Topic: Internet Explorer 10 Script  (Read 8512 times)

Internet Explorer 10 Script
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
CREDITS: My BIG THANK YOU for the TheOven.org community!

DESCRIPTION: This is a Internet Explorer 10 script that gives user the ability to use it inside a PE build. With it you can add shortcuts to Desktop, Start Menu, a Start Menu custom folder and you can even configure a few basic options for Internet Explorer 10. To circumvent IE10 limitations when running under System Account Avant Browser may be used as a "wrapper" for IE10 Internet browsing engine. This script has an additional step of downloading four Windows updates which will be integrated into the PE build and are required to make it work (~45 MB). Currently, this script should be only compatible with Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64) based PE builds.

THE PROGRAM: Internet Explorer 10 is fast and fluid. Everything you want to do on the web is a swipe or a tap away, and feels instant. Browser tabs and navigation controls appear only when you need them and quietly get out of the way when you don’t. Quickly find sites by pinning them to your Start screen or add a site to your favorites and access it from anywhere in Internet Explorer. Enjoy reading your news online? Turn on flip ahead to smoothly move from page to page on supported sites. With Internet Explorer 10, you can quickly switch between tabs and access your favorite sites.

FROM AUTHOR: I hope you like using it as much as I liked creating it. I hope you can test and post your comments here. I would like suggestions on how to clean/improve this script.

VERSION: 1

CHANGELOG: v1: First release.

DOWNLOAD: * IE Internet Explorer 10.7z (1231.66 kB - downloaded 537 times.)

Best regards,

Aeolis
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:48:26 AM by Aeolis »

Re: Internet Explorer 10 Script (BETA)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »

SIW2

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I already have ie10 running in win 8 pe. It works ok - it downloads but to nowhere that I can see.

I also have ie11 running in the blue pe thing - same story with downloading.

I don't know what is causing the problem.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42:39 AM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I also have a beginning of IE10 for Windows 8, but not written in script for now to share it.
But like you, the downloading and Save as .mht .htm .html do not work !!! :confused:.
I'll write a script when I have some time and maybe someone will provide a solution  :wink:

3) When running IE10 inside PE environment it runs and displays webpages, but it doesn't display embedded images (jpg, bmp, gif etc.). It can't display image files directly into IE10 interface as well which leads me to think that some image render component is missing. It displays flash animations if you've integrate Adobe Flash into your build.
This seems to be a problem with the Classes registry written.
try by removing HKLM\Tmp_Software\Classes\CLSID part in your IEPERegistry, I have not searched further.

also Remove All 'Interactive User' value.
RegDelete,HKLM,Tmp_software\Classes\AppID\.......,RunAs

:cheers:

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:10:18 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Dear ChrisR,

Thank you for your suggestions, but the suggestion below doesn't fixed neither the pictures problem nor the download problem.

also Remove All 'Interactive User' value.
RegDelete,HKLM,Tmp_software\Classes\AppID\.......,RunAs

After trying to do the action below IE10 simply didn't open anymore.

This seems to be a problem with the Classes registry written.
try by removing HKLM\Tmp_Software\Classes\CLSID part in your IEPERegistry, I have not searched further.

I will keep trying. Thank you all for your suggestions. Any further information, please, share it here.

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Hello folks,

Thank you all! I have found the problem which was preventing IE 10 from displaying pictures at all. It was a error in the "IEPECreator.exe" which is the core of IE script. "IEPECreator.exe" was writing wrong path values for .dll in Registry. I have updated the script and the limitation list in the first post, so we can keep the debugging process. Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Aeolis, your IE 10 script works perfectly, very good work!  :thumbsup:
I tested it with Win7PESE.

Is there a way to use Tracking Protection (for instance this list), too?

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:54:17 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Dear Mikka,

Please, could you give more details? Have you being able to download or save webpages using the IE10 script provided in the first post? If yes, please, post a detailed log of your build.

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Dear Mikka,

This IE10 script has a know bug when downloading and saving webpages as is reported in the first post. So, Mikka, if you are able run it perfectly as you have stated, please, post your build log file. I really ask that because the solution for that known bug lies in your log. I really need it.

Please Mikka help us developing this script further.

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Ah, I see. No, didn't try to download. Saving (complete) websites seems to fail, too. Nothing I usually do in a PE, but of course that's an issue. And to sum up to the list of these things, go to this site and click on Fanboy - Adblock for example. A message will show up that the Tracking Protection has failed...

Didn't verify that for your IE9 script, though.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Hello folks,

Just reporting my latest findings. After a lot of research I have found a few (very few) references to similar issues related to the download limitation in IE10. Those references all pointed in the same direction which was to rebuild the Windows user profile (they all said that after doing that everything was fine again). I have tried to find out which files/folders related to Windows user profile may IE10 need without success. I will try harder in the weekend, but Windows internal structures are not my forte.

Other references pointed out to this site as a solution: http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=35&id=133&artlang=en . I have tried that and it didn't work, but maybe someone could have more luck.

Best regards,

Aeolis
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:33:49 PM by Aeolis »

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hi Aeolis,

I also saw a lot of post on it, often after a migration IE9 to IE10
I already tried, by removing Target\Win8PESE\Users\Default folder and recreating the image and ISO.
The Default profile is well recreated at startup but there is no change in IE10 download.

