Topic: 10PESE in German C't magazin #21-2017  (Read 595 times)

10PESE in German C't magazin #21-2017
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:45:50 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Congrats ChrisR, the annual C't "notfall" special is out, based on 10PESE, of course.

I have a scan, if you want it. They gave you proper credit in the introduction, that's nice...
I hope you can now finally buy that nice sports car you always wanted (from the money they sent you).

If anybody here has the project files, I would appreciate a copy (just to see how they "verschlimmbessert" it).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:46:17 AM by Atari800xl »

Re: 10PESE in German C't magazin #21-2017
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:34:52 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
still same shameless C't  :lol:

edit:
It seems:
P. Siering (c't)
works on all these stuff
https://www.heise.de/forum/c-t/Kommentare-zu-c-t-Artikeln/c-t-Notfall-Windows-2018/forum-389077/
here is older:
https://www.heise.de/forum/c-t/Kommentare-zu-c-t-Artikeln/c-t-Notfall-Windows-2017/forum-370171/
here is old topic here:
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=775.0

and somehow cause failures during build ?!?!?!
from posts there can be again a server ! which also cause failure for download !!!!
 edit: here is server that does not work: http://ctnotwin18.ct.de - ctnotwin18.ct.de

Maybe P. Siering (c't)  is Mark we know from old times (maybe not ! ),
 and buy that nice sports car.  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:14:11 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
I have a scan, if you want it. They gave you proper credit in the introduction, that's nice...

I do not see
https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/c-t-Notfall-Windows-2018-3813147.html
Maybe 2 words on paper.....

All I see is  P. Siering (c't) rename Win10PESE to ctnotwin18  !!!!!!
 open a none working server (at least not public I guess)
  add many Apps plugins with German interface folders (directly to project folder)
    open a dedicated forum

I guess I need to work at c't  :lol:

:turtle:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:12:16 AM by Lancelot »

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »

ChrisR

• Moderator, Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I will continue to dream, for the nice sports car :sleeping:
To console me, I tell myself that the dream is probably the best time.

They will find one day but for now it seems they are still looking for the donate button :doh7:
They found my mail to ask for my permission and my adress to send me the magazine, a bit later. So, I keep a little hope. 

At the same time, they are not the only, AOMEI did not find the button either for their PEBuilder2.0

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Where is the donate button? =)

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »

ChrisR

• Moderator, Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
 :lol: 
Tell them, If you find it :wink:

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »

PetePossum

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hi,

had a look at the project. Nothing really exciting except some special apps like 1 year licensed versions of drive snapshot or speed commander.. They talk about a .NET problem they had last year, where the build process obviously modified .NET paths of the host system you built on. This should be fixed in ctnotwin2018. I have never experienced such issues when I built Win10PESE.

The did not "verschlimmbesser" it ;) It is working OK but as mentioned, I also do not see anything they improved.

As mentioned they gave credit to ChrisR and the other team members, and explicitely mentioned that it's not their tool,

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:58:18 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
remembing old pm I got and replied
I am referring to an old thread:

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1454.msg22408#msg22408

You wrote "I see c't did VERY VERY ugly things on Win10PESE. .............................. stupid"

I like to learn – what should we do better on the next run?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
XXXXXX (accounting for supporting and co-customizing the project the last couple of years)

Hi

First of all, better you open a public topic for c't distribution..

What c't shortly did result with not good working projects (this time Win10PESE)  in passing time.........

In the end, for public benefit, it is obvious c't open topic for its distributions to do better result.
 Instead c't always try to do things itsself and naturally can not deal with bad results.

See You on a topic, where others can comment and discuss for better results on c't distribution.

:turtle:

Every year, a little hope  :lol:

There is even a plugin to properly create a custom zip distribution available on server which seems not used.  :lol:

If I was working in a magazine, and create Win10PESE zip distribution,
 I would open a topic http://theoven.org/index.php?board=36.0 to do things correctly.

It would be good +1 P. Siering (c't) dealing with some German plugins and projects.
   Instead P. Siering (c't) try to handle all distribution, server, maintance and causing a set of bad result.

+
c't maybe using a bug tool to create server ini cause failure on server

Where is the donate button? =)
:lol:

They found my mail to ask for my permission and my adress to send me the magazine, a bit later. So, I keep a little hope. 
4 copy of magazine would be better.  :lol:

At the same time, they are not the only, AOMEI did not find the button either for their PEBuilder2.0
I do not know this case.

As mentioned they gave credit to ChrisR and the other team members, and explicitely mentioned that it's not their tool,
Maybe I miss, nothing on internet I found given on my previous post. Give us link.

Well life goes...... :turtle:

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:35:49 AM »

petsie

• Apprentice

from posts there can be again a server ! which also cause failure for download !!!!
 edit: here is server that does not work: http:// ctnotwin18.ct.de - ctnotwin18.ct.de

It works well: we are using the download function only for distributing updates not to host the whole project tree.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 03:49:57 AM »

petsie

• Apprentice
They talk about a .NET problem they had last year, where the build process obviously modified .NET paths of the host system you built on. This should be fixed in ctnotwin2018. I have never experienced such issues when I built Win10PESE.

In that case you had not enabled the "complete .NET 2/3/4"-option. The bug had been in the original win10pese for a while and was fixed after fredo61 posted here:

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1454.msg22390#msg22390

The issue has also been fixed in the old ctnotwin2017 completely a few weeks after release. We disabled the complete .NET a few days after release.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:09:13 AM »

petsie

• Apprentice
Just a few more words on our perspective and on what were are doing:

We start with a snapshot of win10pese. We add and remove things we think are or are not usefull for a recovery system. We talk to several software verndors to get permissions to include their software into the image we're going to distribute. We do intense testing of the kit building with different versions of Windows (7, 8.1, 10, 32 bit, 64 bit, home, pro enterprise). We check with many av software.

We keep this kit running for a while. If something breaks (software vanishing, download addresses moving ...) or we introduced any bugs, we deliver updates for the released kit by our own "update server" (which is just serving updated scripts/ctnotwin18.ct.de in case today). We answer a lot of questions within our forum and by email. I won't post any user counts, but be sure that the kit has a huge user base.

imho: With this in mind it is not a bad idea, to decouple your developments from such a distribution. May be there are better ways to do so. I am open for discussion. In the long run, people who like to hack win10pese and to get further with it, are coming to this forum. So where is the problem?