Re: Easy DISM
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2017, 02:31:34 AM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice, thanks for all your work done on Easy_DISM  :thumbsup:
As you are  working on the driver export tab, an idea if you have some time:
It would be good to have the dism extracted drivers organized in sub-folders. As DoubleDrivers does, using I guess: [version] Class = Net in inf files
Only an idea, be free to take it or not  :wink:

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Hey Chris great Idea!
The way driver folders get named it's hard to know what's what.
Using the Class ID from inf file should be able to make a few directories and move some folders around.

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
"There can be only one" No spaces in path to program folder.

just an idea to keep in mind.

You may use "shortpath" feature provided by windows.
If you decide: I advice first test if "shortpath" enabled and operational.  :wink:
                         Keep in mind, "shortpath" enabled as default, but rarely disabled by end users...... (so better test)
                                We use this "shortpath test method" on some plugins  :wink:

not required, only idea to keep in mind if you need one day.

:turtle:

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
@Lancelot
Not familiar with shortpath so I Googled it.
With my limited knowledge afraid to try.

It would be nice to run Easy_Dism from "Program Files".
Fixed all the problems of spaces in file path except for Easy_DISM folder itself.
It is annoying but I can deal with it.

I want to post Easy_DISM to the AutoIt forum for 2 reasons.
1: More Exposure ,want to give the other DISM GUIs some competition (see who is the best).
2: Need some help\advice. See if this last space in file path can be fixed
    I have questions about some of the recent additions made, got to be a better way.
    Currently working on what Chris suggested.
    Read the .inf file strip White spaces from required string create new folder structure
    using class name and provider. Haven't tried moving files to new folder yet.
    Recursive search for .inf, DISM assigns folder names including .inf.
    Example: nv_dispiwu.inf_x86_neutral_a49377ab801ab8a9.
    Will I first have to strip .inf from folder names?

Like I said need some advice!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:29:54 PM by trashy »

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2017, 09:25:56 AM »

Lancelot

• Gena Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
@Lancelot
With my limited knowledge afraid to try.
my post was only an info
    Good choice, better not to use.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:27 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Much thanks to Subz at AutoIt for showing me the power of using an array!

DISM driver export sorted to class name, provider name, original folder.

Example folder structure : x:\drivers\display\nvidia\blahblahblah\driver files
When naming folders microsoft can come up with some whoppers!

All credit goes to Subz he wrote the script all I had to do was make a few minor changes.
May be a couple days before I get a chance to add it to Easy_DISM but I have tested and works perfect!
Any request for changes before I do?

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2017, 05:09:54 AM »

ChrisR

• Win7PE SE Baker
  • Grand Chef
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I read your exchange with Subz. Great  :thumbsup:
The code could also be included (or same in PB) in Drivers integration for the export function.
Good integration, with a pre-selected option or by default directly, as you wish, into Easy_DISM  :thumbsup:

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
The celebration may be premature after putting the process through rigorous testing running into some serious problems. My initial test was with an online Windows when I test from PE on an offline Windows partition only copies about half the drivers. Also using [SourceDiskFiles] read from .inf to copy driver files not working well with older drivers.

The process as it is now would work nicely to export drivers from online Windows to import to a PE build but not a solution for my situation.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:14:02 PM by trashy »

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Subz to the rescue!!! I need to do some more testing but think this time it is perfect.

I can tweak folder depth now it's classname\originalfolder\driverfiles or
would you prefer classname\providername\originalfolder\driverfiles.

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2017, 11:54:17 PM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Hi
Just found this.
I wanted to see if it could split a large .esd into small .swm wim files.
The Split form does not seem to recognise .esd files.
So I tried the Export tab.
I am using the x64 version of Easy_DISM on Win10 x64 (latest version) and pointed it at a Install.esd file extracted from a  Win10_Anniversary_Home_Pro_32_64.iso (I used the \x86\sources\install.esd file).
Easy_BCD reported Error: 87  The parameter is incorrect.

2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=10.0.14393, Running architecture=amd64, Number of processors=4
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Dism.exe version: 10.0.14393.0
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Executing command line: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism.exe  /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:"C:\temp\install.esd" /index:"1

