Topic: UEFI Bootable  (Read 35640 times)

Re: UEFI Bootable
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I sent those files.

Something in the chameleon bootloader files i found yesterday and haven't played with is a driver file called NTFS_x64.efi.  It won't be of any help to the bios finding the efi partition, but may be usefull for some "trickery" some day.  If refind is slow or unresponsive, delete efi\boot\drivers_x64\NTFS_x64.efi as i added that and its technically not supposed to be there.    Refind uses efi\boot\drivers_x64 and efi\boot\drivers_ia32, and chameleon uses efi\drivers32, drivers64, and drivers64UEFI.  I deleted most of the files chameleon uses for booting macs in the efi folder.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »

laddanator

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Thanks  :thumbsup: Will test away and post results.

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 03:58:36 AM »

laddanator

• Chef
Efi only boots from fat32.  I prefer ntfs for the speed and the fact the file system has no size limitations.   To get around this on usb sticks, i make 2 partitions using acronis dd or easus.  The first is ntfs, and the second is a 500 meg fat32 partition.  As windows can only see one partition at a time, i use bootice http://bbs.ipauly.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2 and select the usb.  Then parts manage, select the fat32 partition, and select "assign drive letter".  This will hide the ntfs partition and show the fat32 one.   Then add the efi dir, a boot.wim in sources, make it bootable with /nt60, and revert back to the ntfs partition.  Set this up as normal and make bootable with whatever you want (grub, syslinux, bootmngr, etc...).  If you have efi enableed in bios, it will boot from the hidden fat32 partition in efi, and if you use the setup files in x:\sources\setup.exe it will find and use the install.wim on the ntfs partition.  The boot.wim boots into ram, but the PE only sees the ntfs partition as its set active.  If you use ntfs, syslinux 5.01 and grub4dos 0.4.5c-2013-03-03 both work with ntfs.

halikus, not having any luck with the hidden partition method. I did exactly as you posted. I copied all of my Win8PE SE x64 to the fat32 hidden partition with my efi folder and my Bios sees the USB as an UEFI and boots the hidden partition but on the screen where I edit the bcd to add multiple boot choices, I choose and I get an error that the file or boot.wim could not be found. I think it has something to do with the partition being hidden. Not sure if I am suppose to copy all of my Win8PE SE stuff to the hidden partition? I also only copied the efi to my fat32 hidden partition and the PE stuff to the ntfs partition and same result.   

Are you saying have a source folder on the fat32 partition with boot.wim only and another source folder on the ntfs partition with the install.wim?   :confused: As you know, PE stuff on use a boot.wim.

Also, if I unhide the fat32 partition, my WinPE stuff boots fine. Only when I hide (when I say hide, I mean change the partition back to the ntfs one from bootice) the partition is when I have issues.

To add, I can copy Ubuntu 12 x64 DVD to that fat32 partition  and everything boots and loads fine, just having issue with Windows stuff. This is the error

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:50:29 AM by laddanator »

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef
F@%&!  This is the third time i tried to post a long winded explanation and the site asks me to log in when i hit post, thus erasing my post.  Im going to drink a sympathy beer and try to remember what i wrote.  In the mean time, here is screenshots of my layout.   I think the fact you have to boot x86 rather than x64 (the way i have it set up) is the problem, or else the name and location of your boot.wims may be wrong in accordance with efi\microsft\boot\bcd.   With your screenshot, did you get to the refind menu, and then selected windows, or did it bypass refind and jump to the corrupted bcd?  Ill post pictures of my layout and the refind x86 file you can put into efi\boot.  Im beyond pissed my last post didn't work.

fat32

ntfs

Jesus, i tried to post again and it said i had already posted and errored again, then errored out when i included the boot file (wrong format).  Thankfully, i copied the post before hitting send.  If i was in Rage Against The Machine i would write a song about it.

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »

laddanator

• Chef
What happens is, I copy all of my Win8PE stuff to the fat32 partition and then I assign drive letter back to the NTFS partition and the fat32 is no longer available. Here is how the root of my fat32 partition looks

I didn't hide the partition or was I supposed to from bootice? This is how my USB drive looks from bootice

I can copy those same files to just a fat32 USB with no other partition and everything loads fine, both x64 and x32 Win8PE on a (U)EFI bios with or without secure boot. When I put the same files on a two partition USB drive, on the fat32 partition, my BCD comes up with my menu choices

Win8PE SE x64
Win8PE SE x32
Windows 8 X64 Install

If I choose either one of the options, I get the error in my previous post.

