Topic: Build works in VirtualBox/Hyper-V, but not in QEmu?  (Read 708 times)

Build works in VirtualBox/Hyper-V, but not in QEmu?
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »

Tsaukpaetra

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I'm looking to move to VPS infrastructure, but the hosts are apparently not Hyper-V based, but "xen", and appear to be using QEMU to run the VMs.

For some reason, the same image I've been using for a while to test on Azure just doesn't work on these QEMU VMs, I see the boot.wim getting loaded and the Windows Logo pop up, but it doesn't actually seem to init the kernel or something (no swirling dots, no crashes, just 100% core usage).

How can I troubleshoot this?

Re: Build works in VirtualBox/Hyper-V, but not in QEmu?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »

Tsaukpaetra

• Jr. Chef
I discovered that apparently the version of QEmu that comes packaged is 0.9.0, which is ten years out of date...

Using a recent build found at https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/ I was able to get it up and going, but of course that version is quite a bit bigger than the packaged one (it contains lots of architectures I guess).

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:16:14 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Using a recent build found at https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/ I was able to get it up and going, but of course that version is quite a bit bigger than the packaged one (it contains lots of architectures I guess).

Can you provide parameter you use at cmd to get Win10PESE up and going, so we can test and verify,

If all good we can quickly create a Virtualization qEmu plugin for everyone.  :great:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:37:49 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »

Tsaukpaetra

• Jr. Chef
Can you provide parameter you use at cmd to get Win10PESE up and going, so we can test and verify,

If all good we can quickly create a Virtualization qEmu plugin for everyone.  :great:

"C:\Program Files\qemu\qemu-system-x86_64.exe" -boot d -cdrom "C:\Oven\ISO\Win7PESE_x64.ISO" -L "C:\Program Files\qemu" -localtime -net nic,model=rtl8139  -m 1900

I bodged something with the NIC though, it doesn't actually connect to the network.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Thanks for the good news.  :thumbup:

Get latest plugins from server,
Use
Utils\Update .... (Exact and Secure) -->  Update button

You will notice new plugin :
VirtualTest\"qEmu X Emulation"

which works fine here...

ps: I did not test network , I quickly use parameters from your previous post and some other stuff . I believe we made a good start.  :great:

:turtle:

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
I bodged something with the NIC though, it doesn't actually connect to the network.

ps: I did not test network, I quickly use parameters from your previous post and some other stuff. I believe we made a good start.  :great:

fixed network and added the new plugin to the server. ( v003)

Reminding: latest qEmu able to boot SE, but still slow. Takes a lot time to get PeNetwork install driver and etc.

The main trouble to me with latest qEmu is, mouse pointer do not work properly. If you or anyone figure out how to fix, let me know.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »

Tsaukpaetra

• Jr. Chef
Reminding: latest qEmu able to boot SE, but still slow. Takes a lot time to get PeNetwork install driver and etc.

The main trouble to me with latest qEmu is, mouse pointer do not work properly. If you or anyone figure out how to fix, let me know.

Thanks!

For the mouse issue, maybe you can try adding the parameter for a USB Tablet device?

Code: [Select]
-usbdevice tablet

Edit: Apparently it's supposed to be more like

Code: [Select]
-usb -device usb-tablet
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:12:38 AM by Tsaukpaetra, Reason: Adjusting deprecated parameters »

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 03:41:02 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
-usb -device usb-tablet

did not fix mouse issue.

Added new "qEmu X" plugin to server :
( v006 on server )

When you click "More Options"
- "Boot Disk" button there to mostly test usb disks ( after \WriteMedia\ plugins )
- now there is FAT32 disk to get windows diskmanagement work nicely
- plugin now supports NT5x host (XP/2003)
- you can test additional parameters via "Add Parameters to command line" box (like usb-tablet)
- View Qemu Files --> you will notice 1Debug.cmd to test new things via .cmd edit if that is preferred.
- etc.

Well qEmu boot fine on SE is already good news for out of box solution.
(
 edit: with mostly ~ 18 MB plugin required to test :( , something to pay for out of box solution
ps: All "qEmu 2" file containers to support all kind of test requires ~ 60 MB , 18 MB is for most used situation Nt6x-x64 )
)

hopefully, later qEmu versions will fix mouse issue, or someone provides a working fix in future.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:46:39 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Tsaukpaetra,

Added -device usb-tablet option (enabled default) to qEmu X plugin, now on server (v008)

It does not fix mouse, but better than nothing.  :thumbsup: