Topic: Symlinks Hard or Soft possible in PE? Redirection of Program Data - Persistance?  (Read 632 times)

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Are Symlinks or redirect of program data/appdata folders from wim to external during boot possible? redirect of config folder and ntuser.dat possible?  I am not attempting to build frankenstein but I am trying to understand the limits I can push...

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
As far as I practice :

Symlinks put a "flag" to files/folders on ntfs. If target does not there it simply does not work.

Giving example:
I use junction to some folders on external harddrive.
When external harddrive unplugged , junc folders simply does not work├ž
When external harddrive plugged in , junc folders start to work again.

I doubt doing similar trick with ntuser.dat possible . And I have not practice symbolic links inside .wim ?
 Still you can test and let us know.

:turtle:

bob.omb

• Chef
Still you can test and let us know.

I am taking a different direction than Symlinks.  Instead working on Flatboot / Non-RAM boot Script for after Post-Config Script.  Dual partition USB, Deploy WIM directly to first FAT32(X) partition and link to second NTFS partition(Y).

Will need to change CDDrive_X_Y.script to reassign drive letters appropriately and to mount C:\ localdisk.  If it's done right maybe everything else will just work?

Persistance Maybe?

bob.omb

• Chef
Also SYMLinks will not work on flash media, unfortunately..

bob.omb

• Chef
Im an idiot lol

Tsaukpaetra

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Yeah, FAT32 doesn't support the concept of SymLink, though I'm interested to see if they might work in the wim image itself...

bob.omb

• Chef
Its not that I was thinking maybe doing FlatBoot for persistence its already in the main configuration script under build model > Normal.  In the short term its the quickest path to persistence.  I would still love a redirect of some kind from the WIM's program data and or registry to the Y: (one can dream I wish I had time to attempt this somehow)