Also trying to figure how to "boot" these kinda files .efi from BCD or is that not possible?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:01:14 PM by laddanator »

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef
Ok, now i see some differences.  Just for the record, i have seen your posts all over the net on the random forums i visit.   We have probably taken snippets of code from each other  over the years without even realizing it.  I seem to remember all your grub4dos entries use a "laddsusb" tagfile, that sticks out like a sore thumb.  We seem to be on the same page with terminology, using google for our problems, booting, and both like to have as many boot options as possible just because we can.  In a perfect world, we both want to be able to have as many boot options possible, in efi and mbr, and then be able to chainload as many as possible, from cd or usb or both.  Once you get this USB trick working, we have a pretty good base to test all the booting possibilities on all hardware, and have a truly universal USB key that could cover NT5, NT6, Mac, and linux.  So i don't mind helping with this and clarifying some things, as i've scoured the web and would like a decent post with updated config entries and tried and true methods that work.   

1st, its good you tried the files on various usbs with minimal changes.  You have to have a good working base to be able to figure out the bugs.  I use the Win8 x86 \boot dir as my base, and the Win8 x64 \efi directory and bootmgr.efi.  Do you also add bootia32.efi to efi\boot, and do you use the x64 or x86 efi dir as a base? 

2nd, you must download as much as me and have alot of HDDS.  Both of our USB sticks are J: in bootice ;)  I did notice one big difference in our Bootice settings.  That leads me to believe that we formatted the sticks differently.  Im sure we will figure this out through some tinkering, but it would be nice to have an exact method to do it so others can easily replicate this.  I think i used Easus to format mine, but the big difference (besides cluster size) is partition size (does efi partitions have a size limit? ) and the fact my fat32 drive is set to active.  As you can see, my fat32 is hidden like yours, but you have no active partition.  That leads me to believe had the ntfs drive been active, it may not of worked also.

As for booting .efi files from the bcd, thats something i would like to know more on also.  The script in boot called @BCD.cmd will make a nice bcd from scratch, with many boot options.  Just change the paths to your liking.   There is a memtest.efi that can load, so its possible, unless there is a digital signature and its special.  Otherwise, maybe we can substitute our favorite efi alternative in its place and run it via tab button.   I think the main thing to consider with bcd booting is not trying to boot the actual efi file, but rather what the efi file is trying to load.  As i use refind to boot efi, if i select the windows boot and get to the bcd, i can just hit escape and it takes me back to refind.  From there you can load another efi file.

Last but not least for this rant, i found that the newest Ubuntu 12.10 x64 is supposed to defeat secure boot.  I don't have secure boot, so i can't test it, but i was wondering about some trickery like this.

Ubuntu uses grub2, and loads efi\boot\bootx64.efi, wich defeats (supposedly) secure disk, and then loads grubx64.efi in the same directory.  Im wondering if we can rename grubx64.efi to grub2.efi, and then renaming an efi file of our choice (like refind) and name it grubx64.efi having boot with secure boot disabled.  If using refind, you could then load any efi file you want.  Also, efi shell can be useful.  It loads an efi cmd prompt, and you can just type in the name of any efi file in efi\boot and it will boot it.

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 02:12:28 PM »

laddanator

• Chef
1st, its good you tried the files on various usbs with minimal changes.  You have to have a good working base to be able to figure out the bugs.  I use the Win8 x86 \boot dir as my base, and the Win8 x64 \efi directory and bootmgr.efi.  Do you also add bootia32.efi to efi\boot, and do you use the x64 or x86 efi dir as a base? 

2nd, you must download as much as me and have alot of HDDS.  Both of our USB sticks are J: in bootice ;)  I did notice one big difference in our Bootice settings.  That leads me to believe that we formatted the sticks differently.  Im sure we will figure this out through some tinkering, but it would be nice to have an exact method to do it so others can easily replicate this.  I think i used Easus to format mine, but the big difference (besides cluster size) is partition size (does efi partitions have a size limit? ) and the fact my fat32 drive is set to active.  As you can see, my fat32 is hidden like yours, but you have no active partition.  That leads me to believe had the ntfs drive been active, it may not of worked also.

