Topic: Building custom Windows 7 x64 for Alienware 17 R3 laptop  (Read 1342 times)

Building custom Windows 7 x64 for Alienware 17 R3 laptop
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
I used to use BartPE to build custom ISOs/USB back in the XP days, and now I am looking to build a custom Windows 7 ISO for my Alienware 17 R3 laptop. Unfortunately windows 7 is not really supported as Dell/Alienware really wants to try and force everyone to go to Windows 10. I really don't like Windows 7 and I managed to install Windows 7 x64 after following some others guides on including the necessary drivers via integrating them via NTLITE. The custom USB I created boots up and sees all of the necessary devices and drive after adding lots of missing drivers. I tried using the same custom ISO as the source for WinBuilder but it either blue screens almost immediately on boot complains about a missing CDROM.SYS. I used RUFUS to copy the ISO built by WinBuilder which seemed to work ok without errors. I"m not really sure where to go from here as I just assumed a custom ISO from NTLITE with added patches and drivers, would work correctly with WinBuilder as the source. More details to follow with specific errors.
Two of the main drivers that I had to integrate into the customized ISO were a driver for the M7.sata drive and the USB 3 ports which can not be disabled or forced to be USB 2 ports.

Re: Building custom Windows 7 x64 for Alienware 17 R3 laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
Can't edit original post so:
Some of the things I have tried are:
manually adding the USB 3 and m7.sata drivers with DISM.EXE into both boot.wim and install.wim.
Toggling every combination of the USB3 and driverpack plugins in Winbuilder.

I used to use BartPE to build custom ISOs/USB back in the XP days, and now I am looking to build a custom Windows 7 ISO for my Alienware 17 R3 laptop. Unfortunately windows 7 is not really supported as Dell/Alienware really wants to try and force everyone to go to Windows 10. I really don't like Windows 7 and I managed to install Windows 7 x64 after following some others guides on including the necessary drivers via integrating them via NTLITE. The custom USB I created boots up and sees all of the necessary devices and drive after adding lots of missing drivers. I tried using the same custom ISO as the source for WinBuilder but it either blue screens almost immediately on boot complains about a missing CDROM.SYS. I used RUFUS to copy the ISO built by WinBuilder which seemed to work ok without errors. I"m not really sure where to go from here as I just assumed a custom ISO from NTLITE with added patches and drivers, would work correctly with WinBuilder as the source. More details to follow with specific errors.
Two of the main drivers that I had to integrate into the customized ISO were a driver for the M7.sata drive and the USB 3 ports which can not be disabled or forced to be USB 2 ports.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 02:37:26 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
Sorry this is so disjointed. I just stated the whole process from scratch just in case I missed something. Is there a preferred process for copying a WinBuilder ISO to a USB stick? I've been using RUFUS.

manually adding the USB 3 and m7.sata drivers with DISM.EXE into both boot.wim and install.wim.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
So after using the ISO that was created from NTLITE that had all of the necessary drivers like the USB and m.sata drivers which work fine as an installable source, I get a 0x000000f error almost immediately when booting the from the USB created by copying the ISO from winbuilder. That usually means a missing driver but I can definitely see the drivers on the USB.  I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

Sorry this is so disjointed. I just stated the whole process from scratch just in case I missed something. Is there a preferred process for copying a WinBuilder ISO to a USB stick? I've been using RUFUS.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
The actual blue screen error is 0x0000007b.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
Not having much luck except changing the build to use "In RAM", at least got me to a functioning (non blue screen) bootable USB. It still has several errors and only a cmd prompt after booting, I think I am getting closer.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »

sirjaymz

• Apprentice
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish...?? :confused:

Are you trying to make a Win7x64PESE to run on your Alienware machine?

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 11:43:01 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
Yes. And I finally had success. I had to change the Windows 7 x64 source ISO to one with SP1 integrated but with no additional patches like a newer version of IE. I kept getting missing DLLs (api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0-011) but after I changed source to en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.iso, every started working. Now to go back and try to get some of the important plugins and see if I can get them to work.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish...?? :confused:

Are you trying to make a Win7x64PESE to run on your Alienware machine?

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
I managed to get most of the issues worked out. The main issue I am having now is with plugins that don't seem to work correctly (can't get Acronis Disk Director 12 to work no matter what!) , or that even though the proper files are copied during the build, there are no shortcuts created (GHOST L plugins for instance) regardless of the settings (desktop etc) I choose before the build. All of these are fairly minor but I will keep trying.