Topic: WIN10PE SE without reboot  (Read 309 times)

WIN10PE SE without reboot
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:22:39 PM »

JW01

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I have a Windows XP PC with no network card (I also have a Windows 10 laptop, in case you thought I was hopelessly 19th century); this PC contains all my data files.
I recently bought 2 8TB disks (storage and backup) to replace my pair of 3TBs, only to discover that they were not supported by XP.
After looking at various options I came across WIN10PE SE and burned it to DVD, and it did exactly what I wanted. There was only one problem: it took over 5 minutes to load. And in any case I would have preferred to be able to access the disks without a reboot.
So my question is: since I don’t need WIN10PE SE as a rescue disk (although I can still use it as one if necessary) and I usually end a session by hibernating rather than powering off, is there any way that I can seamlessly run it from hard disk to access the 8TBs without a reboot?
Many thanks.

Re: WIN10PE SE without reboot
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:05:20 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
since I don’t need WIN10PE SE as a rescue disk (although I can still use it as one if necessary) and I usually end a session by hibernating rather than powering off, is there any way that I can seamlessly run it from hard disk to access the 8TBs without a reboot?
Many thanks.

Maybe it is better for you to create a bootable vhd for Win10

See WinNTSetup
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1236.0

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »

JW01

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Thanks for your reply.
However, when I try to run WinNTSetup it says it needs Win 8 ADK, and when I look that up it does not support XP.
If there is a solution for an XP host to run a 10 VHD I'd be grateful if you could spell out the steps as there does not appear to be much documentation.
Many thanks.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
You wont be able to install it on the same drive as xp.  If you use another drive just burn it the same way you would a usb.  This works for burning ISO to HD's http://unetbootin.github.io/ also you will need to edit the boot manager to add XP --to the--> Win10PESE boot manager.  You will need to use Win10PESE as your primary drive, but you can set default boot to load your xp drive from the Win10PESE bootmanager if you want.
- I do not think the XP bootloader will support boot to your 10PESE

This method should work there are very few steps to it, but google will provide answers on how to do these tasks, they are everyday normal PC tasks.

------

BUT..  If I were you I'd just virtualize the XP disk and upgrade to windows 10.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:33:48 PM by bob.omb »

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:27 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Thanks for your reply.
However, when I try to run WinNTSetup it says it needs Win 8 ADK, and when I look that up it does not support XP.

It is better you prepare your Win10 vhd on your Win10 host machine with WinNTSetup with a separate flashdrive, then boot this flashdrive on xp machine.

or check google: portable Win10
--> still you need to prepare portable Win10 on your Win10 host first.

or ......