As for booting .efi files from the bcd, thats something i would like to know more on also.  The script in boot called @BCD.cmd will make a nice bcd from scratch, with many boot options.  Just change the paths to your liking.   There is a memtest.efi that can load, so its possible, unless there is a digital signature and its special.  Otherwise, maybe we can substitute our favorite efi alternative in its place and run it via tab button.   I think the main thing to consider with bcd booting is not trying to boot the actual efi file, but rather what the efi file is trying to load.  As i use refind to boot efi, if i select the windows boot and get to the bcd, i can just hit escape and it takes me back to refind.  From there you can load another efi file.

Last but not least for this rant, i found that the newest Ubuntu 12.10 x64 is supposed to defeat secure boot.  I don't have secure boot, so i can't test it, but i was wondering about some trickery like this.

Ubuntu uses grub2, and loads efi\boot\bootx64.efi, wich defeats (supposedly) secure disk, and then loads grubx64.efi in the same directory.  Im wondering if we can rename grubx64.efi to grub2.efi, and then renaming an efi file of our choice (like refind) and name it grubx64.efi having boot with secure boot disabled.  If using refind, you could then load any efi file you want.  Also, efi shell can be useful.  It loads an efi cmd prompt, and you can just type in the name of any efi file in efi\boot and it will boot it.

Glad we can borrow stuff and nice to see a "boot geek" from cyberspace that is familiar with my laddusd tags. Kinda of conceited, I know!  :lol: 

Yes, I have bootia32.efi in the folder efi\boot as this is required to boot Win8PE SE x86 on this secure boot Acer tablet I was working on, It had 32 bit Windows 8, which I find to be rare but I was able to boot Win8PE SE x86 on a secure boot Acer by adding the bootia32.efi  to efi\boot.

I used Partition Wizard Pro to do the formatting of the USB drive.

I am starting to like refind. Great program or coding.

I was able to boot Ubuntu 12.10 on that secure boot Acer just fine.

Not sure about size limit becasue I am able to boot anything (U)EFI secure boot from a 64 gig USB fat32 drive with no issues

No sure about the renaming stuff but I will continue to test and maybe we can come up with something. Thank you for all of your help by the way, halikus.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:19:43 PM by laddanator »

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 07:11:46 AM »

Bob Kiwi

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I've been trying to follow the conversation for my own setup.

We have a few new HP ProBook 4440s models that have Secure Boot, and can have legacy BIOS or Hybrid UEFI turned on, but these are not the defaults. I'm trying to get my PXE booting solution we use heavily to work with these new models without having to change BIOS settings.

I've upgraded from an x86 Win7PESE project to a nice new x64 Win8PESE project, and that works, but I think I'm going to need to make some changes to the TFTP root folder on the PXE/TFTP server. Has anyone worked with Secure Boot PXE?

I'm working on this problem at the moment but any direction could be useful. I think I need to place the EFI files like bootx64.efi on a location on the server. But I also think that it'd be great to have a Grub2 menu to select between the legacy BIOS 32-bit image and an UEFI 64-bit Secure Boot image. I'll try to put as much info as I can get together, but I'm taking suggestions from anyone I can find knowledgeable on this.

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef
For PXE booting, i don't have any experience.  I have just been too busy to gather the tftboot files for something i don't use or know anything about.  I have been updating all my boot menus to be current for isolinux, grub4dos, grub2, and grub2 efi, and the main problem i have had googling entries is that some commands are outdated.   Something i did notice while reading about PXE booting and EFI is that someone with the same problem as you mentioned that the nic card must support EFI or x64 drivers.  Besides that, i would need some example menu entries of what you have so far to offer any insight what to add to your setup.

Here is a small ISO with my progress for anyone that would like to use it as a template, and it will do the following.

https://mega.co.nz/#!6dslHKiC!bewOWBdu20IBYwHMlXu0XBwZGBUl4RdKAzCgJ5tXjzw

These work from ntfs or fat32 USB, and CD\DVD.  EFI will only boot from a fat32 usb, or with the dual partition trick on your USB.  Grub2 EFI is a WIP, i am in the process of adding knoppix Grub2 for maximum support.  From cd grub2 is minimal because of the size of grub.bin.  There is a cmd file named @BCD.cmd that you can use to make a custom BCD file.  Edit your paths accordingly.

