Topic: TeraByte Image for Windows  (Read 8980 times)

TeraByte Image for Windows
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:04 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Thanks to the hint of oliverjia I tested IFW and liked it!
Grown fond of it, I wrote a plugin and share it with the forums. More information on the imaging solution is available here.

In order to use my plugin, execute the PE Builder Plugin Installer (IFW Start Menu) and generate a folder with PE files.
Create an archive PE.7z of these 7 files, point the plugin to it, and you're done!
(I won't embed the files themselves into the script due to legal reasons.)

Feedback is welcome. Enjoy!

Update: A new script version for the latest version has been attached.

* TeraByte Image for Windows.script (22.13 kB - downloaded 175 times.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:12:47 AM by Mikka, Reason: Updated script »

Re: TeraByte Image for Windows 2.87
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Thanks Mikka, the more "backupper" scripts, the better!
So this is for version 2.87, the paid version, right? There is also a 30day version of this, but the backups created with that version can't be used after 30 days!
EDIT: I guess you need to put the license info (of an installed version?) in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses] or
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Licenses]
(2 entries)

EDIT2: Yes, I also love this program. Even if you use the free version, where images are only "good" for 30 days, it can have its use, eg. when you're working on somebody's PC, and want to make a backup before fiddling around with it.
Of course, there's also Aomei (fast!) and Macrium (slightly less fast) as free alternatives...

...and another free alternative I haven't seen here: Active@ Disk Image. This one also seems close to perfect, I guess no script is even needed, because it can run fully portable. Still, a script would be nice for some, I guess.
I guess it's time for a general thread for "Disk Imaging news" here...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:02:43 AM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:05:32 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Yes, IFW is commercial software, however less expensive than Acronis' TI and very well documented, too.
The scripting features look interesting, too -- yet haven't had the time to check it thoroughly...

Good point with the license data, I'll have to re-check this if that needs to be added.

EDIT:
Totally agree with you. One program I'd really love to have in Win8PESE is ShadowProtect of StorageCraft.
ShadowProtect Recovery Environment basically runs in Win8PESE, however, as it's not designed for it, you'll get error messages and stuff running it. The manufacturer doesn't support its use in different scenarios like this which is quite a shame...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:12:22 AM by Mikka »

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
I first thought there maybe was a chance the license key would not be necessary in PE, but of course these guys are smarter than that (they made one of the most compact imagers around [2mb for 32bit, 3mb for 64bit], no libs needed, so looks like it's all ml or similar code, so I guess they're smart enough as well to code some code into the backup files).
I tested this with setting the date ahead (you'll get a warning that the backup can't be used anymore).
But as I said, even with a max period of 30 days per backup, it can have its uses...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:19:13 AM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Of course, there's also Aomei (fast!) and Macrium (slightly less fast) as free alternatives...
also check
Yomi\AppY\HD Tasks\Imaging\"Odin_L"
Yomi\AppY\HD Tasks\Imaging\"savepart PartitionSaving"
and I feel you can find ghost11 around internet
Yomi\AppY\HD Tasks\Imaging\"Ghost L" (when backup, use fast option to get better comparision :wink: )
also
Gena\Apps\HD Tasks\Imaging\"DriveSnapshot" ==> check this deeply  :wink:
Gena\Apps\HD Tasks\Imaging\DriveImage XML (Private Edition)

because it can run fully portable. Still, a script would be nice for some, I guess.
as you know only 2 minutes (or 10 seconds) with Utils\"PC Packed"  :lol:
Besides it is always better to see the plugin written by the one who is actually using such software,
 naturally such plugin have more details providing more unseen features of application even when it has portable nature..

I guess it's time for a general thread for "Disk Imaging news" here...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
with your test results , comments and links to available plugins etc.....

:turtle:

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
Lancelot, thank you very much for replying. I might try the Yomi scripts you suggested, I'm not sure if these are as up to date/ easy to use, etc. as the one I mentioned, there really seem to be a lot of alternatives at the moment!!
About creating plugins: Yes, that is nice for some, but sometimes it's also good to try to find out what goes on "behind the scenes" of a program as well, this way you can adapt/ change  things a lot quicker when new versions of the software come out.
Another thing is that there is not really all too much interest in it (as far as I can see) at the moment. I might be wrong.
Last: A lot of nice and free backuppers are almost portable these days, TeraByte Image, Macrium and Active@ Disk Image are examples of this.
Well, thanks again for your replies, always nice to see some discussion going on around here!!!

Re: TeraByte Image for Windows 2.8x
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 02:59:45 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Lancelot's scripts are very good, however some tools are obsolete and, for instance, lack GPT support.
That's a reason I don't use Norton Ghost 15. And even if tools do support GPT etc., there might still be bugs...

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 05:02:38 AM »

oliverjia

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Thanks Mikka for the script!
Yes all the registration information for IFW is in imagew.ini..
Great program, very reliable for backup and restore.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 05:18:53 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
Oliverjia, could you please give a template of how the licensing is stored in the .ini file? Don't use the actual serial number of course, I'm just curious about the format.
From an older registered version, I found out where it was stored in the registry, I was able to reproduce this in PE with the reg settings I mentioned. But an .ini would probably be a better idea.

