Topic: Need advice on how to create a Plugin  (Read 170 times)

Need advice on how to create a Plugin
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »

kimball

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Hello everyone,

I want to create a new plugin for a program called Input Director. This is a free virtual KVM software that lets you control multiple computers' keyboard and mouse on your network.

I've read over the Plugin Writing Tips thread and the Plugin Creator thread but I'm still very confused where to start. I guess my problem is, after searching I see a lot of excellent tips and info about creating plugins, but it's scattered across many different forum topics. I can't seem to find a good "How To Create Plugins" all in one document anywhere. Maybe once I figure this out with your help, I can contribute some documentation.

A quick background of the software environment: Input Director installs as several EXE files plus a DLL file, and it has to be registered as a service. There are also some registry keys I'd like to customize and I found a thread about Utils\RegCPE, so I'm aware of it if I need to use it. But for now I'd be thrilled just getting Input Director installed onto my image so it runs as a service at startup. I can move on to advanced things later...

So to create a plugin in general, should I use PC Packed, or PC Provide Files, or PC Innounp? Can I just 7z the Input Director installer .exe file and run PC Packed and that's it, Gena will do the rest? Or do I need to manually make a script that puts all the components where they belong in the installed system (EXE files, DLL file), and register the service, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Re: Need advice on how to create a Plugin
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Hi kimball,

As a start Here is a short post :

download
https://www.inputdirector.com/downloads.html
InputDirector.v1.4.zip
 and extract InputDirector.v1.4.build110.Setup.exe
than:

Utils\PC Packed
1) ............InputDirector.v1.4.build110.Setup.exe
2) InputDirector.exe

But for now I'd be thrilled just getting Input Director installed onto my image so it runs as a service at startup. I can move on to advanced things later...
Hit "Options" button
Enable "Add Startup Option"

3) Goooooo

==>
This will get you a plugin that adds InputDirector to your build (Big Blue)

Then you can work on to get InputDirector work.

Good luck.

:turtle:

edit:
fixed post
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:53:04 PM by Lancelot »