Topic: Problem with win10pe  (Read 602 times)

Problem with win10pe
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »

samiwise

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Hi there,

I build a standard windows 10 pe, Winbuilder said that everything is ok, but when i use it on PC,  it start to load and when it have to show the desktop, it blinks and PC is rebooting. No Error codes given or anything and i can't understand what is wrong with it.

I'm attaching the support log.

Re: Problem with win10pe
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:12:13 PM »

RoyM

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Hey samiwise, and Welcome.

My usual way of testing a non-working .iso build is this.
Burn it to cd/dvd, boot from cd/dvd, (On 'known-good' hardware),
this eliminates possible vm issues/settings.
But, The above, Still does not eliminate specific hardware issues.

If it boots from cd/dvd rom, it's probably a vm setting, try another vm,
or experiment with the vm settings by creating your own settings
in vbox and and booting the .iso from different vbox profiles,

It's usually safe to disable the vm's bells and whistles,
just so you can load the .iso to FULL boot.
Meaning disable support for USB, disable Audio, Use Standard Video.
Change the Memory settings, etc, sometimes you just have to play with them
to get them to work on specific hardware.

According to your support log, best found vm is vbox, 'I love vbox',
due to hardware constraints, I have not used vbox for years now though,
and only on specific dev machines. Back in the day I used to post Winbuilder
.scripts for vbox integration into your own build in the Win7 days.
Currently I use Qemu usually in an x64 flavour.

This is a must have .reg entry for dev.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl]
"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
; 0= Disabled, 1= Enabled

If the above info does not help you.
You will need bigger and better tools.
I assume you are an advanced user.
If not, "Please Advise".
Regards
RoyM

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »

samiwise

• Apprentice
Hey,

Thank you for your replay.
I have test it on two different PC's and it is doing exactly the same thing on both machines. The USB flash that i use is easy2boot drive and i have an older WIN8PE on the same drive which is working without problems at all on both PC's. I am advanced user, but i have very little experience creating WIN ISO.

I have made the changes in the registry of the build and disabled autoreboot, but yet again i had the same result with rebooting.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Burn directly to USB without E2B, use Rufus to burn ISO to USB - There are EXTRA requirements for your build to be compatible with E2B (e.g. everything must be loaded into WIM etc etc)

Let us know if the ISO works before adding twists and turns into the process...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:55:18 AM by bob.omb »

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »

samiwise

• Apprentice
Hi,

I did that, Burned the ISO on second USB drive with Rufus, same thing happens, reboots without any info about it. I have also downloaded Gandalf's Win10PE on my E2B drive and it is working.

What i have noticed is that my build is only 630mb, while my old Win8PE is 1.8gb and Gandalf's Win10PE is 4.5GB, i don't know if that matters but just saying it.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »

noelBlanc

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Hi samiwise,
Sorry for my poor english... I'm not a guru with winbuilder but i know a little winpe.
With burning your iso in a CD/DVD, you eliminate the issue from usb stick. So, your winpse actually reboots even with usb stick and CD/DVD.
I a same case, i begin like RoyM said : i create an other time the ISO ( verify option one more time or better: "no external programs" in a first time ) and i test in a VM (hyperv for me). Note:  I prefere using hard disk usd and no usb stick because i think hardware is "better", but if you can't...
If no good result ( reboot in your case ), i do the "SOS" action : i modify "system\setup\cmdline = cmd.exe" the system hive in the boot.wim
Yes it's a bit long.
But the benefice: you can investigate your winpe if it boots and display the black box cmd and elimine many addings of winbuilder.
If no good, well, there is a ghost in the code ( drivers,  support source of windows10, something i cant' imagine...) .
if good, what you need to do depends on what was in cmdline before you modify it.
Hope this help on the method
Ps : size is often not significative, depends on feature you add...
Ps : why using an external program to copy files on a stick usb ( formatted ntfs ) if it is recognize like a dd ? but "basta" for that

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »

samiwise

• Apprentice
After careful re-reading of the tutorial , i saw that i have missed a step -
"Go down and expand the Utilities folder and select "Extract Wim Folders" plugin and hit Goo.."

After i did that, now the build is working. Its strange that this step is way dawn and building not giving any errors, but yeah, should read more carefully.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »

RoyM

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Glad it's working samiwise.
I saw in your build logs that you were using a cd/dvd for your source files,
This should be perfectly acceptable for a build, and used to be common for adding source files.
I saw no errors or problems, it seems, 'something' may be amiss.
And 'Yes', "a 630Mb build is way undersized for a Win10PE".

Happy Baking Everybody.
RoyM

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 07:25:15 PM »

bob.omb

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
630mb is fine for a PE.  The smaller the better. (This is the WIM I am talking about not the entire ISO.  If you have a basic build with a minimum amount of tools the entire ISO will not be much bigger than the WIM.) I have seen 250mb WIM files and they booted insanely fast, all files not needed during boot were run via script after the WIM was loaded. All programs were zipped in self extractable scripted archives that would expand when their shortcut was clicked and run each program.  Keep your PE as small as possible to improve performance.

smaller = less ram usage / quicker load times = can run on a wider selection of machines due to less hardware demands

People that make very large WIM files limit what they can be run on.  On the other hand if everything is loaded into the WIM (Run from RAM) you can remove the USB once its booted or use it with E2B.  So it really depends on what your trying to do.  As a basic rule of thumb for any standard build you should be keeping your WIM as small as possible for boot performance and hardware requirements.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:30:59 PM by bob.omb »