Layout :

Rootdir\bootmgr (win8 x86)
Rootdir\bootmgr.efi (win8 x64)

Rootdir\boot\*.* (all files from Win8 x86 dvd)
Rootdir\boot\EXTRA (gz file addons to boot)
Rootdir\boot\grub (grub2 bios mbr, boots with g2ldr or core.img)
Rootdir\boot\grub4dos (grub legacy bios mbr, boots with grldr)  https://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list
Rootdir\isolinux (isolinux and syslinux files bios mbr, boots with isolinux.bin or a syslinux.bin you make)  https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/4.xx/

Rootdir\efi\*.*  (all files from Win8 x64 dvd)
Rootdir\efi\tools\shellx64.efi (efi shell cmd from a linux distro)
Rootdir\efi\microsoft\boot\Grub.bin (custom efisys.bin for authoring dvds with EFI using refind).  Add files from Rootdir\efi\boot\ , resize with UltraISO.

Rootdir\efi\boot\ :
- bootx64.efi  (The first file that boots)  I use Ubuntu 12.10 or Fedora 18 to defeat secureboot.  It then loads grubx64.efi (refind)
- rEFInd (rEFIt) boot manager : drivers_ia32, drivers_x64, icons, refind.conf, bootia32.efi (renamed refind x86 .efi),  grubx64.efi (renamed refind x64 .efi)  http://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/   http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
- grub2x64.efi, fonts\unicode.pf2, grub.cfg. (renamed grub2 efi file, i use Fedora)  It will look for grub.cfg in either efi\boot\ or boot\grub\ depending on your version.
- w7x64.efi, w8x64.efi, w8x86.efi (renamed bootx64.efi files, loaded via refind)

*optional Rootdir\ISO (place ISOs here)
*optional Rootdir\LINUX  (place extracted Linux distros here).  I use Ubuntu and Backtrack5. (ie: Rootdir\LINUX\UBUNTU\ -ubuntu files from iso-)  For Ubuntu, you also must add the directory .disk to the root of your cd)

BCD BIOS menu :
- boots wim files (reference locations in bcd)
- boots Isolinux (on cd authored with Isolinux) or Syslinux (on USB if you make the syslinux.bin with supplied cmd)
- boots grub4dos
- boots Grub2
- Boot ISO, IMG, or gz (modified grldr added to bcd)
- boot ntldr (if found)
- boot i386\setupldr.bin (depends how you author the dvd)
- boot to EFI mode from BIOS mode (must have fat32 USB) (modified grldr boots EFI_DUET.gz)  https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi_duet_builds
- boot c:\ Windows (if the BCD entry corresponds to your partition)
- *PXE possible but no files or entries

Grub4dos BIOS menu :
- lists drives with bootable Windows (using iftitle for bootmgr)
- boots BCD menu
- boots Grub2 BIOS
- boots Isolinux and syslinux
- scan and list bootable Windows drives
- Boot ISO, IMG, or gz
- boot gz extras
- boot Ubuntu (any casper based Linux)
- boot Backtrack5
- boot EFI boot duet
- memtest

Grub2 BIOS menu :
- boots BCD menu
- boots Grub4dos BIOS
- lists drives with bootable Grub OS
- boots HDDs
- Boot ISO (add specific entry)
- Boot Linux Distributions (Ubuntu and BT5)
- scan and list bootable Windows drives
- memtest

Isolinux \ Syslinux BIOS menu :
- boots BCD menu
- boots Grub4dos
- boots Grub2 BIOS
- boot bootable Windows drives
- Boot ISO if you specify the entries
- boot gz extras
- boot EFI boot duet
- HDT (Hardware detection tool)
- memtest

EFI rEFInd (default EFI boot menu)
- boots EFI BCD menu
- boots Grub2 EFI
- scans for legacy bootable drives (in my case, it finds the ntfs BIOS USB partition)
- scans for EFI bootable drives
- boots EFI shell (cmd)

BCD EFI menu :
- boots x64 boot.wims
- boot EFI c:\ Windows (if the BCD entry corresponds to your partition)