I will try to look why the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder is not defined in historic option and why we can not set the cache

:cheers:

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Hello folks,

I have done a few more testing and found the following. Lancelot's suggestion of using an external download tool worked like a charm. I have tried Free Download Manager (FDM) and it worked. FDM was able to successfully intercept all download requests and download the files. Which leads me to think that the save/download bug in IE10 is not related to the download/save request calls made by the system itself, but to IE10 failure when loading the called components.

I have found out that IE10 is able to change the Windows Registry keys related to the options under "General Tab" inside the "Internet options" menu. For instance, I have changed the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" option from "Automatically" to "Every visit to the page" and IE10 was able to change the related Windows Registry key value ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\SyncMode5") from "4" to "3" which reflects the option change. The same is true for other Windows Registry keys like "CacheLimit" (related to the size of cache) and "Cache" folder location under "Shell Folders" and "User Shell folders" Windows Registry keys.

But, unfortunately, although IE10 is able to change those Registry keys it is not able to query those values back and reflect the changes in "Internet Options" interface. It seems that IE10 simply ignores those values. It looks almost as IE10 were running "sandboxed".

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:40:36 AM by Aeolis »

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 04:30:38 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Hello folks,

Following directions given by 2aCD in the other IE10 forum post (the Windows 8 PE one) I have done some tests using "PsExec" in my working machine and in my Windows 7 PE. I have found that 2aCD is right :great:. When I run IE10 in my working machine under a "System Account" I have the same problems with IE10 (downloads/save pages don't work at all). So I have tried to run IE10 on Windows 7 PE under a Limited Account using PsExec (using the reverse logic feature of my brain  :rolf: - which by the way doesn't work always), but without success.

As my knowledge about Windows security permissions and Account Levels is not very good I ask you: Is it possible to run a program onr Windows 7 PE using "PsExec" under a Limited User Account?

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 06:20:11 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Is it possible to run a program onr Windows 7 PE using "PsExec" under a Limited User Account?

Let me know If you can  :wink: I had tried same thing in very past without success.. (my test purpose was to get TeamViewer latest work which also doesn't like System Account...)

Maybe this helps:
I guess (maybe) reason behind is no other user defined on registry with PE !!!!
 If so, maybe there is a way to add another user to user list, like "Administrator" with a default password=asdf
====> let us know If you can achive that, with a standalone plugin :)
  this way we can start these "stubborn" applications with "Administrator" using psexec or other stuff :)

ps: 2aCD recently integrated fdm which maybe useful for your plugin  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 07:12:47 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Hello folks,

Thank you Lancelot for the hints :thumbsup:. I will try my best. I have already seen 2aCD work with FDM and IE10, but I would like to fix my IE10 script in its core.

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Good luck  :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention:
I wrote activating (available) "Administrator" account, since I believe many stuff ready for "Administrator" account on registry (remembering windows setup asks for a password input to activate administrator account)
still, I am not sure if this is possible or not (JFX and Chris would know better), since there may be other things related to "PE" boot & behaviour ...... but if possible I feel "Administrator" would be the easiest path ....

It would be a great feature if you can achive, overall Good luck :turtle:

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Hello folks,

Lancelot, after some research around the Internet I have found out, as you've already mentioned, that TeamViewer suffer from the same problem regarding the "System Account" as IE10. Well I have tried all the possible approaches that I could find: "PsExec" trying to run IE10 under limited rights (-l -d parameters) etc, AutoIt creating system accounts and manually creating accounts using "cmd.exe" and "net user" and "net localgroup" "/add" commands; all without sucess.

Finally, I've decided to use the "Switch user to Admin" approach in the "Display Script", but it failed too. It seems that even after changing to Admin the "User Name" of all process still "NT\System" not "Administrator". Well, maybe ChrisR could shed some light on this question.

Best regards,

Aeolis

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »

2aCD

• Code Baker
  • Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hi Aeolis,
I've already tried  to enable the administrator account, some time ago. It did not work. Therefore I have now integrated the fdm. Aeolis, you can use the code from me and registry entries. that should work well also in your addin  :embarrassed:.

Best regards
2acd

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 03:38:02 AM »

Aeolis

• Chef
Hello folks,

Finally, I have found and implemented a workaround for the running under System Account limitations of IE10. I have implemented Avant Browser (http://www.avantbrowser.com/) as a "wrapper" for IE10 Internet browsing engine. Avant Browser has its built-in download manager and is able to save webpages as images (both whole pages and sections of webpages). This way the main limitations of IE10 running under System Account which were not being able to download and save webpages are workarounded.

As a big plus Avant Browser is very small (~14 MB) and it has lots and lots of built-in features to improve user experience. Enjoy this release and I hope to have your feedback. Thank you all for helping me on this IE10 script.

Best regards,

Aeolis
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:49:44 AM by Aeolis »

Re: Internet Explorer 10 Script
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 05:02:11 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
I remember Maxthon was doing similar ;)

Maybe: a seperate plugin for Avantbrowser with interface saying "requires IE" which can be used on these "lots of available IE" around  :lol:
Bonus: it would help future IE (11 or new project) test easier

Obvious Conclusion (from what I read): IE download manager is running but can not be called directly from IE, if so good finding that shows more deep where trouble begins  :great:

Great Work  :cool: :cool: :cool:

:turtle: