Topic: Getwaiktools script question  (Read 217 times)

Getwaiktools script question
« on: May 03, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »

DemonDante

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Hello the Oven community.  I had a question in regards to the GetWaiktools script which downloads the necessary deployment tools which are normally included in the adk installation for use in the building and configuring of Windows 10 PESE.  More specifically, as you may or may not know, microsoft has released a new version of the Windows 10 adk for each new major update of windows 10 that has been released, including new versions of the tools included within.  So my question is how does the script know which version of the ADK tools to download and use when the script is run.  Does it scan the source media and use that to download the right version?  Does it not check at all and download only a specific version that is specifically specified in the script?  If the answer to this question is the latter of the two scenarios, then it would probably be a good idea to update the script so that it downloads the version of the ADK tools that match the version of Windows 10 that is being used as the source.  But this is a question to which I would like to get an answer to.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Getwaiktools script question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 02:39:41 AM »

JFX

• Moderator, Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
The project decides which ADK tools are used.
For the tools the minor version does not matter.
So you can use any of the 10.x versions for all Windows 10 sources. Nothing has really changed, except the version numbers.

It's a different story about WinPE feature packages that are in the ADK.
Here the version is important. But we don't use them.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »

DemonDante

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
So you are saying that you can use any version of the adk tools with any version of Windows 10?  I don't know if I agree with that.  I remember around the time that the Redstone version of Windows 10 came out, I had forgotten to upgrade my version of the adk to the version released for the redstone edition and had created a custom capture of the redstone edition using the adk from the previous version.  I remember this because I remember getting super frustrated because I couldn't figure out why a) my disk resources were almost always polling at 100%, so it was really slow, b) sfc and dism would always fail to complete successfully until dism was run using an install.wim pulled from install media as the source, and then running sfc would find and repair corruption, and c) there was a very bad latency issue when attempting to play any kind of media on the computer: movies, songs, even spotify would start making this "skipping" sound, like you hear when your media player crashed or when you play music from a scratched CD (are cds still even a thing at this point, lol jk).  It was only when I was just about to install the previous version of Windows 10 because I was so tired of all the issues that I realized I had been using the wrong version of the adk.  Once I re-created the custom image of Windows 10 with the correct version of the adk, all the problems magically went away....

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:19:00 AM »

JFX

• Moderator, Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
So you are saying that you can use any version of the adk tools with any version of Windows 10?
Yes, they hardly do much more than just change version info and recompile the tools.
And if they change something they lately often break it.

Your problem should have another reason.