Grub2 EFI menu :
- boots EFI BCD menu
- boots EFI shell (cmd)
- WIP everything else

To author cds, the trick is in the switches for maximum compatablility.  Some require files less than 4 gig (split wim).  I use :

Windows BIOS and EFI :  oscdimg -lWIN -u1 -h -m -k -oc -bootdata:2#p0,e,b.\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,b.\efi\microsoft\boot\Efisys.bin .\ .\Win_BCD.iso

Windows BIOS only :  oscdimg -lWIN -u1 -h -m -k -oc -bboot\etfsboot.com .\ %systemdrive%\Win_BCD.iso

Isolinux :  mkisofs -J -R -T -v -l -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -volid 'ISOSYSLINUX' -o %CD%\ISOSYSLINUX.iso %CD%

XP style :  mkisofs -bXP.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984 -boot-load-size 4 -iso-level 2 -J -joliet-long -l -D -relaxed-filenames -N -V XP_SP3 -v -x .DS_Store -o %CD%\Win_XP.iso %CD%

Grub4dos :  mkisofs -J -R -T -v -l -b " & $Target & "boot/grub4dos/grldr -c " & $Target & "boot/grub4dos/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -volid 'Grub' -o %CD%\Grub4dos.iso " & $Target

Windows BCD and Grub2 (refind) EFI :  cdimage -lWIN_GRUB -j1 -u1 -e -m -h -bootdata:2#p0,e,b.\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,b.\efi\microsoft\boot\Grub.bin %cd% %cd%\Win_efiGRUB.iso
(you are just substituting grub.bin for efisys.bin)

Make Bootable Windows USB :  bootsect /nt60 USBDRIVELetter: /force /mbr

Make Bootable Syslinux USB :
%~dp0syslinux.exe -f -d /boot/isolinux USBDRIVELetter: %~dp0syslinux.bin
%~dp0syslinux.exe -m -a -d /boot/isolinux USBDRIVELetter:

Example for booting Ubuntu and BT5 from grub4dos :

iftitle [if exist /LINUX/BT5/casper/vmlinuz]    BackTrack 5 (1024x768) Persistent\nType startx to run GUI once booted PERSISTENT
kernel /LINUX/BT5/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed live-media-path=/LINUX/BT5/casper boot=casper persistent locale=en_US.UTF-8 keyb=us textonly noprompt vga=791--
initrd /LINUX/BT5/casper/initrd.gz

iftitle [if exist /LINUX/UBUNTU/casper/vmlinuz]    Ubuntu 12.14
kernel /LINUX/UBUNTU/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed live-media-path=/LINUX/UBUNTU/casper boot=casper locale=en_US.UTF-8 keyb=us textonly noprompt vga=791--
initrd /LINUX/UBUNTU/casper/initrd.lz

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef

How my USB 2 partition drive behaves during the boot process.

For Hybrid BIOS\EFI bios, i have a gigabyte motherboard.  In the bios, i select boot from EFI.

Booting from USB will default to EFI.  By pressing f12 i can select the boot device.  UFD 3.0 Silicon-Power32g1.00 is the ntfs mbr partition, and UEFI:  USB Hard Drive is the fat32 USB EFI partition.

Once in rEFInd, it scans for bios mbr drives to boot to.  In my case it looks like this, and if i select it it loads the ntfs mbr partition of the USB.

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »

ChrisR

• Moderator, Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You must changed your profile to put Halikus with a capital H :band:
Unfortunately for me, still no hardware to test all this.

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef
Sorry, im not sure what you mean by changing the H.  My oven profile, or mega?

Regardless, the mbr bios stuff should still be useful, and you can minimally test EFI stuff in VMware.  The iso works in Vmware just fine, but you have to add your own wim files.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:05:28 PM by halikus »

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »

ChrisR

• Grand Chef
Sorry, im not sure what you mean by changing the H.  My oven profile, or mega?
Sorry for my poor english, it was a (French) compliment to say that I really appreciate  :thumbsup:
I have already downloaded your BIOS_and_EFI and I am ready for the day when I need it.

Regardless, the mbr bios stuff should still be useful, and you can minimally test EFI stuff in VMware.  The iso works in Vmware just fine, but you have to add your own wim files.
Yep, I will test it in VMware.

