with only 522MB available RAM. I suppose it had some wrong detection of RAM using the old 640MB DOS limitation or something like that.

The third unexpected thing with the newer computer was the unsuccessful boot with all WinBoot settings with the full projects and internal Program Files, which was passed without problem with the older computer with less RAM.

5. WimBoot+WimPack_VMDK_Outside and WimBoot+My_WimPack_Outside was only tests that passed on all computers with both project settings (basic and full).

6. Almost all tests displayed an error message by ExpEnvVar after booting because of the MEDIA.DRIVE tag file (http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=544.msg23304#msg23304), except for the BootDI test with GZ compression. That GZ test was the only one which had displayed drive letter with Bootxx.xxx file (which is unneeded for me anyway, as you could see from the first post of this thread).

7. The time values displayed above was get with only the bootable UFD attached to the computer; the boot time was much larger when I had attached one external HDD as well (it took me some time to figure out that), again most probably because of the drive scanning.

8. The apps from Program Files started in all VMDK tests are loading from UFD, but not from RAM, both with "Place VMDK outside ISO" option turned on or off.

9. The last test WimBoot+My_WimPack_Outside was with my modification of WimPack. I am slightly disappointed with the result because I expected the faster boot and/or larger available RAM comparing to WimBoot+WimPack_VMDK_Outside, but I got almost identical results. However, I got one drive letter less occupied which was enough reward for me.

ZYX

• Code Baker
  • Jr. Chef
Update of the 6-th conclusion in the previous post: Galapo made update to the ShortcutCentro and now there is no error message related to the missing/incorrect MEDIA.DRIVE tag file during boot (http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=544.msg23340#msg23340). Thanks Galapo!

By the way, I preferred WinBoot, but I came to the conclusion that it definitely doesn't allow putting Program Files on the system drive, so I am now playing with the BootDI which allows that. Using BootDI and my modification of WimPack I have only one drive letter occupied by WinPE (X:). There is no more B: and Z:. The next step is to discover why my full configuration with all necessary drivers and needed programs cannot boot when made with BootDI.