Topic: How to Create a Windows 10PE Boot Disk  (Read 766 times)

How to Create a Windows 10PE Boot Disk
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:35:33 AM »

jeline

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Hello,

I just downloaded the Windows 10_1703_English_64bit file to be used in creating a Windows 10 PE Boot Disk.

Do I use the WinBuilder (Builder SE) software to create a Windows 10PE Boot disk?

If so, can you give me some guidance as to how to create a Windows PE Boot
Disk successfully.

Thanks for your time and help!

Sincerely,

John Eline

Re: How to Create a Windows 10PE Boot Disk
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 01:36:25 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
This is a joke, right?

I told you in your first thread to download version 1607, not 1703.

If you don't read the answers to your questions, I don't think you'll be very successful in building anything at all.

Have a nice day.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »

jeline

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Hello Atari800xl,

The reason I downloaded the version 1703 instead of the 1607
is because this is the Windows 10 version that I'm using. I
upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Edition and this comes
with the Version 1703.

I did read your last reply. I thought one should download the version
that matched the Wondows 10 operating system version!

I'll download the 1607 version now. I hope this will work with
the WinBuilder (Builder SE) software!

Sincerely,

John Eline

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:57:30 AM »

whiggs

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
It won't.  Take it from someone who has tried.  It won't.  As for what you said concerning needing the same version of the operating system as the one that is installed on the device, well that would depend.  What are you trying to accomplish?  If you are going to use tools that are native to Windows (like sfc, chkdsk, dism), then yes, you would need the same version of the operating system.  However, there is a very convenient way around this.  Lets say you wanted to run sfc on the offline operating system.  Instead of running "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows", run instead the version of sfc that is within the offline operating system.  Assuming that your operating is stored on C: drive, type "C:\Windows\system32\sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows".  That way you are scanning the operating system with the version of sfc meant to support it.  Do the same with DISM and chkdsk.  If, however, you are simply using whatever built in programs that you build into the Winpe, then operating system is irrelevant. 

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:17:57 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
jeline, fair enough, using 1703 was a mistake, but you're on the right track now.
See this thread:
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2089.0

If you're confused by the versions, check here:
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2089.0

Version 1703 is build 15063 (not supported)
Version 1607 is build 14393 (supported)

Whiggs is sure 1607 won't work either, but the fact that he didn't manage to make a successful build doesn't mean it's not supported. I have several test build of Win10PESE on my usb, all based on 1607. Whiggs, if you have any problems, please use a separate thread.

jeline, as I've said before: take some time to read the FAQ/info threads here on the forum, getting your first build to run is always tough, try a completely "standard" build first, once you got that working, then try "messing around" with other settings etc.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »

whiggs

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Atari800xl.  Did you see me ask a question?  I was providing feedback and advising on ways for him to bypass issues that can arise from using a pre installation environment to modify an already existing operating system that is not the same version.  His concerns are completely valid, as using sfc built for windows 7 probably would both break a Windows 10 installation as well as return invalid results.  Same holds true for using DISM built for windows 8 on windows 10.  When using an earlier version of Windows 10, the damage is not as obvious, but it is for this reason that Microsoft releases a new version of the ADK (and by extension, new versions of DISM and all the deployment tools) for every version of Windows 10 released, as the functionality is most certainly not the same and can potentially break the existing os.  This is why I advised that, instead of running the sfc that is native to the pre-installation environment, use the sfc executable that is native to the offline operating system and use that to perform the scan and fix.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:54:26 AM by whiggs »