Topic: Increase diskspace for desktop / link folders to desktop / IE  (Read 222 times)

aventre

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Hello Community!

I'd like to place some folders with CMD Tools etc. inside at the desktop.

I tried to do this with the "Additional Files" Script. All good so far, tested successfully with some testfiles and testfolders.

So I placed my desired folders in WinPE "\Workbench\Common\Win10PESE\AdditionalFiles\DirCopy_All\Users\Default\Desktop".

The script run successfully but after booting there is only a black screen. I can't see when exactly but I think its before or after login (Logon as Admin activated).

So I put only a few folders and it works fine.

The I copied the desired folders with the booted WinPE and there is a error, that there isn't enought free space on the desktop.

Is there any way to increase the "diskspace" for the desktop. Or anyone knows how I can put or link the directories on the desktop in another way?

Another question is, if there is a script for Win10PESE to implement Internet Explorer?

Thanks in advance!

Regards from Switzerland

Re: Increase diskspace for desktop / link folders to desktop / IE
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »

maanu

• Code Baker
  • Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
can you live with just a shortcut of that folder to your desktop ?

there are various possibilities ,

1- use PECMD , edit PECMD.INI from your system32 folder , add following lines in last

FORX \FOLDER\FILE.XYZ,TAG,0,TEAM LINK %Desktop%\shortcutname,%TAGE%\FILE.XYZ

above command assumes ,that your mysterious folder is at root of your bootable media either USB or DVD whatever , and a file FILE.XYZ is being linked to your desktop. you can change names accordingly.

you can increase space through FBWF i believe . by the way , what is the size of that folder and why it has to be at desktop ?

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »

aventre

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Thanks for your reply, maanu!

Yes, of course, just a shortcout is also ok.

I'll try your suggestion with PECMD

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »

Tony4219

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Just a thought ...

As I under stand it, everything in the WIM part of WinbuilderSE is stored and ends up being run from RAM. So, if you put a REALLY HUGE amount of things on the default Desktop, perhaps you are bumping up against the limits of the installed RAM on the machine running your completed build.  You did say things worked okay if you had LESS items.

I have about 1 GB of things for my x64 builds, stored in
     ... \Workbench\Common\Win10PESE\AdditionalFiles\DirCopy_x64\RealWinOnly

which is a folder of things I keep that either don't run in WinPE or don't run well, but work in real Windows and therefore are handy to have on a 32GB rescue stick.

These are NOT stored in the BuilderSE  WIM, but just end up being copied to the root of the USBstick upon build completion.  There are no shortcuts to them, but if you have gigabytes and gigabytes of handy 'stuff', do not use the Desktop folder or any folder under Users that becomes part of the WIM.