Thanks for this sharing, it is better than any tutorial  :great:

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »

laddanator

• Chef
Just ordered an Asus desktop board that supports secure boot and (U)EFI bios. This way, I can turn on secure boot and test what will or what will not pass secure boot from my USB drive. I have been testing on OEM Windows 8 machines but  they belong to customers and I have to give those back so I got an old case to put the board in and this will be my full time secure boot testing machine. I hope to report good things.

halikus, thank you for your very informative information.  :thumbsup:

Also, halikus, can't seem to download your ISO. Stops at 3%
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:13:15 AM by laddanator »

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef
Hi Lad, looks like Skynet won that round :)

I lost the bookmark to the thread and got sidetracked, but i found it again.  Hers another ISO i uploaded if you come across this thread, i hope it works.
https://mega.co.nz/#!zUd3iBKB!TqYAbHmsqw6JwNJhVfVLJFPco24XciyW3QtDZwbzCSM

Something new i added was the wonderfull Easy2boot project in Grub4dos.  You can put any ISO in the _ISO dir and it will show up in the grub4dos menu and boot if you select it.  The same works for gz, img, ima, and a bunch of others if you put them in _ISO\UTILITY.

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »

laddanator

• Chef

Something new i added was the wonderfull Easy2boot project in Grub4dos.  You can put any ISO in the _ISO dir and it will show up in the grub4dos menu and boot if you select it.  The same works for gz, img, ima, and a bunch of others if you put them in _ISO\UTILITY.

This new G4D trick only works under non UEFI secure boot bios. Correct?

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »

halikus

• Jr. Chef
Correct.  I noticed i uploaded my testing iso by accident too, so there may be a few work in progress things in the menu.  Also, as this approach uses ramdisk to make the on the fly menu, menu.mnu acts as menu.lst, so edit that.  As for the EFI folder, its pretty much the same as a month ago i think.  I haven't worked on it for awhile so i think it works ok.  The last thing i remember doing was refining grub2 efi, and adding x86 support.  From USB, you can add more efi files by placing them in the efi directory, but from cd you are limited to what you can fit inside grub.bin in efi\microsoft\boot.  When adding things to efi, if you look inside the efi\boot\icons dir and it has an icon for what you are adding, name the dir the same as the icon and it will have the proper icon in the rEFInd menu and will be autodetected. 

Also, if you want to author a cd for any reason, there is a handy ISO.cmd inside \boot\resources that you can run.  Don't move it, it will cd.. back to the root for the iso source.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:56:08 AM by halikus »

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »

ChrisR

• Grand Chef
Still does not have the EFI hardware, I tested your "accident" iso in VMware.
Allways interresting, particularly the legacy mode   :thumbsup:

in EFI, I do not know if there is an option for the CSM support, I have this Refind's message.

Code: [Select]
NOTE: refind.conf's 'scanfor' line specifies scanning for one or more legacy (BIOS) boot options:
however, this is not possible because your computer lacks the necessary compatibility module (CSM) support.

* Hit any key to continue *

Then I have refind with W8x64 and W8x86

Have you a trick to test the EFI with a USB stick in VMWare?
I saw something with plop but I have not tested yet.

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Easy2Boot now supports UEFI booting.

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 03:28:52 AM »

devdevadev

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014

Here is a small ISO with my progress for anyone that would like to use it as a template, and it will do the following.

https://mega.co.nz/#!zUd3iBKB!TqYAbHmsqw6JwNJhVfVLJFPco24XciyW3QtDZwbzCSM

These work from ntfs or fat32 USB, and CD\DVD.  EFI will only boot from a fat32 usb, or with the dual partition trick on your USB.  Grub2 EFI is a WIP, i am in the process of adding knoppix Grub2 for maximum support.  From cd grub2 is minimal because of the size of grub.bin.  There is a cmd file named @BCD.cmd that you can use to make a custom BCD file.  Edit your paths accordingly.

Hello 'HALIKUS' SIR,

First thousands of thanks and regards for your Ultimate, Smart and Most useful research work. I am a big fan of your 'Modified E2B' files.

The above download link of your special 'Small ISO' is not working. Please upload your latest 'Modified E2B and Small ISO' and all other special stuffs.....

I highly need your extra-ordinary files if you don't have any problem to share with us....

Thanks in Advance

Regards.......