Topic: Request: Read Builder Settings on Plugins  (Read 192 times)

Request: Read Builder Settings on Plugins
« on: December 20, 2017, 06:21:01 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Related to this topic:
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2337.msg25191#msg25191

We need a builder syntax to read (and maybe write !) Builder Settings.

ex:
Builder,ReadSetting,.....

:turtle:

Re: Request: Read Builder Settings on Plugins
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »

Homes32

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
We need a builder syntax to read (and maybe write !) Builder Settings.

ex:
Builder,ReadSetting,.....

Personally I don't like the idea of plugins messing with my settings. I put them in a specific configuration for a reason, and they shouldn't change without my say-so.
Having said that, from a troubleshooting view I see the appeal of a button to set a "project approved" profile, but really if it that's what it takes to make a project build, then the project is doing something wrong.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
, but really if it that's what it takes to make a project build, then the project is doing something wrong.

Than we do all wrong with ALL projects here.
Win10PESE
Win8.1SE
Win8PESE
Win7PESE
Gena

:lol:

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Personally I don't like the idea of plugins messing with my settings. I put them in a specific configuration for a reason, and they shouldn't change without my say-so.

A feature like this could potentially turn on a dependent plugin for something else that you DID turn on on purpose, instead of creating a build that doesn't work. 

For instance, .NET dependency required for EasyBCD plugin but not enabled.  And I'm sure many more possibilities... In this use it would probably be best to add a "Enable dependancies" checkbox in interface.  But that's just one idea off of the top of my head there are many other ways to use a feature like this.

This feature could be very powerful.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:53:52 AM by bob.omb »

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi bob.omb,

you misunderstood.

It is about PEBakery settings.
ex: You can get SE projects fail by only changing 1 setting.

You are writing about enhancements with
Depend=

but it can wait for now.  :wink: I like to get rid of wb first.  :cool:

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Having said that, from a troubleshooting view I see the appeal of a button to set a "project approved" profile

All idea is,
If you change "project default" setting, do not ask for feedback.
-->
We already implement such things to some plugins time to time,
 (ex: Gena Dell CD check)
 giving the option to end user go beyond "project default" settings, without feedback. (flexibility)

AND
If you (not you, mostly new users or none advanced users)
 change "project default" setting, we need a way to set back to "project default" settings.

ex:
When Homes32 (end user) provide a log, with a log warning at top "Not Project Default settings"
Lancelot (Developer) ask Homes32 "Enable Project Default settings on "Main Configuration" plugin, and provide your log again"

Reality:
Homes32 knows what he is doing by changing such setting and will never do such example like above.
Public Lancelot spend time to feedback, always do such things.

I am sure Advanced users will disable "Enable Project Default settings" on "Main Configuration" :wink:

I can not understand why you can not figure out all idea before post.
It is what we are doing all those years with critical project settings, and wb related troubles.
, but really if it that's what it takes to make a project build, then the project is doing something wrong.
Sure, we do all wrong all these years.
But somehow with success.
Think about this.

Anyway,
Half of the related end user troubles we faced before can be solved here:
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2337.0
Other half requires PEBakery write support

Builder,WriteSetting,

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »

Homes32

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I can not understand why you can not figure out all idea before post.
It is what we are doing all those years with critical project settings, and wb related troubles.
Sure, we do all wrong all these years.
But somehow with success.
Think about this.
Chill out. Now read my post again and you will see that I never said anything was wrong with the projects you have contributed to. We are talking about PEBakery now, not old crusty wb settings that caused issues. Furthermore that comment about builds going wrong if a log setting is changed is right on the mark. FOR EXAMPLE: if your project depends on a certain log setting to be modified, your doing it wrong. if your project depends on a compatibility setting, then again, your doing it wrong, fix the project instead of enabling workarounds to old crusty syntax :) Now, before you go taking this personal again, stop and read. I'm not referring to any specific project. Examples. Nothing more. nothing less.

I'm not against a SYSTEM,ReadWriteSettings,<SettingName> or whatever, but don't consider it a priority when if you really want the settings in the log its easier just to use EchoFile http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2337.msg25195#msg25195

A feature like this could potentially turn on a dependent plugin for something else that you DID turn on on purpose, instead of creating a build that doesn't work. 

For instance, .NET dependency required for EasyBCD plugin but not enabled.  And I'm sure many more possibilities... In this use it would probably be best to add a "Enable dependancies" checkbox in interface.  But that's just one idea off of the top of my head there are many other ways to use a feature like this.

This feature could be very powerful.
This isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about plugins updating global PEBakery program settings under the setting button. not turning on or off individual plugins (which btw is easily done with IniWrite)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:29:01 AM by Homes32 »

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »

Lancelot

• Moderator, Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Homes32,

+
I do not know how you split any project from builder that use it.

+
From Project Developer point of view reading (seems to be solved in some future) and writing project settings is required and at critical level. (end of Level=Critical list, not top)

+
There is nothing to fix on projects about related trouble I wrote.
A user can easly cause failure with PEBakery
Project Developer can not know failure is about PEBakery setting now. (after read we can, on road)
-> on wb , we figure out with log, and ask user to re extract zip again.

Project Developer can not provide default builder setting option
--> no need old wb solution to extract again, things hopefully getting better with PEBakery via plugin

Read carefully.

+
Out of topic but:
(which btw is easily done with IniWrite)
no not easy. after iniwrite, other plugin need to be updated by build (System,Load,..plugin) to get enabled for builder......
(wb not available, only by rescan all plugin which is slow)
Anyway,
It is related to feature of Depends= in far future with PEBakery using database it will be very nice.
 not required for now.