Topic: PEStartup allows you to configure WinPE without rebuilding  (Read 461 times)

PEStartup allows you to configure WinPE without rebuilding
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:26:11 PM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
The PEStartup utility from AIOBoot allows you to configure a XP/7/8/10 WinPE from within WinPE. A user can add Desktop shortcuts, autorun apps, add in registry fragments and drivers and this is remembered the next time you boot to WinPE.
See my blog post http://rmprepusb.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/add-lightweight-winpe-versions-to-e2b.html
It would be nice to add this into WinBuilder. You can ask the author https://www.aioboot.com/en/winpe-10/#comment-3549801671
It could be accompanied with a set of useful registry .reg files too maybe?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:27:51 PM by Steve6375 »

Re: PEStartup allows you to configure WinPE without rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:44:54 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Hi Steve6375,

There is nothing to add winbuilder.
 Next time Ask winbuilder authors and they will give you information why it can not be done.

About Projects here :
we already implemented an overall solution a year ago.

when you add
TheOven_Startup_CD.cmd
file to any of Gena and SE projects

you can do anything you want, without rebuilding image
ex:
Add Drivers
Create Shortcuts
Snapshot registry and load at next tool
etc. etc.
whatever with whatever tool you use.
TheOven_Startup_CD.cmd "remembered the next time you boot to SE or Gena"  :wink:

See topic:
Portable Finder Startup CD http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1900
Also related
Portable Finder Startup http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1891
Portable Finder CMD http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=370

+
There is also
Gena\Tweaks\ImageCreator
Gena\Tweaks\WimImageCreator
written by Nikzzzz about 8 or more years ago that do similar on Gena BooDI and Gena WimBoot  :wink:

:turtle:

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
Thanks, but PEStartup does not require you to edit the .cmd file manually to add shortcuts, etc. It is all done through the GUI and no external files like nircmd are needed.
It is MUCH easier and more convenient for the user. Please take a few minutes to read the blog article.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:00:39 AM by Steve6375 »

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:07:36 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Please take a few minutes to read the blog article.
Already done.

It is all done through the GUI and no external files like nircmd are needed.
PEStartup is itself an external file.  :wink:

Maybe you can add how to implement PEStartup to Gena and SE via TheOven_Startup_CD.cmd on your blog

It is MUCH easier and more convenient for the user.
I agree, deserves a nice "PEStartup" topic at Development section
http://theoven.org/index.php?board=18.0

It is good to have more ways.  :wink:
:turtle:

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:45:36 AM »

oldB

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
This looks like a really useful addition for anyone who want to customise a WinPE but doesn't want to get stuck into DISM, WAIK etc. or over-use of UltraISO - especially on Flash Memory drives.

An easy question first - when creating an 'Autorun' entry you prompt for a Path and parameters...
I tried 'Drive\Path\MyBatFile.Bat' and 'Parm1' and that gave me a message telling me that Windows(?) couldn't find 'Parm1'
I then tried as you asked - JUST the path - i.e. 'Drive\Path\' and used 'MyBatFile.BaT Parm1' as a parameter list - that doesn't show me an error but doesn't do what I am expecting.
Can you post an example of what to use as 'Path' and 'Parameters' - ideally of a '.Bat invokation' please?

On a broader point - I am using PEStartup using Gandalf's WinPE within an Easy2Boot USB Flash drive.

What I am trying to get my head around is - First - where to put what - e.g. Your own App but also the PortableApps that I would *ideally* just have 1 copy on the USB even though I may have 2-3 variants of WinPE to use them from. In E2B it *appears* that I can get away with just one (2nd = x86) instance of PEStartup and Portable App's.

Second is the topic of UEFI which affects the above - do I need to have all the App's inc. PEStartup within the build or can I get the same level of "sharing" of App's inc. PEStartup between WinPEs? OR? Do I need to look for a UEFI-compliant tool similar to E2B?

I have just realised that I am probably a little off-topic but I am asking here because what you have created in PEStartup addresses the same *sort* of requirements for Easy to Manage Bootable WinPE tools...

If this *is* too off-topic please suggest a more suitable sub-forum or even a different forum/site if that is more appropriate... Many thanks in advance...

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
The problem with doing it this way is your using the same amount of effort you could be using to learn how to do it the correct way... It's only easy once you learn it, but so is properly creating a build.. This is a bad habbit.  I highly recommend learning how to use the builder rather than rely on someone else's build if you plan on making enough modifications that you would need this tool.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:48:14 AM by bob.omb »

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
First - it is not my app! Please read the blog link.
Second - I added a new shortcut to run TEST.BAT with a parameter of STEVE. The TEST.BAT contained
Code: [Select]
echo %1
pause
and it worked fine and printed STEVE and Press a key to continue.
The startup does run and the parameter does work, but you cannot see the cmd console!
I used a batch file of  echo HERE %1 > X:\TEST.TXT  in the TEST.BAT file and then rebooted. The X:\TEST.TXT was made and contained HERE STEVE - so it did run.
To see the cmd console, edit the 'Path to file' to precede it with START - e.g. START D:\TEST.BAT.

https://sites.google.com/a/rmprepusb.com/www/tutorials/143_pestartup

For PortableApps, I just added it to \AIO\Tools folder and created a shortcut to \AIO\Tools\Start.exe.

re. UEFI. If you are using E2B, then UEFI is done by swapping in a new partition containing the UEFI payload. So the \AIO folder will not be available.
If your E2B USB drive is a hard disk, you could keep the AIO folder on a second partition and use a .imgPTNLBAa23 file extension so that the 2nd partition is kept when you switch partitions with E2B.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:12:35 AM by Steve6375 »