Topic: boot.wim size and 0xc0000017 error  (Read 148 times)

boot.wim size and 0xc0000017 error
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
I've been successfully building a WINPE system but because of the large number of drivers and the plugins I have been including and the size of the boot.wim file, I am getting a "Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device " immediately on boot.  I'm trying to build a bootable USB that has several utilities but because I am using grub4dos as the boot loader, I have to use the "run from RAM" option for my plugins. This also increases the size of the boot.wim file. What I am looking for is some way to avoid the RAMDISK error by increasing some parameter but I'm not really sure where to look. I tried changing the SCRATCH space which appears to be 256 but changing to 512 didn't help.
Anyone have any ideas?

Re: boot.wim size and 0xc0000017 error
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:21:56 AM »

ChrisR

• Moderator, Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
but because I am using grub4dos as the boot loader, I have to use the "run from RAM" option for my plugins. This also increases the size of the boot.wim file.
As far as I know, tThere is no link between grub4dos and "run from RAM".
You can use "run from CD(USB)" with grub4dos or other boot loader without restriction and thus reduce the size of boot.wim

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:57:10 AM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
I've tried changing the settings on almost all of the plugins (Chrome,ACronis,Firefox  many more) to NORMAL but after building, there are no links on the desktop or in start->programs.  The only way I have gotten any of them to be visible was to make them "run from RAM".  To be clear, I am not booting the ISO from grub4dos. I am copying all of the contents of  Win7PESE\ISO\TI\WIM to the root of the USB drive and the menu.lst entry looks like:
title Windows 7 PE
chainloader /BOOTMGR
The folder structure on the bootable USB looks like:
/Boot
BOOTMGR
bootmgr.efi
CdUsb.Y
/efi
/Intel
/Programs_SE_x64
/sources
TheOven_Startup_CD.cmd
Win7PE.cd

I've built this over and over (easily hundreds of times) while changing the options for many of the plugins from RAM to NORMAL, trying basically every plugin with both options. In fact, the only plugins that seem to work well with the NORMAL setting, are HWINFO, BGINFO and CHM.
I've been at this for months. I've tried a complete fresh install and building the whole thing from scratch.
I just don't think there are any other settings I can try as I think I have toggled everything.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »

ChrisR

• Moderator, Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I see that you renamed the Programs folder to Programs_SE_x64.
Have you also rename the shortcut's target in Win7pe.cfg ?
ex:
Code: [Select]
[shortcut]
Network|Mozilla Firefox|Y:\Programs\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe||
Desktop|Mozilla Firefox|Y:\Programs\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe||

Code: [Select]
[shortcut]
Network|Mozilla Firefox|Y:\Programs_SE_x64\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe||
Desktop|Mozilla Firefox|Y:\Programs_SE_x64\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe||

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 07:27:44 AM »

JCDinPGH

• Jr. Chef
So I am making some progress. It turns out the reason some of the plugins not showing up was because they just weren't working correctly. Also, I renamed the "programs" folder because I also have an old BartPE system on the bootable USB and I didn't want them to overwrite each other. Fortunately editing the Win7PE.cfg file was unnecessary as it appears to build correctly and I managed to get several of the plugins to work with the "run as normal" option. I've been tweaking thisa for so long that I don't even remember all of the options and combinations of options I have made or changed anymore but it is finally looking much better.

This is probably a topic for another thread but where is the default PATH set and is it easily accessible? I'd like to include some of the dircopy_* directories so they are in the default path.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:05:05 PM by JCDinPGH »