Topic: Can't install printer driver, tried (almost) everything!  (Read 656 times)

Can't install printer driver, tried (almost) everything!
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »

io

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Hey guys,
I'm running Gandalf Redstone 1 and I own a Printer of Canon (Model: MG2570).
I want to use it from the Gandalf but I can't install it for some reason.

I tried:
1. install the driver in the boot.wim (with DISM GUI) and running the Gandalf with the changes.
2. install the driver on the Gandalf.
3. Download drivers from the internet and software that supposed to help with it.

Nothing works.
I'm getting errors every time that the computer is not recognizing the printer.

What should I do?

I'm helpless, after scanning the forums for hours and couldn't find an answer I decided to ask..

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Re: Can't install printer driver, tried (almost) everything!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I'm running Gandalf

There is no such project here.
Ask "Gandalf"

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:28:53 AM »

io

• Apprentice
I'm running Gandalf

There is no such project here.
Ask "Gandalf"

I think it's is related to this forum because Gandalf is based on TheOven.
But Gandalf is non-related, The only reason I mentioned it was because I wanted to give the full details to you.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:44 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
But Gandalf is non-related, The only reason I mentioned it was because I wanted to give the full details to you.
Since "Gandalf' have name on it, better ask Gandalf. Google shows it is possible to post "Gandalf"
See Forum Rules.

Other way:
Try one of projects here.

Ps: There is not much you can do with ready iso you will find on Internet.....

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »

io

• Apprentice
Since "Gandalf' have name on it, better ask Gandalf. Google shows it is possible to post "Gandalf"
See Forum Rules.

Other way:
Try one of projects here.

Ps: There is not much you can do with ready iso you will find on Internet.....

Can you link me to one of the projects please?

And do you know how can I run this file? http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=692.0

Thanks you so much for your help

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:38:35 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Can you link me to one of the projects please?

I'm helpless, after scanning the forums for hours and couldn't find an answer I decided to ask..

Spend some time around, you will quickly find links.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »

noelBlanc

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Hi,
I'm not a guru and  my english is poor.
I can explain why it is not "robust" for winpese10 to put printers but it's too long. See my pdf at http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1639.msg19180#msg19180
On the site you are referring to, the manager uses Winpese and suggests that he is the inventor of the system. And I can easily understand how unpleasant it is for those who built the system.
I spent several nights to be able to use my printer in WinPE. I made the effort to document the method to inject his own printer. But there is a but. Even if it's simple, there are so many different cases that there isn't a generic method that can be implemented in Winpese. And Winpese is made by pro that offers an efficient product and that provides it after sales service.
But if you want to try the adventure, write me after reading my PDF.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 08:45:28 AM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
The problem is Gandalf doesn't have the core services needed for printers whether you add drivers or not in his build. He does not visit TheOven (at least not as Gandalf) and therefore you are already one step ahead by having all of these wonderful resources (forum posts and members) at your disposal..

This is why you should work on your own project instead of basing all your effort changing pre built ISO.  Everything you learn would then be useful to you in the future, instead of only for one ISO.  I fear Gandalf took the path of getting something working and then just building on that repeatedly until now he is at a point where he doesn't see where is problems live in his build because he just keeps adding, and he HAS his builder and still can't get it working properly, you only hold the ISO, so 10,000x more difficult for you...

For example:  His latest, shutdown/restart buttons don't work(probably because he uses 72hr time limit without understanding when disabled it breaks these features - this should be user controlled with shortcuts not baked into the build), with his build you cannot use TeamViewer (Latest) anymore because his administrator account is broken (along with a few other apps that require admin), the WIM is massive and takes forever to load, mapping network drives doesn't work, etc.. I feel he has lost his motivation and/or time, and should not be releasing broken products unless he plans to update fixes for the problems in a reasonable time...Otherwise it just makes his quality look bad when I know he is actually very good....Very disappointing...but that is just my opinion.  If you are dependent on a ready made ISO you should be grateful to whoever put the time in to make it... but it is better not to be dependent...

I have only been a member here since July and my current build runs circles around Gandalfs.  Granted everything I now know is thanks to this forum and the community here.  I would never have made it anywhere near where I currently am with Win10PESE without them...

There is no better advice I can give than to ditch the pre-made ISO and work on a custom build for yourself.  Then we will actually be able to help you integrate features like this via plugins and provided support from forums..

(This is after all, the Win10PESE project forum... If you were building Win10PESE :wink: you'd be in the right place  :thumbsup: )

FIRST START HERE ============>  http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1666.0 <=============

THEN GO HERE ===============>  http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1208.0 <=============

THEN YOU WILL
BE ABLE TO GO HERE ===========>  http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=692.msg21579#msg21579 <=============

Good luck!   :great:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:45:25 PM by bob.omb »

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »

slore

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
try to switch to the Administrator session.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:29:53 PM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Slore,

The problem is...

...his administrator account is broken

You cannot switch to admin session in Gandalf's distributed ISO....it is broken in his build, he made changes that need to be corrected/updated
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:35:04 PM by bob.omb »

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 03:09:22 AM »

noelBlanc

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Please, see the " Reply #102" in http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1639.100  :smile:
My file pdf explains, my script traitement.ps1 shows details.
Not a very good explanation, I agree, but i shows how to get printers.
spooler service doesn't need "adm" account ...
Also valide for version 1709 ( i admit, for this version, i test only with the XPS and PDF built in printers )
Sorry for my english, i speak better x86 assembler language  :wink: