Topic: Is there room for the noob?  (Read 7267 times)

Is there room for the noob?
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:04:05 PM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
As the subject says, is there room for a noob like me in this forum? I don't know anything about crafting this kind of tools, yet I want to learn.  I am interested in Win8.1 but I can't find where to start, where to read the basics, etc. Hopefully someone could help me.

Re: Is there room for the noob?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Of course there's room! Specially for MDL friends... Ask away, I'm on Christmas break, so enough time to answer your questions. So download Win81PESE, get your 8.1 source ready (32/64 bit), start WinBuilder.exe and ask away!
You created a nice topic title, maybe others can benefit from your questions as well!
Welcome to TheOven!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:29:54 PM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:49:48 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I am interested in Win8.1 but I can't find where to start,
just be curious with opened eyes   :blink:  :rolleyes:

At top of Each project section, there is
Web page:
Download page:
info  :wink:
Example: Check the top of Win81SE section http://theoven.org/index.php?board=33.0

Also every project have a "Release" section sticky at top, giving more "First Step" info :blink:  :rolleyes:

each project package have executable inside,
 since you are interested in Win81, when you get the package you will quickly notice Win81SE80_Builder.exe , Win81SE82_Builder.exe
   try Win81SE82_Builder.exe  :thumbsup:

Rest is written on builder interface, easy to follow  :great:
 After spending some time, you will discover all  :great:

Happy Christmas to All  :xmas-beer:

See You around
:turtle:

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:03:20 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Lancelot is also available for help all the time.
Maybe you're from the same country as him, in that case you will probably be able to follow his instructions...
:xmas-grin: sorry Lancelot, just a joke, I think it's because I already started celebrating the Season... :xmas-beer:

:xmas-wink: So c'mon Mr. X, rise and shine, time for your first Win81SE build!!  :xmas-thumbsup:

EDIT: Sorry Lancelot, didn't even notice that Win8.1SE bit!!!
But for me, I still use the PE mode, so in a sense, it's still Win8.1PESE for me (but I will try to quit).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:10:42 AM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:08:11 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
 :thumbsup:

I just put additional info and write correct notations (like Win81PESE -> Win81SE  , ..)

Be around Atari800xl, I will be a bit away for a while on this celebrating Season,
 My Exam Season coming.   ( Winter is Coming  http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_is_Coming_%28motto%29 )

Happy Christmas  :xmas-beer:

See You
:turtle:

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
@Atari800xl and Lancelot

Many thanks for your kind replies and the warm welcome. I'll be around here more often after Christmas celebrations in the meantime I'll try your kind advice.

Merry Christmas :great:

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
Well, I decided to begin today  :smile: there is no reason to wait any longer...
Your said I need Win8.1 installation media, alright, I have plenty of media. A few questions:
1. I want to use Spanish language Win8.1 installation discs because I want to share my tool, I guess there is no problem with languages, is there?
2. Which one to pick, I mean x86 or x64 architecture, what is the needed criteria to choose?

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
1. Spanish is OK, the scripts contain special code that recognizes your language. Try this:
- Mount your Windows 8.1 source iso (x86 or x64)
- Start Win81SE82_Builder.exe, click the "source" button on top (right below the last "r" in the "Winbuilder" title)
- Select your mounted iso by clicking the button to the right of the first dropdown
- Now change back to the Script tab by clicking "Script" on top
- Click on "Images configuration" (third item in the tree on the left)
- Click the big "Save/Get Wim Info" on the right, at the bottom
- You will now start to see the big flashing green bars, this is to inform you that Winbuilder is working (it is converting and extracting the code to run the desired tools). After a few seconds, the results of "Get Wim Info" are shown in the top right corner. If all went well, you'll see that your language was picked up correctly.
- Just for information, you can also expand the "Build" tab on the left, then click "Retrieve More Localized Info". There's nothing to click here, but from the explanation on the right you can tell that the project will also pick up date format, etc.

2. Both x86 and x64 are fine. Maybe start with x86, for me personally x64 is only needed on the latest PC's with Secureboot. But it's a personal choice, if you want to go with the latest and greatest, go for x64 right away.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
How can I insert a customized image beside ChrisR Logo in System window? I am going to share my customized RamOS so I really need to add this image.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
Have you done a successful build yet? I wouldn't worry about the logo just yet. ChrisR deserves all the credit, don't you agree? Please let us know if your build was successful first.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
Please, and this goes for everybody. Don't get me wrong about the image I want to insert, I don't pretend to "steal" ChisrR credits whatsoever, I just want to have my bit of credit in Spanish communities that are going to make use of my RamOS, that's it. That's why I said "beside" ChrisR, but it's fine by the time being as Atari800xl says I need to learn first how to do my first projects.

@Atari800xl
I am doing fine, see I was able after spending some hours —my weary brain cpu don't allow me for more power  :tongue:, I was able to tailor my own RamOS. Anyway I need further testing and creating, likewise trial and error  while crafting my RamOS because I've notice a persistent BSOD when using Modern GUI in x64 architecture when switching among full menu and pinned programs. On x86 it works flawlessly.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
Mr. X, you answered 100% correctly on the "credit where credit is due" issue.
To modify the logo:
- Expand Build/2- Shell & Config
- Click the tiny little blue tool just below the "Source" button (top - middle). It's a tiny little bugger, look for it carefully (It's above the little *green* play button)
- Click on the "Attachments" button (top - middle)
- Click on the "Logo" folder (From the Tools/ Logo/ Src/ Reg tree)
- Now you'll see a "Logo.bmp" file on the right. Click on it.
- Click on the button "Extract" on the left.
- Extract to a folder of your choice. Leave WinBuilder open.
- Edit the BMP in your favorite editing program. (I'm not sure if the size must stay the same, other will have to help with that, or you'll have to try it out by trial and error).

- In Winbuilder: click on the "old" Logo.bmp, right-click, select "Delete"
- Click on the button to the left of "Add.." on the left
- In the "File encoder" window: Click "Add", select your edited file, click "Start" to start the encoding - click "OK"

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:37:52 AM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Small oem logo that I allowed myself  :wink:
Atari800xl  procedure is OK  :thumbsup:
To avoid to repeat the work for the next updates, you can optionally create a script for that (ex: 1-10_OemLogo.script in  Finals folder)

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
ChrisR, is the logo size fixed to 118x48 or not?

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
It seems that it is 120x120 pixels maximum.
It must be a .bmp file in 32-bit color.

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »

JonF

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
It's worth noting that distributing your built Win8.1SE to others is a violation of Microsoft's redistribution terms. Whether or not you will get in any trouble is a different question.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
It's worth noting that distributing your built Win8.1SE to others is a violation of Microsoft's redistribution terms. Whether or not you will get in any trouble is a different question.
Thanks JonF for your kind advice, I will take it into account.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
What is considered a portable and pseudo-portable app?

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
Mr. X, maybe take a lot over here:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php
Also look at the software on that site for examples...
It's not an exact science, but a Portable program doesn't require installation, can run from "anywhere" (which in our case also means: in a PE environment, from usb, net, disk, etc.), and doesn't write its settings to the registry. A perfect portable program would just exist of a single .exe, maybe with an .ini file for its settings.
For PE, there are different degrees of "Portable": programs that require some sort of Visual C++ runtime, for example, can still be considered portable, they just have some "file dependencies"...
Pseudo-portable could mean: there are only very minimal requirements (maybe just one or a few .dll's), which can be added to the program folder to make it run. In my case, one example comes to mind: I use Paintshop Pro with mfc42.dll and some other dll's, all files in the folder total 11mb, very nice for simple editing, also for PE, eg. for editing screenshots, etc. etc
Even Word and Excel from Office '97 can be run semi-portable, you just have to click away the "Can't find library xxx" message (hey, that's what autoit is for!)
This is how I look at it, I'm sure others will answer differently...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:04:26 AM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »

Mr.X

• Jr. Chef
Thanks Atari800xl for your kind reply. Now I understand a bit more about. By the way I want to include in my RamOS 1 pseudo-portable because it needs to write on the registry for the serial. On a normal Windows it runs fine but not in RamOS. If you could take a look?...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:14:29 AM by Mr.X »