Topic: Importing PortableApps  (Read 1164 times)

Importing PortableApps
« on: June 07, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »

Baylink

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I'm diving back into boot disks after some years off, and I'm just building a Win10PESE to go with the Win7PESE I've had for some time, and I have a question:

Is there a prescribed way to *import* an already built collection of PortableApps in a directory, so that Pstart can be run in the tray and see them?

I see the Portabilitron and Pstart/Papps items in the menu of the standard builder tree, but neither of those appears to deal with the "I've already spent hours picking and updating the collection" use case.  Is there something which does?  Or do I just copy the entire PortableApps folder over with Components/Additional Files, and start the launcher manually?

Should I have found this answer somewhere specific without having had to ask? :-)

Re: Importing PortableApps
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 04:08:14 PM »

Baylink

• Apprentice
[ Further ]

I just spotted the Portable Finder stuff under System Tools; is that, perhaps, the prescribed method for doing this part of the overall job?

As a longterm goal, it would be nice if I could maintain the 'real' folder outside of one of the many ISOs on my Easy2Boot stick, and have everything that's in an ISO pick them up from the root FS on the stick...

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:15 PM »

Baylink

• Apprentice
[ Oh, and just for the record: I did a first-build just as it comes out of the tin, with a 1607 x64 ISO, and it worked fine on the first try. ]

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »

Baylink

• Apprentice
Anyone?  Anyone?

Bueller?

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:35:11 AM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
If you have installed PortableApps onto the E2B USB drive, why not just boot to WinPE and click on Start.exe in the root of the E2B drive to start your PortableApps version? Then all your apps will be available for any WinPE that you boot to (assuming it has WoW64 support in 64-bit Windows OS versions).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:37:06 AM by Steve6375 »

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 05:38:13 AM »

Baylink

• Apprentice
Indeed, that will work except in the case where Easy2Boot has had to do ISO emulation to get an image to boot, in which case the root directory of the actual flash drive is no longer available.

In the case of W10PESE, it turns out it is, so this question goes out of scope for this forum -- except that I'd like to figure out the easiest way to get a symlink into the build
that points to that copy of start.exe...

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:55:22 PM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
The latest E2B will boot WinBuilder ISOs as long as it has a .iso file extension and you are booting from a Removable-type of USB stick.
If using .imgPTN files, once you boot to WinPE, use the various apps/scripts in the \e2b folder to switch the E2B drive partition back so you can access the start.exe+apps. It does mean however that any utility files in the original WinPE partition will no longer be accessible to WinPE.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:57:34 PM by Steve6375 »