2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=10468 TID=10476 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\System32\Dism\SiloedPackageProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=10468 TID=10476 Failed to Load the provider: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Dism\SiloedPackageProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FolderManager
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: WimManager
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: WimManager.
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: VHDManager
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: GenericImagingManager
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: GenericImagingManager.
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: Compatibility Manager
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: Compatibility Manager.
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FfuManager
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=10468 TID=10476 Getting Provider GenericImagingManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=10468 TID=10476 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=10468 TID=10476 Invalid file extension for the image file: "esd" - CGenericImagingManager::GetImageInfoCollection(hr:0x80070057)
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=10468 TID=10476 onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\imagingprovider\dll\genericimagingmanager.cpp:928 - CGenericImagingManager::InternalOpGetImageByIndex(hr:0x80070057)
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=10468 TID=10476 onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\imagingprovider\dll\genericimagingmanager.cpp:1276 - CGenericImagingManager::InternalDisplayAdvancedInfo(hr:0x80070057)
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=10468 TID=10476 onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\imagingprovider\dll\genericimagingmanager.cpp:1249 - CGenericImagingManager::InternalCmdGetInfo(hr:0x80070057)
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Error                 DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=10468 TID=10476 onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\imagingprovider\dll\genericimagingmanager.cpp:535 - CGenericImagingManager::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070057)
2017-02-02 09:45:59, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 11:59:47 PM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
Dism.exe  /Get-WimInfo /wimFile:"C:\temp\install.esd" /index:"1"
Dism.exe  /Get-WimInfo /wimFile:"C:\temp\install.esd"

These both work...

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2017, 12:44:42 AM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
I find the Export form rather confusing

You have fields for:
Source Image
Image Index
Destination image
Make New Image
Destination Name    (use source name)
etc.

There are very few tool tips to help me know what these mean?

Now a .wim or .esd file is like a zip file, it can contain one or more images, so to call the Source an 'image' is very confusing.  Why not call it Source WIM\ESD? Similary 'Make New Image' - do you mean make new WIM?

If I merely want to convert  install.esd to install.wim - what fields do I use?
Why can't I select  Index=All ???
By Destination Image - do you mean Destination WIM file?
What is Make New Image - surely the Destination WIM file will be the new image?
What is Destination Name? Name of what? Filename? Name of the image # selected by the Image Index control?  If I specify the file path + filename in the Destination Image box, why do I also need a name?
Sorry, I find it very confusing...

When is the Image Index selection used? If one of these items causes all images inside the WIM file to be exported (which is what I want), why doesn't the Image Index control get greyed out?

It would also be helpful if you make it obvious when a DISM operation starts (I thought nothing was happening for about 2 minutes!). Maybe grey-out most of control or colour the Status box and print the actual DISM command executed in the Status box so I know something is happening??

Personally, I would like to see what command is about to be executed first, before I say 'Go' and start the DISM command, that way I can see if I am going to waste 30 minutes of my life or not!

P.S. I currently use http://theitbros.com/convert-windows-esd-file-to-windows-wim-file/ to convert multi-image esd to a multi-image .wim file.

[Edit] Sorry - wrong link! Should be:
http://markthetech.com/how-to-convert-install-esd-to-install-wim/

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:09:00 AM by Steve6375, Reason: wrong link given! »

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
@Steve6375
DISM you can only Export 1 Image Index at a time it is not possible to export all.
You can export to an existing Image (add new volume index to existing wim) or make a new Image.
Make a new Image is how DISM converts esd to wim. Select source image (wim or esd)
select destination image or make new select volume index you want to export from source
and destination name is required or default is to use source volume index name. It seems to me
your confusion may be lack of understanding how DISM works.

Just tested export win 8.1 install.esd to install.wim. The 2 Edit fields should be showing all the image
information you are missing but I am showing Error 87 I will have to check into that. However the new
Wim file was created successfully. I don't understand why the Get-WimInfo reports an error with an esd
but works fine with a wim

Look here for Dism cmd line options for export (this is for 8.1 but 10 is still the same)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825258.aspx

Edit: Thanks to your questions I did a little research and discovered the ability to manage and export esd
files was not introduced untill Dism 10. only cmd line I need to change is /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile: only
works for wim files. /Get-WimInfo /WimFile: added in dism 10 works for esd and wim files. I can fix this.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:35:55 PM by trashy »

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
The script that I gave you a link to, uses DISM to make a .wim file from a .esd file which contains ALL the images by using DISM commands.
So it is obviously possible to use DISM for this! it just takes a bit of programming to add the other images...

A wim or esd file is NOT an image, it is a container for 1 or more images (like a zip file is a container for one or more files).

DISM make these container files. It can add or extract images from within them but it does not make images, it adds images into the container file.

To talk about an esd file or a wim file as 'an image' is inaccurate and confusing.

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Dude I never claimed to be anything but an amateur and look at what I accomplished!
I found your comments before to be a little UNGRATEFULL. I guess I wasted 2 years of my life creating
Easy_DISM for someone like you.

Windows Imaging File Format (WIM)
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)
I will keep calling them image files and if you don't like it KISS my you know what

this command line is taken directly from your posted website do you notice " /SourceIndex:1 "
that's one inex at a time you are exporting
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

I thought my streak was over and if your comments are the most gratitude
I can expect for my hard work I know it is!