You know I created an MDL topic about this as well, my favorites at this moment are Acronis, Active@ Disk image, Aoemei, Drive Snapshot, Macrium and Terabyte. That's 6 great programs that can be built into WinPE(SE), totalling less than 150mb for all six. I will keep them all for now, time will tell which one will hold up the best.
For example: Drive Snapshot is tiny and fast, but it looks like a one-man operation, which is always slightly "dangerous" of course.
One more thing: I liked the way Drive Snapshot stores its registration info: Straight *into* the exe itself. So even after registration, you only need a single .exe (no .ini, no .reg)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:19:36 AM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 06:35:04 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
See the IFW manual on page 10:
Image for Windows registration information can be permanently applied to the system using IMAGEW.INI. To use this method, open a text editor such as Notepad, and add the following content:

[License]
Key=User Name XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Where User Name is the registered name to be applied, and XXXX[…] is the applicable registration key. Save this file as IMAGEW.INI in the same folder where IMAGEW.EXE resides.
Should work --if the nag screen won't reappear...

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 09:41:24 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
Hi Mikka,

I use old ghost11.5 to backup partition (w81x64) of a 1TB gpt disk (volume) without trouble  :great:
ps: I only backup os partition
ps2: I don't use ghost7 since I don't use dos anymore, I feel ghost7 would also work on this case

I am sure I need to learn more about GPT , besides backup/restore partition (not whole disk) is so far working fine, I am sure it will work fine further on other backup tools, since I feel backing up a partition is a simple operation.

Well I plan to increase my knowledge on disks in future....

I am planning to use Snapshot or savepart in far future  :cool:
 Even maybe TeraByte since it seems to me nice too.
  I like one man operations, they are far more stable than others in long term.
ps: Snapshot's hotbackup (on hostos)+portable+small features always charming  :wink:

I am sure there is a value to use big megabyte big firm utilities to backup/restore,
 They provide more features that to me fits companies/univercities etc. that maintains hundereds of pc , some special configurations,
   things that are not required for home or small business  :wink:

Sorry for interrupting, I hope Atari800xl open a general topic somewhere with his results soon where writing general would be better :wink:

See You

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »

oliverjia

• Jr. Chef
Yes the format in Mikka's post is the correct format.
I like Active Disk Image and AOMEI, however both do not fully support UEFI/secure boot yet. So I'll temporarily put them on my waiting list of imagers until then fully support my system. Currently I have Acronis, IFW, Drive Snapshot. Drive Snapshot v1.43 appears vastly improved in terms of speed and compression as compared to previous versions - on par with IFW. Looks like I'll keep these 3 for a while..

Oliverjia, could you please give a template of how the licensing is stored in the .ini file? Don't use the actual serial number of course, I'm just curious about the format.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
Oliverjia, thanks for testing, we've covered a lot of ground in the last few weeks!
Can you please give a little more details of what Aomei lacks in UEFI/ secure boot support, so I can add it to my little overview at MDL? [EDIT: Never mind, saw your post over there!]
Nice (and strange...) to see Drive Snapshot has "suddenly" improved, I was very surprised as well, I seem to recall testing it years ago and also not liking it very much (maybe also related to speed).
I think 6 different imagers (including Macrium) are quite enough for now, there's something for everyone: paid of free, tiny or compact (none are bloated), cool looking or cheap looking (with absolutely no effect on the actual workings of the programs), portable or "script for drivers needed", etc.
As I said, no bloatware in these 6, all recent versions, all working in 64bit PE, all with some form of image mounting/ exploring.

EDIT: BTW: Drive Snapshot is an amazing piece of software. All that power crammed into that tiny .exe!! What surpirsed me most was that the 64bit exe is actually smaller than the 32bit exe!! (342 and 370kb!! - Most people can't even produce a JPG that small...So this imager is smaller than an image)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:01:14 PM by Atari800xl »

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »

oliverjia

• Jr. Chef
Correct - The author of Drive Snapshot is truly a genius. I always wonder how he managed to pack so much power into such a tiny exe. I mean, the speed and compression, together with reliability, are the key points for imaging apps, I think DS has all these three. Even better now it has official Windows 8.1 UEFI GPT support. I must admit DS is my biggest surprise in years, due to its power and its small size...
I'll test its performance on SSD and report back..

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »

Atari800xl

• Code Baker
  • Sr. Chef
See the IFW manual on page 10:
Image for Windows registration information can be permanently applied to the system using IMAGEW.INI. To use this method, open a text editor such as Notepad, and add the following content:

[License]
Key=User Name XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Where User Name is the registered name to be applied, and XXXX[…] is the applicable registration key. Save this file as IMAGEW.INI in the same folder where IMAGEW.EXE resides.
Should work --if the nag screen won't reappear...
Just tested it, works fine. Remember to make the imagew.ini read-only, if you're putting it on a USB! If you don't, the file will be empty next time!

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
I hope Atari800xl open a general topic somewhere

Else any image software topic would be interrupted by others, yesterday acronis, today terabyte , tomorrow ....

See You

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 12:51:03 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Maybe a separate thread is a good idea. :wink:

I agree on the need for such a topic. For the record, I recently posted a feature request in StorageCraft's forum.
They didn't entirely reject it (yet), so maybe they'll ponder on it...

Re: TeraByte Image for Windows
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 03:13:18 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
The script has been updated.

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »

Prz42

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Did you look at my script for TeraByte Image for Windows?
It can be used as the Pro or Normal.
http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1290.msg15018#msg15018

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »

Mikka

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Well, this looks like quite a comfortable plugin.
I simply took the basic TeraByte draft and extended it to meet my needs.
You also included a deployment procedure for the installer - also a good idea.
:thumbsup: