Topic: Driver BackUp  (Read 657 times)

Driver BackUp
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Hey You, yea you, Quit lurking and join us! The process is easy and totally pain free.

Driver Export or BackUp call it what you want it's all the same thing.
Last project was all about PE, this time something similar but all about Windows

This will be a whole new process with NO dependencies on other programs like DISM or Double Driver!
I am running Windows 7 on an 8 year old GateWay But should be compatible with everything Vista and Up.
For me to know how to proceed I need Your FeedBack so Please Reply!

Without your feed back I have so many options here I don't know what to do next.
Give me some input, reply until then I can't and won't develop this further.
I leave you with this, I think it's faster than dism and double driver combined.
Saves selected 3rd party drivers to C:\driverbackup
* DriverBackUp_OEM_v1.2.7z (795.19 kB - downloaded 55 times.)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:30:56 AM by trashy »

Re: Driver BackUp
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:17 AM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
I will probably combine the 2, options save all drivers save third part drivers only and leave it alone.
Make it stand alone, not dependent on any other program.
I think it may end up being faster than Double Driver and DISM.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
At this point all I'm concerned with is grabbing the third party drivers which I've already accomplished.
The only thing I have left to do is find a way to associate the device Name/Description to the driver files.
That's what the top half of the listview is, used WMI to get system device info. Not gonna do much more
leave it stand alone!

I still want to do something more extensive using DISM as alternative. My options are numerous
what to do from there. Could add export all drivers or an install option. I will let you decide.
So everyone I put it to you, how do I finish this project, what kind of option would you like to see?

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:51:53 AM »

APT

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Hi trashy
I do commend you for all the effort you put into your projects  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
For me, with the thousands of installs/builds i've done since Dos days there was not a driver backup need until around XP ish era.
since then its seems sensible to back up drvs and i've used several different progs to achieve that, but have to admit, i've never needed to use them in real life, so my interest is casual.
All I can say is I tried your app and it certainly worked on the win7 x64 desktop i currently using. On one of my Win10 machines i have virtual machines from W95 onwards, so if you would like any testing i'd be happy to help, just let me know, what your looking out for.
btw it would be useful to be able to select a drive/dir to backup to rather than just C:\drivers cos on my stuff C is normally a smaller fast drive i try and keep as clear as poss!
Anyway, keep up the good work  :great: :great:

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Thank You APT
That would help answer a big question will it truly work on everything Vista and up.
Stuck with XP as long as I could will stick with 7 the same way I'm sure.
Due to a recent major malfunction all I have running is 7 x64.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Version 1.2
Added select driver save folder. Intended this from start, still want to add an ini to hold program settings.