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2017, 03:49:30 AM »

dazza

• Apprentice
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
trashy

I for one really appreciate the work you do on Easy_DISM - and it is constantly in use at the moment whilst we roll out Windows 10 images to our company

So don't give up - and thanks again

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Sorry I got a little pissed but I just found this insulting

Personally, I would like to see what command is about to be executed first, before I say 'Go' and start the DISM command, that way I can see if I am going to waste 30 minutes of my life or not!

The script that I gave you a link to, uses DISM to make a .wim file from a .esd file which contains ALL the images by using DISM commands.
So it is obviously possible to use DISM for this! it just takes a bit of programming to add the other images...

He is referencing a Web Page that gives a few "Command Line" Examples and calls it a SCRIPT
Then he tells me I'm wrong and a wim isn't an Image File. DUHH!!!

This streak lasted a couple months but it's over I knew it a week ago!
My first PC was a box of parts and Windows 95 on 12 floppy's I have taught myself everything I know.
I know I'm weird but it always comes in spurts like this.
I have 1 more update fix the esd conversion problem and add edition servicing   

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »

Steve6375

• Jr. Chef
@trashy I am sorry if I have upset you with my comments. It was not my intention. I guess I was a little frustrated at having to try to figure out how to use your app and guess what it actually did. I only tried it because I needed something to convert a ESD into a WIM file which it claimed to do, but I eventually found out that it only exported a single-image ESD to a WIM.

The script file link I gave you, I now realise having just checked it, was the wrong link! Try
http://markthetech.com/how-to-convert-install-esd-to-install-wim/. You will see the script will convert a multi-image ESD into a multi-image WIM file.
Apologies again for the confusion.

I was only trying to help you to improve your utility by taking the time to comment on it and give you my impressions. In case you didn't realise, I am a professional computer developer with over 30 years experience and the creator/author of Easy2Boot and RMPrepUSB, so I am not some whining 'newbie' (and sorry if I came across like that!).

If you look here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Imaging_Format
It says
WIM files can contain multiple disk images, which are referenced either by their numerical index or by their unique name.

Again, sorry if I caused offence.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:18:22 PM by Steve6375 »

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
@Steve6375 I appologize for showing my ass You're right I took you for a noob.
RMPrep and all those tutorials have been an inspiration and a great source of information to me.
I should be more patient and respectfull of others.

Almost 60 worked residential construction mostly I do all this for fun and to exersize my brain a little.
Last 2 months have been a frenzy of late nights and no sleep. Easy_DISM I've doubled the number of tabs and functions.
The streak is over I knew it a couple weeks ago, frustrated and worn out. I gotta slow down step back from it a bit.

The ability to export esd to wim was not introduced till DISM 10. I downloaded ESD2WIM Mark The Tech is using
DISM 6.3 (Win8.1) and he found a work around. Looking at his batch script I see he created a temp to accomplish this
and loops through each index to  export all. I can see what he has done but I don't fully understand and I won't copy
someone elses work without permission. I need to come up with a quick fix for export esd to wim, for now it will have
to be restricted to DISM 10 and one index at a time. I can add option to export all later.

Adding tool tips and better directions was something I started working on but the new tabs and functions were
just pouring out. The updates may not come as quickly but it's time to change my focus to this kind of improvements.

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2017, 08:38:23 AM »

trashy

• Code Baker
  • Chef
Easy_DISM v2.5.3
With this update Easy_DISM is now over 3000 lines of code, something I never expected.
Also may be getting into more DISM 10 specific commands. Fixed some bugs with Export ESD to WIM
only works with DISM 10. Came up with an option to export all or rather export Multiple Images from
an ESD or WIM file. Select Make New Image then Select Multi Image Export and check the Image Indexes
you want to export. Added better instructions and tool tips to Export Tab

Created a basic installer, really basic but had to start somewhere.
The installer creates folder structure "Program Files\Easy_DISM\Easy_DISM.exe" and
"ProgramData\EZDISM\EZ_config.ini" ProgramData\EZDISM will also be the new home for DISM 10 files.
Run the installer Easy_DISM will open to Config Tab, under Advanced Settings click the blue link and download
GetWaikTools. Browse for GetWaikTools.zip click install. Dism 10 will be installed to ProgramData\EZDISM\DISM.

I am running Windows 7 32 bit on an old xp machine with 4 gb ram limit and have tested briefly in Windows 8.1.
With the introduction of more DISM 10 specific commands you will need the option to use DISM 10 in Win 8.1.
On the Config Tab Install DISM 10 and change Default to @ProgramData ( DISM 10 Required for Win 7 )
Included directions for all this on Config page and hope this simplifies download and install of DISM 10
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:05:41 AM by trashy »